Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #127

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
What a crazy thread!

Call me crazy but I don't worry about it one iota.
It's simple. Don't camp in places that would put you in jeopardy!
I can't imagine a burglar wanting to break into your RV in a campground with people 10' away with windows facing your door.

In Canada, you aren't allowed to carry firearms. I don't see an epidemic happening here of people being broken into whether in their RV or not and because they are defenseless.

Statistically, if you counted how many people live/camp in an RV on a daily basis and how many are burglarized, I don't even know if you could record the percentage amount as it would have so many digits below 1%.

I'd worry more about the odds of falling in my campfire after a beer than I would being broken into.

I'm sensible like Dave. Stay out of seedy areas. Stay in well lit camp facilities, don't leave valuables laying around your campsite unattended and lock your doors at night.
You'll be fine.

Worry about where you're going next and what new memory you're going to create. Enjoy this great land of ours and what it has to offer!
I agree,
Can't wait to get back out there.
It's commonsenseable.
Tim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
"Be prepared" is far different from "Be afraid". When folks post statistics without knowing how often an occupied RV is broken into, they are afraid. When folks post a news story or two about a murder, assault, or robbery in an RV park to justify their decision they are afraid.
They must of taught us USMC boys a lot of how to "be afraid".

I'll stick with my version of "being prepared" and you stick with yours.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #129

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
Does the Marine Corps teach its personnel to walk among other US citizens in daily life outside of a military installation, or only to consider everyone you don't know an enemy?

Or is there a third option I'm not aware of offered to USMC personnel?
Old 11-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #130

Not a lot of well-lit areas when boondocking. Nothing wrong with firearms if trained and of proper mindset to use weapon if required and not to use weapon when not required. Most cops do not have either.

The percentage of trained infantry in the military is quite low, even the Marine Corps is less than 10% 0311 trained infantry (boot camp does not turn one into trained infantry no matter the hype of "everyman a rifleman"). A friend joined N Rangers from line infantry in RVN in 1970 when he realized that his rifle company had 33 casualties, none from enemy action. General Gavin wrote that during WW II, the 101st Airborne had more accidental shootings (ADs, goofing off, etc) of paratroopers by other paratroopers with pistols than ever damaged Germans.

The general population of gun owners is far less capable.
Reed (erstwhile 11B4PR)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Does the Marine Corps teach its personnel to walk among other US citizens in daily life outside of a military installation, or only to consider everyone you don't know an enemy?

Or is there a third option I'm not aware of offered to USMC personnel?
I could explain the training I went through, but you wouldn't understand 99.9% of it.

0212/0331 2B2MR
Old 11-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #132

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I could explain the training I went through, but you wouldn't understand 99.9% of it.

0212/0331 2B2MR
I could explain to you why (insert anything here), but you wouldn't understand it. Yeah, OK. Let me know when you think I will since you are THE expert on what I am capable of understanding.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
I fail to see any benefit of being trained to kill someone for any reason. That indicates premeditation which does not say much for us a species.

Too often we see in the news stories of children who find their parents "defensive/protection" tools and manage to kill or maim a sibling.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #134

Quote:

I'll stick with my version of "being prepared" and you stick with yours.

Exactly my point, and you're the one I want "at my back"! If you'll accept that compliment from a lowly Army guy!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I fail to see any benefit of being trained to kill someone for any reason. That indicates premeditation which does not say much for us a species.

Too often we see in the news stories of children who find their parents "defensive/protection" tools and manage to kill or maim a sibling.

Gordon, actually the military I was in trained people to use only the amount of force necessary in to control a given situation. My first inclination is to not get myself in a situation where I will have to rely on ANY use of force. My next inclination is to remove myself from the situation if I can, then the next step is attempt to reason or talk myself out of that unfortunate situation. Force is a last resort. Unfortunately in some situations, the amount of force necessary involved killing the other guy before he killed you. That was in a Military, Combat situation, which I don't think most of the people view or responding to this forum consider most campground to be, unless you are talking about mosquito's, or flies, then all bets are off.

On the issue of premeditation, I don't PLAN on going out and having a flat tire, however, this is just one of those unfortunate situations that I have thought through in advance, that I have ensured that I have the equipment and training to handle if it should happen, and that I would rather BE PREPARED for in advance. Have I ever had a flat tire? Yes, actually, I have, more than once. Was I prepared? Yes in every case. Was I glad that I had thought through the situation, and that I WAS prepared? Most definitely! Do I think that my likelihood of experiencing a robbery or home invasion is the same as experiencing a flat tire? Of course not, however in conducting a risk accessment of the potential for occurance, the potential concequences as a result of such an occurance, and remedial action I can take in order to metigate the potential negative consequences of such an occurance, I have decided that I would feel more comfortable in thinking through the situation in advance, and BEING PREPARED.

The point that I have been trying to make is that I do not begrudge anyone to make a determination as to what he or she considers being prepared as long as those preparations are in full accordance with the federal, state and local laws. I respect other peoples rights to engage in normal commerce or activities within the constraints of the law. In turn, I would expect and require that other law abiding citizens also respect MY rights to engage in commerce or activities ALSO in the full compliance with the law.

I'm finding it a little difficult to understand why a few people responding to this forum are taking offense to that. Perhaps you can enlighten me?
Old 11-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Being prepared with a gun is a far cry from carrying a spare tire. Most people I know have had a flat tire. No one I know has been involved in a situation that required a gun to diffuse. Some folks carry an extra can of gasoline in case they run out. Most do not.

I do understand the analogy though. I do not understand being prepared for lethal force. That assumes there is a very high chance of someone being out there looking to kill someone, possibly you.

I have watched enough movies to understand there is a possibility you might run into one of those situations. I have chummed with many police officers. Most of them have seen things they wish they had not. Many of the things are domestic where the situation escalates until the defensive weapons are used in an offensive manner. Sadly knives are included. Size was commented on in one of the Crocodile Dundee movies: "that's not a knife, this is a knife.'

IMO if you think you need more than a bat you should think about staying home or in other accommodations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 cal desert eagle.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	111345
Old 11-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #137

I have a number of friends from RVN Ranger days (unit was LRRP when I was in but it became N Rangers eventually and we are part of official lineage) who do not trust themselves with firearms and consequently do not have them. One had 5 tours with 101st line battalion (65-66), 101st LRRP, 173rd line battalion (made the drop) and then 173rd LRRP, 74th LRP, 18 months with RVN Airborne and then another tour with N Rangers (which is 7 different units but some segued into others). Have several more who have been legally forbidden to own firearms and they know and cheerfully accept they should not have them. They were very good at what they did.
Reed
Old 11-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
And they should be thanked for their service.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #139

Tiffin Owners Club
Two words..... Bang BANG!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
OBVIOUSLY some of you don't understand

My way is the only right way and everyone else is wrong AND you MUST follow my way or be arrested...

*********** a BIT of hyperbole there, I know.

IMHO, and the way it USED to be in the states, you do things your way and I'll do things my way and the only issue is if your way creates an issue for mine.

We actually did pretty well for a 100 years or so, but the last few decades 'they' are improving our lives