Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2017, 12:58 AM   #1

Question Never boondocked- 32 Class A Newmar

I only have two deep cells, 5500 watt generator. All led lighting Going on long trip in a couple of weeks. On the way back from My Indiana to California we will not be on a schedule. My rig is a year old now. Do you guys use your toilet , or use the woods. If you use a rest area, do you put your slides out in the truck area?
I ran into a guy last year in Idaho that said he would pull over in gravel pit areas off the side of the highway. He told me they are very flat!

I have always stayed in campgrounds, usually RV parks with hookups. So what do you think? Kinda scary.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
. Do you guys use your toilet , or use the woods.
We use the toilet year round. I keep it ready and switch to the pink stuff in winter when it's really cold. I often use the woods when hunting or if there's clean snow to decorate.

Quote:
I ran into a guy last year in Idaho that said he would pull over in gravel pit areas off the side of the highway. He told me they are very flat!
Our gasser is 29' and I pull/park it anywhere with that has clearance to get me in. Actually sometimes the hitch drags and I get in when there isn't clearance. Dirt roads, farmers fields, etc. Obviously if it's really soft or there is going to be rain you have to take that into consideration.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Slides out over curb at walmart. Thats the way we do it. fire up generator, use our own toilets, shower. We use a camp ground every three or four days traveling to empty tanks. Never have used truck stops or rest stops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_162338_Burst01.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	162305  
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

Walmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
Slides out over curb at walmart. Thats the way we do it. fire up generator, use our own toilets, shower. We use a camp ground every three or four days traveling to empty tanks. Never have used truck stops or rest stops.
So you search walmarts where you think you'll be and call ahead to them? Got no to Indiana I have an appointment. Plan on interstate I -80 going out. After Nevada, I've got no reservations. We are trying to make time. One nighters the whole way.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
I only have two deep cells, 5500 watt generator. All led lighting Going on long trip in a couple of weeks. On the way back from My Indiana to California we will not be on a schedule. My rig is a year old now. Do you guys use your toilet , or use the woods. If you use a rest area, do you put your slides out in the truck area?

I have always stayed in campgrounds, usually RV parks with hookups. So what do you think? Kinda scary.
OK, help me out here. Maybe I am missing something. Your MH is self contained. Why would you NOT use the toilet if you stayed at a Walmart or a rest area or wherever that is flat???
Heck, I have taken hot showers and cooked full dinners and bfasts at Walmarts. Many people put their slides out but I try not to when moochdocking at a Walmart but that's just me. Everything is usable for me while my slides are in. It is certainly being considerate if you put your slides out to put them out over grass and not other parking spots as the poster above showed. Being considerate is a good trait for the RV community.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #6

We use whatever is most convenient, rest stops, Walmart or such if we need groceries in the evening, truck stop when we fuel in the evening. We have used gravel pits if they were there when we needed a place to overnight, as well as small parks and just wide places along the road. We also sometimes use developed campgrounds when visiting a place of interest.

I would not use private land without permission, but most public land is up for grabs as well as BLM and USFS campgrounds. We've been doing this since the late '70's without any real problems, except one time early on when we parked in a wheat field in Eastern OR and were asked to leave by the owner. We never parked on private land without permission after that.

We always use the camper facilities unless hunting, which is an altogether different matter when in the woods away from the camper as described by okcnewbie.

Have fun and enjoy the trip.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

One nighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
OK, help me out here. Maybe I am missing something. Your MH is self contained. Why would you NOT use the toilet if you stayed at a Walmart or a rest area or wherever that is flat???
Heck, I have taken hot showers and cooked full dinners and bfasts at Walmarts. Many people put their slides out but I try not to when moochdocking at a Walmart but that's just me. Everything is usable for me while my slides are in. It is certainly being considerate if you put your slides out to put them out over grass and not other parking spots as the poster above showed. Being considerate is a good trait for the RV community.
Guess I should have separated my concerns. One nighters on the way out on this trip to make time. I was also reading about others that are taking 3 to 5 days in pleasant places. For right now my concern is just spending one night at a time. I have never just pulled over somewhere. Need one slide out so I can get out of bed.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #8

I think our overnighting habits (post #6) were formed during the late '70's until '94 when I retired. We had very little time to "lollygag" and most stops were to refuel, restock, eat, and rest in the least amount of time in order to travel the distances we did to see the things/places we planned to see. That is not to say we didn't take time for a walk around a nice rest area or other place we stopped, or read historical signs, or just sit for a short time and look at some beautiful area. We would also occasionally take a short nap in a rest area in the afternoon if we were tired. It wasn't usually a mad dash, we just didn't spend a lot of time between planned stops at places of attraction for us, simply because we didn't have it to spend. We still do things about the same way now even though there is more time.

We have almost always had breakfast in the RV before starting out, lunch in a rest area or wide spot, and dinner wherever we plan to spend the night. Occasionally if I felt like it, after dinner and a shower, I would drive for a few more hours before stopping for the night.

As you mention, others do spend a lot of time in organized campgrounds and enjoy that. I think many of them are full timers. We have done that a few times, but it just isn't our cup of tea. We prefer solitude if it is available, or with a few friends.

We have never had slides, so I can't address that.

I think that, after a few trips it will all come together for you. Just try different approaches until you find what works best for you. That's the beauty in it, there is no set way.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #9

There almost always a Walmart in any town. We drive till we are ready to stop, just pull into the next small town, and google Walmart. If we can't find one there is alway something else that will work. Take navy showers ( we travel with 4 to 5 people), gray tank fills before the black. Just go for it, you'll be fine.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Dix39- we have only been in a motorhome for a year. We had a trailer before that for about 6 years but only took a couple of long trips. So I've never thought about just looking for places to stay the night. Every time it was an RV Park. But thinking about it, a pain in the ass to set up for just a night.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #11

Use caution and manners

We have boondocked many times for the convenience and speed. I prefer Flying J's (or similar) and Walmart. I call Walmart ahead and ask permission or we go in and ask. You do have to be mindful of what kind of area you are in for safety reasons. Many places do not allow overnight parking. We parked right under the sign in one Walmart.🙄 Rest areas with 24 hour security are also good. I was told by a Florida officer that they don't promote it, but he'd rather let people sleep then drive tired. A good code of ethics is to spend some money at the locale you choose, don't set up camp like you're in a rv park, and don't leave trash. I will admit I sleep much better in a site I paid for and don't have to investigate every noise I hear.
RBAYBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #12

I still do not understand the appeal of staying in a walmart parking lot.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I still do not understand the appeal of staying in a walmart parking lot.
What part of fast, cheap and available don't you understand? The folks who stay there are usually only looking to get a meal or two, some sleep, and roll out again. That makes paying for a park site expensive for a few hours use.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What part of fast, cheap and available don't you understand? The folks who stay there are usually only looking to get a meal or two, some sleep, and roll out again. That makes paying for a park site expensive for a few hours use.
x2
Add, usually very close to a given route. Convenience trumps all. And if you need supplies, they have almost anything at a good price too.

Tags
class a, newmar