Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
SkiSmuggs - I think most of the Claymores that were fired towards Americans were not turned around by the VC but were improperly implaced "Uh, what does this "Front towards enemy" mean, the side as I look at sign, or the side toward the enemy, never mind, I'll work it out!" This is ongoing as humor at another Ranger Facebook forum: as in who pulled off the stupidest stunt and survived.
Reed and Elaine
I may qualify as I was told to set a Claymore booby trap with pull-type firing device and taut trip wire. When I pulled the safety pin, the release pin slid half its length out of the firing device. Had to change my shorts and switched to remote battery method.
The back side of a Claymore is like the back end of an RPG....deadly.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #72

About the wasp spray, I can't believe that a cop in the world would arrest you for using Wasp killer to deter someone breaking into your motorhome. Example, it's battery to hit someone with a baseball bat too, but if you knocked out a robber with one, you would most likely get a high five from the cops.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Wasp spray? Hornet spray? Fire extinguisher? Would you really want to depend on these things to defend your life in the event of armed break in?

FYI: Many jurisdictions specifically prohibit the use of any self-defense sprays other than pepper spray. Additionally, most spray insecticide containers include warnings stating that "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."
Old 10-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post

FYI: Many jurisdictions specifically prohibit the use of any self-defense sprays other than pepper spray. Additionally, most spray insecticide containers include warnings stating that "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

I don't believe ANY law enforcement would cite a person for doing ANYTHING which
was necessary in a self defense situation. If I can kill the intruder with a gun.....do you really think they would arrest me for spraying insecticide in the face of an intruder? I don't think so.

These laws are just on the books to prevent someone from perpetrating a crime.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I don't believe ANY law enforcement would cite a person for doing ANYTHING which
was necessary in a self defense situation. If I can kill the intruder with a gun.....do you really think they would arrest me for spraying insecticide in the face of an intruder? I don't think so.

These laws are just on the books to prevent someone from perpetrating a crime.

x about 200!

Let's see, a woman is about to be raped and maybe killed . . . should she use the wasp spray/pepper spray/baseball bat/pistol to defend herself??? Perhaps she should consult an attorney to see if she could possibly go to jail. Maybe the nice rapist will sit back for awhile so she can call and get some legal advice!

You think?!?
Old 10-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #76

the problem is the sprays won't stop an armed robber to proceed. when you use the spray you are risking to put yourself in a life threatening position. i don't believe non-lethal devices/tools will stop such a crime. when you have a gun, you don't have to use it lightly but you are in control.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
the problem is the sprays won't stop an armed robber to proceed.

The pepper spray causes the eyes to involuntarily close and water profusely. He is effectively blinded for many minutes. He can't be very effective while blind.....gives
the potential victim time to run away. If it wasn't effective police wouldn't use it at all.

Be sure to get "police grade" pepper spray...it's the strongest available.

Someone else shared this link for a company that sells "police grade" directly to the
public. I ordered two recently.

http://foxlabs.com
Old 10-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #78

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
when you have a gun, you don't have to use it lightly but you are in control.
No one will know if they had any control of a violent encounter until the smoke has cleared. Anyone that believes otherwise is seriously deluded, and I don't care that your sister's cousin's brother's uncle's grandfather in law was a state trooper and says otherwise.

When guns come out, things are out of control, and using deadly force is a means to try to regain some amount of control so things work out mostly in your favor. It didn't always work that way, but most of the time, the winner isn't decided just because you had s gun.

Pick a means of defense, get done training, know the laws, avoid trouble. I work to not have to use my gun. YMMV.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #79
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
No one will know if they had any control of a violent encounter until the smoke has cleared. Anyone that believes otherwise is seriously deluded,
I completely agree. Unless you have military experience (and I mean in killing people) you have no idea how you will react when you have to face an intruder. I know that I don't. I know how to use a hand gun, and use it with deadly accuracy, but I still don't know what would happen in a violent confrontation. I would hope that my barking dogs would dissuade any intruder, but if not, they give me time to be ready.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #80

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do they? That's the point that we violently agree on. Even the dogs barking can't prepare you to take a life, and for some people, merely threaten to take life. Unless you've had to be there, you don't know. All one can do is train, practice, train, practice. I hope no one here ever has to find out if they can pull the trigger. Avoidance is better than violence, IMO. Less expensive probably, too.

I was told one of the very important reasons that new cops, like I was in the nineties, spent so much time with their training officers in patrol is because rookies could be just as likely to freeze up as they were to run too hot. I was told that when all else failed I was to tell my TO to "take it" and follow the lead of the experienced officers until I got my head back together and told them "I got this". Based on my experience as a rookie, they knew I'd hit a wall somewhere, everyone does, and it was important to recognize when you're about to freeze up or run to hot. Having a check valve in place likely saved many lives.

Even some with .mil experience never had that much pressure on them past basic training. Civilians could be their own worst enemy without knowing how they respond to extreme stress.

Whatever one chooses, get training. Put yourself through the scenarios, know what it's like to get hit with your own pepper spray or fumble the reload while getting of the X so you know if you can get through the fog of violence enough to not be more of a danger to yourself or others than you would be if you simply handed over your wallet or car keys. There is no shame in letting someone take your stuff and living to fight another day.

Personally, I can't remember ever hearing about folks being attacked because someone broke into their RV while the campers were sleeping, but I may live in a more isolated world than others here. Sure, it could happen, but the odds must be extremely low.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I completely agree. Unless you have military experience (and I mean in killing people) you have no idea how you will react when you have to face an intruder. I know that I don't. I know how to use a hand gun, and use it with deadly accuracy, but I still don't know what would happen in a violent confrontation. I would hope that my barking dogs would dissuade any intruder, but if not, they give me time to be ready.

I agree to a point, but even for one with the military "experience", which fortunately, or unfortunately, I have, the ROE's (rules of engagement) are different at peace in a civilian society than they are in combat. The bad guys here at home, typically don't all dress up in a unique uniform that says "enemy" like the often do in combat. They may start off being friendly, maybe needing help "May I use your cell phone to call a wrecker? Oh, it's in your coach? May we go in?" etc.

LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) receive training very different from that the military receives. They have a much more difficult, or at least a very DIFFERENT job than the typical soldier in combat. This isn't the place to go into detail about soldiers in combat, I merely wanted to express that military training/civilian training differs considerable.

Also (tongue in cheek) in peacetime, and especially in war time, the only "bad" guys you can absolutely identify are the ones with the press badges on.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #82
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess that I could have phrased my thoughts a little better. My basic premise was that unless you have been specifically trained to shoot another person (whether for defensive, law enforcement or military reasons) you really do not know what you might do. Like I said, I know how to shoot a gun and can do it well, but that doesn't mean that I know without any doubt that I could shoot a potential intruder without a seconds hesitation. That's why I feel more secure the fact that I will be alerted before I awake to see someone standing in my bedroom. Hopefully it would never come to that.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #83

Are RV's any different than your stick-n-brick home from the chance of a break-in perspective? From my LEO experience, burglars break into homes during the daytime and into business' at night to steal the contents for the simple fact that they don't want a confrontation.

Home invasions (when people are home), on the other hand, are mostly done by criminals looking for drugs/money with someone in the home known to the people breaking in. This was true in 100% of the home invasions my department investigated. There was always someone in the home involved in criminal activity that attracted the home invaders.

My point is that unless you're dealing drugs or are part of a gang or doing some other kind of criminal activity, the chance of someone breaking into your home/RV, while you're inside, is slim to none. I wouldn't get too excited over it.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #84

Nothing quite as satisfying as the thunk of a Louisville Slugger hitting the ball. Good luck.