Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Neighbors and generators

(Mod edit) Roadtreking.com just started a mild crap storm on Facebook over generators, specifically construction generators at supposed quiet boondocking sites. The site in question isn't up a US Forestry road but is a no hookup but with marked pads site on the shore.

He said that he hates construction generators running constantly.

Good lord, he kicked the ants nest with people calling him a snob, elitist, that they can't afford anything other than the 7000W construction generator.

I'll admit, I bought Honda camping generators, an EX4500 12 years ago and I just bought a used set of the EU2000i generators with intentions of selling the 4500. But, I saved up nearly a years worth of extra hours to get the 4500, the 2000s I'm going to offset with what I make selling the 4500.

So what's your take? Is it unreasonable to ask that someone with a huge jobsite generator turn it off or move it? Share an outlet on your generator to power their TV? Or do you grin and bear it, while turning up your music?

I've had one really loud one right next to me powering a TV. They were watching college football, that's it. I was running my AC anyway so I asked that they turn theirs off and plug into mine which they were happy to do to save gas. Otherwise it's not been a big issue, the few I've come across had them hidden or blocked and while you could hear them, it wasn't worth the hassle and quiet time is usually adhered to.

So how would you handle it?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

First I would get a copy of the CG rules and regulations to educate myself, then, if the offensive genset was operating outside of the rules and regulations, I'd talk to the CG management. It is their place to enforce the rules and regulations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
First I would get a copy of the CG rules and regulations to educate myself, then, if the offensive genset was operating outside of the rules and regulations, I'd talk to the CG management. It is their place to enforce the rules and regulations.

Boondock managers?????// Didn't know there were any.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

Mentor

Agree, not to many boondock managers. Nice thing about dispersed camping with solar is solitude and quiet.

We saw only two vehicles in two weeks at this spot in western NM. It was the rancher both times. We were there with very old boondocking friends.

Reed and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view from indian shelter.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	77911  
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:16 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Who was at the site first?

If I want quiet I find a lonely area. Otherwise I figure as long as nothing loud before 7am or after 10pm it is all fairgame.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:44 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Folks definition of boondocking varies
All of our electrical needs are taken care of using a single 185W solar panel, but that is not what the OP asked. Sharing power to get silence, I would say go for it, and do a bit of education.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #7

As Shadowcatcher notes - there are many definitions to boondocking and a lot of acrimony spilt over it. Our tendency is to go where no one else might be. If there are others and noise levels are annoying, then discussion might be of help.

We had outdoor lights on for a bit while camped in Yucatan that flashed. The neighbor next door was affected by petite mal and he politely requested that we change colors and stop the flashing which was giving him one heck of a headache. We happily complied. These same folks took off in their tow car, a Smartcar, down to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere and saw a Jaguar in the jungle. Attached is place in Yucatan.

Reed and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xpu-ha.gif
Views:	347
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	77934  
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Folks definition of boondocking varies
All of our electrical needs are taken care of using a single 185W solar panel, but that is not what the OP asked. Sharing power to get silence, I would say go for it, and do a bit of education.
When boondocking, (especially on BLM land), I simply MOVE if someone in the "neighborhood" bothers me in any way.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Even in a campground (which I'd be wondering why they're running a generator) there is nothing wrong with talking to the 'offender' first. Be honest with people and not go behind their back at the first whim, in turn bringing in the army to go against them. If that doesn't work then a talk with campground management might be in order.
While I've made some enemies in my life I have also made way too many friends just treating them like I would prefer to be treated.
JMHO!

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
When boondocking, (especially on BLM land), I simply MOVE if someone in the "neighborhood" bothers me in any way.
Mel
'96 Safari

I agree with this approach, assuming the OP was "boon docking" in this type of environment. If in a cg, then, as a previous poster stated, contact management and let them handle it.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #11

My boondocking was in a state forest horsemens CG, no amenities-dry camping/boondocking. There was a CG manager/conservation officer, and rules.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
My boondocking was in a state forest horsemens CG, no amenities-dry camping/boondocking. There was a CG manager/conservation officer, and rules.
That is what I call dry camping. Boondocking is being out in the boonies, no officials, nothing but wilderness and hopefully no one to disturb me in my time of deep repose.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We boondock to be away from people, their generators, and their barking dogs. The best part about our home is that it is fully equipped with a set of wheels. People using open-framed construction generators near other people are a nuisance. Construction generators were made for construction
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Mentor

Agree, not to many boondock managers. Nice thing about dispersed camping with solar is solitude and quiet.

We saw only two vehicles in two weeks at this spot in western NM. It was the rancher both times. We were there with very old boondocking friends.

Reed and Elaine

That spot looks kind of like the area around Monticello Canyon.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator