Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #15

As others have said; conserve, take more along, and re-supply occasionally.

On multi-day wilderness river trips, we plan for 0.5 to 0.75 gallons (depending on air temperature) of water per person per day...and have always had a bit too much. Of course, there is no need for water for the toilet, dishwashing, or showering, but this is were you can conserve when needed.

Use on site toilets and showers if available, shut off the toilet water and use dish rinse water to flush. Wipe dishes with paper towel first to reduce wash water (or just use paper plates). Navy showers (get wet, shut off water, soap, rinse). Use water from a cup for tooth brushing. etc, etc, etc
Haul along more water (or just bring it in when needed) in 2 to 6 gallon refillable containers (available at all sporting goods suppliers). Hint, it's much easier to carry (and lift to pour into the RV) two lighter containers than one heavy one.

Lastly, calibrate your idiot lights. Level your RV and fill your freshwater tank. Put a calibrated (in gallons or whatever units you prefer) bucket under a faucet. Turn on the water and fill to calibration line. Turn off the water. Dump the bucket outside. Repeat, repeat, and repeat keeping track of how may gallons you dump. Also note what your idiot gauge reads after every dump. Eventually you will drain your water tank (it really doesn’t take that long) and have a record of how much water you have drained (or have left as I prefer) given the reading on the idiot light. Then just make a little reference chart to mount near the idiot light. Also, don't forget about the water left in the tank after the pump can't pump anymore....I have almost 7 gallons.....easy enough to drain into a bucket for use when needed.....but that should be a good signal that it's time to get more.

Have fun,
Steve
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I go backpacking I use a pump filter and bring a small dropper bottle ( I got that from usplastic ) so I can put drops of clorox in the water to kill what the filter doesn't get.
I would add some chlorine to the water you get from streams. Just to be on the safe side.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
When I go backpacking I use a pump filter and bring a small dropper bottle ( I got that from usplastic ) so I can put drops of clorox in the water to kill what the filter doesn't get.
I would add some chlorine to the water you get from streams. Just to be on the safe side.
See like I said I don't drink out of any stream. Around Pa people get water from springs along the highway and drink it. They are usually the ones that have city water with chlorine and like the spring water better. I take water from my well with me for drinking. My well is 385 ft deep thru rock and taste better than bottle water you buy. I'm not paying for water when I have it free. And I feel thats one of the problems with this country now days is they want to live in a bubble. It's like the old story about how we did things when we were kids that they can't do now...and we lived!!! I pitty kids now days.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #18

I think we all get that you are not drinking the water out of your tank. What you need to realize is that you are introducing non potable water into your tank and contaminating the entire potable water system with bacteria. I would hate to buy a used trailer to find the previous owner contaminated the water system. Not to mention the faith you are putting in the "I have always drank from the creek without getting sick before theory".

Don't put yourself, family or friends at risk of spending your vacation suffering nausea vomiting and diarrhea when filtering the source or a little bleach would have prevented it in the first place. Domestic and wild animal feces and their decomposing carcasses upriver are the source of most waterborne bacteria not man made pollutants. So that creek that was fresh yesterday might not be so fresh today and showering with unsafe water will make you just as susceptible to bacterial infection as drinking it.
derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 12V pump and two water filters a ceramic with carbon block that I use all the time and a General Echology Trav-el Pure good for taking everything out not removed by the first filter, used as two stage filter I am very confident. One thing you need to rememrber is that you need enough head pressure to raise the water to what ever level you are pumping from and to. I actually have two pumps which could conceivably do two stage.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche
I have a 12V pump and two water filters a ceramic with carbon block that I use all the time and a General Echology Trav-el Pure good for taking everything out not removed by the first filter, used as two stage filter I am very confident. One thing you need to rememrber is that you need enough head pressure to raise the water to what ever level you are pumping from and to. I actually have two pumps which could conceivably do two stage.
Sounds like a nice system Shadowcatche
derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by derald1961 View Post
I think we all get that you are not drinking the water out of your tank. What you need to realize is that you are introducing non potable water into your tank and contaminating the entire potable water system with bacteria. I would hate to buy a used trailer to find the previous owner contaminated the water system. Not to mention the faith you are putting in the "I have always drank from the creek without getting sick before theory".

Don't put yourself, family or friends at risk of spending your vacation suffering nausea vomiting and diarrhea when filtering the source or a little bleach would have prevented it in the first place. Domestic and wild animal feces and their decomposing carcasses upriver are the source of most waterborne bacteria not man made pollutants. So that creek that was fresh yesterday might not be so fresh today and showering with unsafe water will make you just as susceptible to bacterial infection as drinking it.
anyone who would buy a used RV and not sanitize the water system before they used it is crazy. it's an easy thing to do!

also, using water out of springs and streams, it's easy to purify that water. usually 10 - 12 drops of clorox or purex bleach (make sure it's not the scented kind) and in an hour or so, it's good to go.
papachaz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #22

always drink up stream from the herd. and do not empty you holding tanks while camping and boondocking, it is against the law in most forests, go to town and dump
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #23

I'm coming from a 118 gallon 5er to a 73 gallon MH. I've been saving two stainless steel "coke" syrup canisters for over 40 years and finally found a use for them. I used to use them when we went tent camping back in my off-road days. I modified them with petcocks and Schrader valves and stored them in the basement below my bedroom slide. I haven't had a chance to run out of water yet, but have 10 gallons spare if I need it. I like to take long hot showers, but if I don't ever use them, I can take them out and use the storage space for firewood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papachaz57 View Post
anyone who would buy a used RV and not sanitize the water system before they used it is crazy. it's an easy thing to do!

also, using water out of springs and streams, it's easy to purify that water. usually 10 - 12 drops of clorox or purex bleach (make sure it's not the scented kind) and in an hour or so, it's good to go.
I made the mistake of using too much bleach in my fresh tank one season. That first trip, I had the worst heartburn ever.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #24

sorry, i should have said, 10 - 12 drops of bleach per gallon of water. too much is almost as bad as not enough.

when we bought our TT last month, the first thing i did was sanitize the water system, and i ran through it three times. just to be sure.
papachaz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #25

If your sink drains into your gray water tank and you need to wash dishes, place a small tub in the sink and then dump the water down the toilet. It takes longer to fill your black water tank then the gray water tank.
fred481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #26

You can get a UV dis-infecter tube for around $50 .
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #27

I love my propane heated portable shower for boondocking. I set up the little shelter behind the trailer and enjoy hot showers everyday. Rainwater, well water, stream water. 2 or 3 gallons per shower.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #28

2-3 gallons per shower!.!.!

I use that much just getting my shower hot.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote