Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #29

Putting this in the windows and inside cabinets (shiny side facing exterior) will greatly reduce heat intrusion into the RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Putting this in the windows and inside cabinets (shiny side facing exterior) will greatly reduce heat intrusion into the RV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462911743.839272.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	126656

Old 05-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #31

Thank you! This is the kind of information I'm looking for.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #32

You might also consider installing this as an alternative to air conditioning....it uses much less electricity....could even be battery powered with enough batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462929878.526826.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	126668
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Swamp cooling won't work well where the air is already very swamp-like (Georgia comes to mind).
Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Swamp cooling won't work well where the air is already very swamp-like (Georgia comes to mind).

It still has an effect. I frequently go to an aircraft convention in Lakeland, FL
and it's hot. Vendors have large "swamp coolers" setup to blow across their outdoor booths, and the air feels much cooler than if they didn't have them.
Plus the OP said she lived in the far north GA area close to the mountains....so this area has to be less humid than by the coast.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the RV Cool swamp cooler. Definitely won't work in Georgia. We got it for the Arizona desert and it does a fair job in February and early March. After that it really just becomes a fan.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in middle GA. I'm aware of an abundance of RV parks with many price points and full time residents, or "work week workers", scattered across N GA. I'm surprised you can not find a low cost park to full time live in either as a renter or ownership basis. This would let you have constant power for heat or AC w/ch would be critical not only for the animals, but to protect your RV from extreme temps that may fatigue and/or freeze components depending upon the seasons. Good luck in finding a workable solution.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you thought about a tiny house? Many can be had inexpensively and some zoning allows them to be installed on an existing residential lot of certain square feet that already has a home on it.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgirl99 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this...am giving serious thought to boondocking. I'm in Georgia, and work full time. I would be boondocking locally, with two cats. I'm trying to get an idea of how much it costs to keep a Class C cool in the Georgia summer heat (and warm in the winter). I think I would feel the most comfortable driving a Class C. If summer heat (and winter cold) got too extreme, we'd be staying in a hotel for awhile. But I'd like to be as self-sufficient as possible.

So if you've boondocked in Georgia before, with pets, could you let me know about how much $$ we're talking about (in solar, batteries, generator) to keep a/c running through each day? Are Class C's easier too keep cool than a bigger, class-A rig?

If there are ways to better insulate an RV I'd be interested to know how too. For right now I'm just trying to get an idea of the costs involved to see if I could really afford this, and if an RV could be kept sufficiently cool in summer and warm in winter with pets on board.

Thanks
Beach Girl,

I don't know if you're still around but I often don't hear about these threads for a while. I've been solo on the road for more than six years in a Class C. I have no income beyond what I earn in my travels. I'm in traditional campgrounds maybe five or ten percent of the time. Usually that is when I'm working at one.

I can't give you a figure (none of anyone's business what I spend) but what you want to do is quite possible.

I have boondocked Georgia, maybe three or four months total during the winter. I didn't bother to winterize. Summer heat is then only reason I do not have pets in the motor home. And during the summer I'm in OH, PA, MI, and IN where it is cooler.

You don't mention if you've camped before. If not, the learning curve is pretty steep to go directly from no experience to full time boondocker. You need to decide if you are adaptable enough.

The REAL problems you face are the need to stay local and your pets. The rest is easy.

I avoid those who commit or advocate illegal acts- including sales and income tax violations. Therefore I avoid the van dweller types. At the beginning I wondered if you were still around. On internet forums people drift in and out constantly. If you... turn up missing nobody here will know. I know from experience that a fair number of those on van dweller, yahoo van dweller, and cheap rv'ing type sites are committing or have been convicted of felonies. Your choice, but be careful. The closest I've come to any real danger was from these folks.

mangy dog
Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Have you thought about a tiny house? Many can be had inexpensively and some zoning allows them to be installed on an existing residential lot of certain square feet that already has a home on it.
Yes, I had thought of a tiny house, but don't own property. So that would be an extra expense, plus the house, utility hookups, etc. The cost of property around where I work is stratospheric. I would probably need to go quite a ways out from the Atlanta area, and I suppose it depends on local zoning laws whether a tiny house would be legal or not.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Beach Girl,

I don't know if you're still around but I often don't hear about these threads for a while. I've been solo on the road for more than six years in a Class C. I have no income beyond what I earn in my travels. I'm in traditional campgrounds maybe five or ten percent of the time. Usually that is when I'm working at one.

I can't give you a figure (none of anyone's business what I spend) but what you want to do is quite possible.

I have boondocked Georgia, maybe three or four months total during the winter. I didn't bother to winterize. Summer heat is then only reason I do not have pets in the motor home. And during the summer I'm in OH, PA, MI, and IN where it is cooler.

