Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Please, someone, anyone, prove to me that is happens with enough regularity for it to become something to be afraid of.

Lightning kills very few statistically.......but does that mean you shouldn't be worried about getting inside when a thunderstorm comes ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #100

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No, it means you count the seconds between thunder claps to see how far away the storm is, or check weather radar to see if it's coming your way. Because, you know, facts help rational people make better decisions. And the fact is that people *still* rarely get hit by lightning despite the near instant info we have at hand.

Next?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #101

Quote:
No, it means you count the seconds between thunder claps to see how far away the storm is, or check weather radar to see if it's coming your way. Because, you know, facts help rational people make better decisions. And the fact is that people *still* rarely get hit by lightning despite the near instant info we have at hand.

Next?

You proved the point I was making...... You took some action to save yourself from the perceived threat..... That is the point..... Taking some sensible steps and being prepared for any eventuality is logical. Doing nothing or ignoring the threat because you don't think it will happen to you is a bad choice. 😃
Old 10-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #102

such a crime one is too many.

1 killed, 3 wounded in Gresham mobile-RV park

RV is a home to many people. home invasion crimes are never short. just a few:

Teen admits killing man after botched burglary | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Lancaster teacher killed in botched burglary | Berks Area News - Home
Old 10-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #103

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One story from 2008, one from 2014, one from 2015. If this is an accurate reflection of the number of incidents/year, this is the lowest concern violent crime of the century.

You've provided anecdotes. I want to know how often it happens. How many attacks on sleeping RVers occur every year?

Based on my experience, it's nearly none compared to every other crime that travelers suffer, but this one particular type has pages and pages of discussion. Very disproportionate to the possible rate of occurrence.

I guess it's true: people will get rid of nearly everything before they even think of getting rid of their fears.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #104

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You proved the point I was making...... You took some action to save yourself from the perceived threat..... That is the point..... Taking some sensible steps and being prepared for any eventuality is logical. Doing nothing or ignoring the threat because you don't think it will happen to you is a bad choice. 😃
No, a bad choice is to be afraid of something so rare it almost deserves no mention at all.

Are we all packing heat, or packing around our fears?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #105

nah, well, as I said before there is not much to get in an RV. What can a regular burglar expect to find in an RV? The radio, some (probably cheap) dishes, forks, knifes and - if lucky - a laptop and some other mobile digital equipment.
So to sum it up, the resale value of a burglars loot of an RV probably won't be higher than 2000USD. Most professional burglars with a little bit of brain should notice that will surely not justify the risk of getting caught in action.

So judging from common sense and statistics, we're very safe. Statistically probably safer than in a house. However it's definitely no mistake to talk about security and increase security and safety precautions, the more potential burglars notice how concerned we are for our security, the less likely they'll get close to our stuff.

cheers,
Matt
Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #106

"The investigation by the East County Major Crimes Team continues. Investigators said the man attacked inside the mobile home was targeted, and it may have been gang-related."
From the first link---doesn't sound like any RV parks I would find myself in, altho I have had to change my mind after seeing where I was headed in person.

Awareness of surroundings will go a long way towards avoiding a bad situation.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #107

Yawn, I think I'll turn off the lights and go to bed.

Currently in Ely, NV
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 11-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #108

Nope, only a little over 2,000,000 burglaries a year. Nothing to be worried about.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...e/burglarymain

Old 11-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #109

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How many of those are RVs with the occupants inside?
(Hint: the occupants being inside the RV will probably change the crime from burglary to robbery, and how many of those happen to RVers in a year?)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #110

Quote:
How many of those are RVs with the occupants inside?
(Hint: the occupants being inside the RV will probably change the crime from burglary to robbery, and how many of those happen to RVers in a year?)
Doesn't say. Entering any dwelling, be it an RV or house, is still a burglary.

And it only changes to robbery if the victim knows about it during the commission of the crime. ie: removal of property through force, threat or intimidation. If you sleep through a burglary it's only a burglary.

Still, 2 million. That's a lot, homie.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #111

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If someone can enter your RV while you're in it and you don't know about it, you have problems beyond security/insecurity.

Can you tell me which states consider an RV being camped in a dwelling under state law?

I'd guess, and probably be close enough for horseshoes, that the number of RVs considered dwellings at the time they were burgled or robbed for the latest complete set of FBI UCR stats is far south of 5%. I will grant this is a very safe bet as I'm sure the stats are impossible to find.

You can have facts, or fear. Are we packing heat, or packing fear?
Old 11-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #112

Quote:
If someone can enter your RV while you're in it and you don't know about it, you have problems beyond security/insecurity.

Can you tell me which states consider an RV being camped in a dwelling under state law?

I'd guess, and probably be close enough for horseshoes, that the number of RVs considered dwellings at the time they were burgled or robbed for the latest complete set of FBI UCR stats is far south of 5%. I will grant this is a very safe bet as I'm sure the stats are impossible to find.

You can have facts, or fear. Are we packing heat, or packing fear?

Although I personally was never a Boy Scout, they still have a pretty good Motto! "Be Prepared"

Closed Thread