Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
x about 200!

Let's see, a woman is about to be raped and maybe killed . . . should she use the wasp spray/pepper spray/baseball bat/pistol to defend herself??? Perhaps she should consult an attorney to see if she could possibly go to jail. Maybe the nice rapist will sit back for awhile so she can call and get some legal advice!

You think?!?
There's an old saying:

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than be carried by six."

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
There's an old saying:

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than be carried by six."

What HE said, x 2!

Also, although I may hesitate to shoot someone who is coming after me personally, if they are coming after my wife or kids . . . . they're going down.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #87

As poster #81 noted, the ROEs are different in the military and civilian life. I do not have the mindset that I had 48 years ago (and am glad for that). Several fellow RVN era Rangers feel that they still have that mindset and have disavowed the ownership of firearms.
Reed
Old 10-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
In our motorhome, I retract the steps at night if I am in an uncomfortable situation.
This makes it more difficult to access the door and enter.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #89

I make sure the DW sleeps closest to the door. That way they have to go through her , to get to me. I know how scared I am when she is pissed at me. I can't imagine her getting pissed off at a stranger !!!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
How about a drone hovering over....gattling gun attached of course!
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
I make sure the DW sleeps closest to the door. That way they have to go through her , to get to me. I know how scared I am when she is pissed at me. I can't imagine her getting pissed off at a stranger !!!
your dw doesn't come to the forum, does she?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #92

planning to travel all over the states and doing lots of boondocking and overnight parking I also greatly thought about security.

The following are my thoughts:

- my RV will probably be about 20 years old => less attractive than a shiny 45ft 4-slide class A.
- coach windows should all be high enough so the only easy way to get in will be the door.
- I'll install PIR sensors around the RV that shall monitor the close perimeter. If one of them activates I'll want to have a silent alarm in the bedroom (note to self: switch it off in case it's a stormy night).
- in case the PIR sensors activate in a pattern like they would if someone was sneaking around the RV, outdoor and indoor lights will come on
- entrance door handle will be put under high voltage (like a cow fence)
- PIR sensor inside the RV living room.
- Backup camera and an additional right side camera will be constantly recorded
- Panic button in the bedroom, living room and next to the entrance door. If pressed the horn will sound until the air tanks are empty.
- Maybe install a quick way to remotely fire up the engine for a quick getaway...?

maybe you find one or the other option appealing

cheers,
Matt
Old 10-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #93
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
There may be another option available, a "gun" that shoots pepper spray.

Whether it would be useful, helpful, etc. is not mine to judge, just relaying an article I ran into that purports to be capable of providing personal protection.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
your dw doesn't come to the forum, does she?

Nope ...
Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #95
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
1) We carry a package of Marine Flares. Point one of those babies at an intruder and he'll wish you'd shot him with a gun.

2) I carry bear spray. Much more powerful than pepper spray.

3) We never go to bed at night without retracting the steps.

4) We make sure some exterior lights are on and we leave a light on in the living area at night.

5) We bought our coach from a deputy sheriff. He had put "Jefferson County Sheriff's Department" (not the actual county) decals on the coach in several places. We decided to leave those on.

6) I fill up the interior steps (by the door) with all kinds of crap that would slow down anyone trying to get inside in hurry. I don't mind moving it every morning and putting it back at night. Our security is worth the time.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 AM   #96

Night time Security

Nightime? What about daytime?
They want your stuff, not you!
When you are gone will you be more paranoid now?
Gone all day seeing stuff or off roading or riding Kamakazi Cars in the dirt (et al)? Go to dinner and come back after dark? Parking-lot-docking? Booning it? Went out to a late movie?
Read here of one bloke with a nifty rig in storage that wondered why his big $ Rolex was hoarked. Not smart!
I cannot sleep, nor leave my rig, in a vulnerable position day or night, and the pealing rumble of a truck stop is nononono.
So maybe put an extra inside-only throw bolt? Naw! Alarms? Only another nuisance noise that gets ignored. Motion sensor? The perps are much smarter than that. If their target seems unattended, they have more time.
I go to CGs where the neighborhood is nice and there are much better targets than mine. And I sleep very well.
Research your places, you will see few issues if any. I haven't.
Just my view from the saddle....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Nightime? What about daytime?
They want your stuff, not you!
When you are gone will you be more paranoid now?....
Well, if the rig is unattended and "we" are not inside, life and health are not endangered, so there are a little less reasons to invest in security. In case someone breaks in my RV alert systems will still be armed, the cameras will be recording and in case an internet connection is available the recordings will be streamed live to a webserver. Afterwards I'll make sure his face won't be forgotten...
There won't be anything to find inside the RV either. The cash I carry I usually carry with me, there'll be a laptop, TV and external hard drives which will probably be the items of highest value in there. I hardly think someone would be stupid enough to try and steal the whole RV... Those things are too easy to track.

cheers,
Matt
Old 10-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #98

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK, so the fear is that someone will break in to harm the RV occupants at night.

Please, someone, anyone, prove to me that is happens with enough regularity for it to become something to be afraid of.

Closed Thread