You don't mention if you've camped before. If not, the learning curve is pretty steep to go directly from no experience to full time boondocker. You need to decide if you are adaptable enough.

The REAL problems you face are the need to stay local and your pets. The rest is easy.

I avoid those who commit or advocate illegal acts- including sales and income tax violations. Therefore I avoid the van dweller types. At the beginning I wondered if you were still around. On internet forums people drift in and out constantly. If you... turn up missing nobody here will know. I know from experience that a fair number of those on van dweller, yahoo van dweller, and cheap rv'ing type sites are committing or have been convicted of felonies. Your choice, but be careful. The closest I've come to any real danger was from these folks.

mangy dog
Thanks for the warnings! No, I haven't camped before. I had thought of renting an RV and trying it out for a week, or longer, tho it costs so much (at least from what I've been able to find online in RV rentals). Or, once I have one, start going for weekend trips, or weeklong trips now that I have *gasp* paid time off from this current employer, before I go fulltime. Once I felt comfortable with it, then go fulltime.

I went out to the nearest Camping World recently and was shown a few representative RVs. The class B was definitely too claustrophobic for me, at least the one I saw. I just about fell in love with the Jayco Grayhawk class C the salesman showed me (a new one, of course). Aside from the mattress looking a bit short, it seemed livable.

I would definitely want to put solar panels up, and have enough batteries, a generator etc. to keep a/c going in the Georgia summer.

Thanks for posting
Old 05-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #41

Running a generator in the Georgia summer for a/c will be cost prohibitive. If you need to do that, I would look for a campground with full hook ups and a monthly rate.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgirl99 View Post
Thanks for the warnings! No, I haven't camped before. I had thought of renting an RV and trying it out for a week, or longer, tho it costs so much (at least from what I've been able to find online in RV rentals). Or, once I have one, start going for weekend trips, or weeklong trips now that I have *gasp* paid time off from this current employer, before I go fulltime. Once I felt comfortable with it, then go fulltime.

I went out to the nearest Camping World recently and was shown a few representative RVs. The class B was definitely too claustrophobic for me, at least the one I saw. I just about fell in love with the Jayco Grayhawk class C the salesman showed me (a new one, of course). Aside from the mattress looking a bit short, it seemed livable

I would definitely want to put solar panels up, and have enough batteries, a generator etc. to keep a/c going in the Georgia summer.

Thanks for posting
Most do find Class B's too small for full timing.

The suggestion to try a campground for a while before boondocking is good. I moved into my Class C during the winter and spent two months in a campground. I'd had travel trailers before and used the time to get accustomed to the thing and work some bugs out. Mine was well used and needed minor repair along with additions for full time living. I paid about $450 a month including utilities. I've seen similar monthly rates not to long ago. That is quite a bit cheaper than you mentioned for rent.

Solar is a good idea. But depending on which x-spurt you believe, you're looking at about 140 pounds of battery for each100-120 watt panel. Panels are roughly 2' by 4'. So on an average C likely to be purchased by a solo, you'll probably get 6 panels without too much shading by vents and the airconditioner. That's a lot of weight in a C and probably still won't run your air conditioner. The panels really need full sun rather than the shade place where you might prefer to park. The figures I offered are VERY rough estimates.

There are always opportunities to park somewhere for a little labor and no cash. They just appear. I spent last week in a driveway with a 15 amp plug available. I was in construction for a long time the work was a few hours a day. I'll be there for two weeks in July house sitting, mowing a small yard, and weeding the garden. I have two more driveways offered, one with no labor required and the other for some minor painting. I worked this weekend and did OK. Right now I'm at a Travel America and I'll dump in the morning for $5. Then I'll ????????? or maybe ?????

My advantage is not having to work a normal week. I keep my expenses very low and I save a little for emergencies and maintenance. I still eat out a couple times a month at a real restaurant not a micky-d's. Some find like parking situations that would allow a fulltime job. They appear. After a while you don't even look. But I doubt you'll be offered anything until you're out there.

I have seen advertising for doohickies that are supposed to meter the power you might use from a friends outlet. Plug the thing-a ma-jig into the outlet and your motor home into the thing-a ma-jig so you can pay for the power you use. Oh, a suggestion, make sure whatever you get runs on 30 amps. Much simpler for boondocking.

One other thing, Reflectix is a good product. The R value claims are silly- read the test conditions. There is a similar thing usually used under metal roofing. It is white on one side and doesn't look too unlike a white curtain liner from a distance. I picked up the end of a roll from an old subcontractor of mine. If I had to use reflectix, I'd attach some white cloth to the exposed window side. No sense going down the road looking like a low budget meth lab.

You might want to check you budget and decide what you can afford. Then see what is available in your price range. You might run across a really nice older A with good tires!

mangy dog

Tags
boondocking, newbie