Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
New at Boondocking

DW and I have scheduled a looong weekend in October to try boondocking. It will be our first time (except for Waldocking). I am very much looking forward to it but DW is a little skeptical. We will be at LBJ Grasslands near Decatur, Texas. Hope the weather holds!!
txdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck, Have fun;; In our travels of boondocking the hardest thing to remember was A shower consists of 2 cups water it the sink and a wash cloth. It's a lot of fun. Life is so good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You didn't mention how long you were going to be boondocking, so assume it will be 3 or 4 day weekend. A trick that makes your grey water tank last longer is instead of draining your dish water into your grey water tank, scoop some of it to your black water tank. Allows you to short flush the toliet.
Being an old Submarine Sailor I am here to tell you you can take a real good shower with just a couple of gallons of water. Don't let the water run, safes water and tank space.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We Boondock every Winter for three months. The DW loves it. Freedom plus! Surprising how much you can save and do by just thinking ahead. We are able to go about 15 days without dumping. I use a 45 gal. bladder transport to add water as needed. We camp on BLM ground in AZ, so able to dump grey water on the vegetation. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
We Boondock every Winter for three months. The DW loves it. Freedom plus! Surprising how much you can save and do by just thinking ahead. We are able to go about 15 days without dumping. I use a 45 gal. bladder transport to add water as needed. We camp on BLM ground in AZ, so able to dump grey water on the vegetation. Good luck.
It is against BLM rules and the law to dump grey water

"Federal Register: February 2, 2004 (Volume 69, Number 21)
Page 4976-4979
Final Supplementary Rules on Public Lands Within All Arizona and California Long-Term Visitor Areas

ACTION: Publication of supplementary rules for Long-Term Visitor Areas managed by the California Desert District Office, California and Yuma Field Office, Arizona.

Sec. 16. Dumping

Do not dump sewage, gray water, or garbage on the ground. This includes motor oil and any other waste products: Federal, state, and county sanitation laws and county ordinances specifically prohibit these practices.....

BLM Needles Field Office
To further protect your public lands, campers must not dispose of any refuse, hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water, in any manner pollute the surrounding area. PACK IT OUT.

BLM Eagle Lake Field Office
...self-contained camping is required to avoid the disposal of gray water within the closed basin of Eagle Lake.

BLM El Centro Field Office
Imperial Dunes
DUMPING. Dumping of sewage (black) and/or gray water is prohibited."
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We will be out for four days and it is on BLM land. DW is already talking about using dish water to flush with. I think she is worried about the water supply. Being a country boy I am not squeamish about drinking out of the windmill that is nearby. I will learn how to save my battery.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I'm sure you'll do fine and probably won't need many draconian measures. Worst thing that happens is that the last day you may be a little short on flushes. What is the size of your water tank? We hold 100 gallons and made it a solid week with 3 kids. The saying, "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" rules the RV during boondocking stops.

Do you have a generator for recharging your house batts?
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The BLM campground where we Winter was told specifocally by the area Ranger to dump grey water at that location. We don't arbitrarily dump on any ground available unless told by proper authority.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
All three tanks are 35gallon. We will take some jugs of water for drinking & coffee & tea. We have a generator but I am hoping that we don't have to run it for the air conditioner.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdad View Post
All three tanks are 35gallon. We will take some jugs of water for drinking & coffee & tea. We have a generator but I am hoping that we don't have to run it for the air conditioner.
Sounds like a plan. One other experience that worked well for us is that we used paper plates and bowls for all our meals. Throwing the paper away wasn't ideal from an environmental perspective but we valued our water supply more and saved water by not needing to wash dishes. Saved time too so that we had more time for fun!
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
For all you folks who never owned a truck campter, you learn how to take a shower in one of those so you don't fill up the gray tank and run out of fresh water. We could last about three days, then we had to dump the gray tank. Never thought then to dump the dishwater in the black tank, but then we were in National parks and they allowed dish water at specific locations so we just used a pan to wash dishes.

To successfuly take a shower here is one recommended way.
1. Turn on the water and get wet, turn off water.
2. wash hair, and soap up the body.
3. Turn on water and rinse off.
4. Unless someone is following you, wipe out shower so it does not spot.

Doing it that way you only use about 2 gallons or less, have done it lots of times.

But WRV (Alpine APEX) made their motorhomes and 5th wheels to be the boondockers dream.
100 gallon fresh water tank.
85 gallon black water tank.
100 gallon gray water tank.
40 gallon propane tank.
8 house batteries @ 225 ah. & a 2000w inverter
2 starting batteries.
1 - 100 watt solar panel. Another 100 watt panel would be nice.
Like I said the boondockers dream.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
For all you folks who never owned a truck campter, you learn how to take a shower in one of those so you don't fill up the gray tank and run out of fresh water
Yep. Been there. Done that. It's not bad.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #13

When I long term wilderness boondock I have a gallon laundry detergent jug that I use for a urinal. I flush with that followed by water saved from the dishwashing in another jug. Snickers goes outside. I use one drop to get wet and another drop to rinse !!!!!!!! 2 gal for a shower is sparing but can be improved upon with severe work. I do not use established CGs so I too dump gray water on the ground.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #14

Full Time Boondocking, a poem

Every time I see a newbie asking talking about boondocking for a few days I get a kick out of it. My wife and I have been full time boondockers for MANY years. We don't hook up to electric or water if visiting friends & relatives and never get tired of explaining that we really do have a real shower and a real bed in our house on wheels. I don't really think staying in Dry Camp at an Escapees park qualifies as boondocking, but most do, so we include those stays in our record. We haven't been in any other park for over 6 or 7 years now. In our definition, if you can SEE pavement, you are not boondocking. We even boondock on our own property up in Montana. However, now that we have a rainwater harvesting system and a septic system that is less than 100ft from where we park the rig and can reach it with the macerator, I'm not too sure that staying on our own place really qualifies anymore. Regardless, some of you may enjoy my wife's take on this. It was published in the Quartzsite Newsrag several years ago (without her permission, by the way).

Bob

FULL-TIME BOONDOCKING – WHAT’S THAT?

When we talk to other folks about what we do
We can tell what they think in a second or two
Some say “Wish we could do that,” or “tell me more”
Others say “I’m late” and start to bolt for the door

They step back a bit as if we’re unwashed
And start wondering if we’re crazy or just sloshed
They say to electricity and water they must cling
As if we don’t have or use any such thing

Some insist on paved streets and paved parking lots
We prefer the road less traveled and desert pavement spots