Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most starting batteries are under 100 Amp hours each, so 2 would be under 200 amp hours.. The standard six volt is 220 amp hours, so 2 of them in series is 220 amp hours but .. they become one 12 volt battery when properly installed.

Now... If your engine takes TWO say Group 29's.. a pair of six volt Deep cycle may not be enough to start it... ON the other hand if it takes two G-24's I suspect they will no problem. Deep cycle batteries are not as good at high current (Starting current) but they have other advantages.

One is since there are very few golf car battery styles, they do not re-tool those lines as often, this leads to lower prices.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I use two 8D deep cycle Deka's in my coach, some 440 ah's. Never run out of power 2500 watt Inverter and 450 watts of solar charge. Water is the only shortfall.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
To start your new batteries off right I highly recommend, as a first step, to perform an equalization charge on them. Voltage readings and specific gravity measurements on new batteries are almost meaningless until they are equalized. Make sure the electrolyte is filled to specifications and equalize according to the manufacturers voltage and duration specifications. Doing them individually is preferable but not necessary. After they are equalized, let them sit for at least 24 hours before you take any voltage and specific gravity readings. The specific gravity readings for each battery from cell to cell should not vary by more than 0.030 points from high to low. Record these readings relative to each cell, they will be your baseline for future readings. The two most important things you can do in maintaining your batteries is to keep the electrolyte properly serviced and the tops of the batteries clean and dry. Surface discharge is the biggest parasitic drain to battery capacity.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote