Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Using a volt reading can be very misleading unless there is no charge or load for an hour or so. The Only way to accurately know the goes inta and the goes outa your battery bank is a battery monitor using a shunt. We have a Victron and it will tell me the percentage of state of charge, though shalt not go below 50%, though shall reach 100% with some regularity!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your inverter is properly sized for your batteries (Roughly 1/3 or better yet 30 percent of the 20 hour amp hour rating of yoru batteries) then re-charge time is around six hours.. Smaller converter, longer recharge time, Larger converter, battery damage is possible.

If you have DEEP CYCLE (Six volt GC-2 pairs) odds of them recovering from a truly deep discharge (Below 50 percent) are very good.

If you have Marine/Deep cycle, (Most 12 volt batteries used in RV's) then first "Too deep" is much fuller (like 75% instead of 50) and odds of recovery are much lower.

Folks argue all the time saying "There is no difference" but.. Well.. I've seen the differences with my own eyes (not a link I can post, my eyes are "Receive only" when it comes to the internet) and the differences are real.

I've also ran my six volt pair down way too far more than once, and they recovered.. They are now over 8 years old and as of this morning.. Still powered the microwave, toaster and computers while I went out to reset the )((@)#*$@)!#)* Circuit breaker.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks All,

We are heading out again to a NASCAR event and I am hoping that the batteries will hold a charge. I had them all replaced and they have been fully charged at home. I will cross my fingers and hope that Hubby can get through the night watching TV. (While I keep the cute blindfold on...the ones that look like the movie stars wear...LOL...) But seriously, I am not sure what more I can do. I hate to start the Gennie this early and run it so long. For the few things that I need...the coffee maker and the hair-dryer, I should not have to switch it on and disturb the folks next to us....

I am at my wits end about this but thanks for letting me rant....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #18

As for the Amperage draw for the forced air propane furnace, my 5W has a 40,000BTU furnace and when operating the sticker says that it draws 11.5 A. That is a big amperage draw! You won't be able to run the furnace very long with out having a "dead" batt.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #19

I ruined 3 batteries every 2 years. I installed solar panels and batteries are fully charged by noon. And hope it's the end of my battery problem. I just could not fully charge my batteries running power only 3 hours per day with a 60amps converter.

I also found out that my battery monitor should not have been in the fair before starting the powerplant and that is why I killed my batteries all the time.
In addition there is a heat strip on most fridges that needs to be off. It will also cause large current draw that can be avoided.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #20

You almost certainly were not getting them fully charged. Consider your load. The coffee maker alone will draw in the vicinity of 100 amps from the battery.

Also, the inverter draws standby current whenever it is on, even if there is no load. It will not be much, but over a full day, it adds up. If you do not have a remote switch for your inverter, you should install one if they are available for your model.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #21

For a detailed discussion about battery charging you can start here

http://cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com

I reference HandyBob there and have a link to his stuff. Having a meter is critical. Solar is a great alternative to generators on RVs. Solar charge controllers do a better job of charging batteries than almost anything else. If you have sunlight for four or more hours a day you can do amazing things...
kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I've also ran my six volt pair down way too far more than once, and they recovered.. They are now over 8 years old and as of this morning.. Still powered the microwave, toaster and computers while I went out to reset the )((@)#*$@)!#)* Circuit breaker.
We regularly ran our U-2200's down to 10.5 V. They lasted 10 years so I guess it didn't hurt them too much.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
In addition there is a heat strip on most fridges that needs to be off. It will also cause large current draw that can be avoided.
Heat strip? what does it do and how do you shut it off?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post

Heat strip? what does it do and how do you shut it off?
The heat strip is installed on the bottom of the freezer door to eliminate the condensation. Some have a sw that is located inside the freezer door. Our Dometic is on top.
Some have the strip controls automatically switch off on battery operation.

We were many campers at an outing that had it manually on with battery drain problems.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Good info about that heat strip because the other day while dry camping after about two hours of watching tv on inverter the fridge started to beep ( low DC) so I shut off the inverter and fired up the Genny. Going to have to look for that switch.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Thanks All,

We are heading out again to a NASCAR event and I am hoping that the batteries will hold a charge. I had them all replaced and they have been fully charged at home. I will cross my fingers and hope that Hubby can get through the night watching TV. (While I keep the cute blindfold on...the ones that look like the movie stars wear...LOL...) But seriously, I am not sure what more I can do. I hate to start the Gennie this early and run it so long. For the few things that I need...the coffee maker and the hair-dryer, I should not have to switch it on and disturb the folks next to us....

I am at my wits end about this but thanks for letting me rant....

Faith
Some additional conservation is in order and additional charge time is needed with the gen....btw running 2 TV's (tube type?) and the sat system and sound sys for a couple hours draws a lot of power, a few lights, the fridge, the water pump - it all adds up. If you were scared about waking up on empty, then pick up a good jumper battery from Sears/Walmart - they are handy as backup for all your vehicles/boat - keep it charged up once a month. When you go to bed, shut off the inverter for the entertainment system (if you can) - and everything else (incl water pump) except the fridge and heater.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #27

go here

Bogart Engineering Products | Bogart Engineering

get the TriMetric 2025 Battery System i have it you well know what your system is doing at all times and you well be every happy with it
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #28

The 12V side of life, part 1 is a very good tutorial for learning all about your battery system and everything else 12V. When you get to page bottom, click the button to continue reading part 2.

Make a list of each electric appliance in your MH, then obtain the amperage use from the label/data plate of each. Keep this list handy in the MH at all times. Use it to avoid dead batteries.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries