Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
Norcold 4 door frig, gas consumption

I am not sure where to post this question. I frequently use my motorhome when where i have no electric hook ups. I am trying to figure out how much propane my Norcold would use over a day or a week to keep itself cold. My coach has a 35 gal propane tank. Just wondering how much gas they consume.

2001 Itasca Horizon
24' Enclosed Car Hauler
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try it in the driveway or at the storage lot if you store outside. Put some stuff in there, let it start with a full propane bottle, and try to open it at least once a day. At the end of a week, refill the bottle and see how much it takes. This will give you some kind of idea into how much it might use if the door isn't opened much. Opening the fridge more than once a day will use more fuel, of course, but you gotta start somewhere.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
I have a 2005 Dolphin with the larger 4 door fridge. My last two trips were a month and a half long and 2 months long. I used less than 3/4 of a tank on both trips using the fridge and hot water heater. I was surprised how little it used.
jpm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
My 4-door Norcold (1200LR, not in a slide, in a 2003 moho) uses 1/2 gallon of propane per day.

I posted about how I determined this number previously, in a thread about electrical costs, but it drifted; the drift starts in post #15, but here's the link to my numbers in post #18:

Electrical Costs

Then I posted the results from another experience, further down that thread (post #38), and answered some more questions after that.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I had a 38 gallon with the 1200 and filled once a year using the furnace and the refer for up to 6 months with about 1/2 time on hookups. And never took much more than 1/2 tank of propane. While not on hookups we would run the gen for about 4 hours a day on the diesel gen and 110 was auto switched off of propane for those hours. Now they did coincide with the high refer use, morning and evening so I am sure this played into the use. But there were always a number of days where the temps were in the 80-90 range in the desert so there were some higher use days.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
You could use an small auxiliary lp tank with an extend a stay valve, and see how long the auxiliary tank lasts.
MADP, Jeep, Blue Ox, SMI AFO, Solar: 900w/672a, Amish cooling unit, Lifetime: SKP & Days End
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
We winter in Quartzsite and all i can say is the 35 gallon propane tank will keep the 4 door happy for well over a month!
We only turn on HWH when needed and get alot of miles off the propane tank.
When we purchased rig the Norcold 4 door was cooked! Ended up gettin an Amish cooling unit. Been very happy for the last 2 years.
Dont think ill ever go residential fridge unless we end up with full hookups.

Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Quartsite AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

door, gas, norcold