Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Not sure how to install a battery monitor

I have a trailer with the batteries in the front. My camper has a sealed bottom. Not quite sure how to install a battery monitor.

Can the shunt be installed in the battery box? Is it OK for the shunt to be installed by the battery box but would get wet in the rain?

Really trying to figure out how to run the wire for the battery monitor into the camper with a sealed RV bottom.
CrazyCamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

The shunt needs to stay dry so would be best in your battery box.

When I purchased my Victron Bluetooth monitor I gave my Trimetric to a buddy with a TT, I will be helping him install it soon.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

There is a Victron unit with Bluetooth which is what I purchased for similar reasons (haven't installed it yet). The shunt is installed on the negative side of the supply from you battery bank (such that all current goes through it) and can be installed in the battery box as long as it's out of the rain, it's designed to handle the same temperature's as your batteries.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The battery box should be fine for mounting the shunt. As for a wire route all you need is something like a CAT 5 wire (about 1/4" diameter) and perhaps you could run it through the entry hole as one the battery cables or the propane line. If it won't go through any existing hole I'd drill like 1 3/8 hole, run the cable and fill the entire hole with silicone caulk. Make a good seal inside and outside. I always like to protect any exposed cable with wire loom from FOD.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #5

My shunt is in the battery box on the Neg side.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

If you get a bluetooth model you don't need to run wires into the trailer. Just get a waterproof project box, mount the monitor inside of that and use the bluetooth feature to monitor on your phone. That's what we do. Our Victron BMV-712 is mounted down in our storage bay alongside the Victron solar controller. Both are bluetooth and both can be read on our iPhones or iPads. Beats running wires up through the floor, behind cabinets, etc., etc.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 AM   #7

I have a 2 6V battery system. I connected the temperature sensor wire to the open positive of the battery to B1 and B2 of the shunt (red wire in B1 and black wire of the sensor to B2). The positive terminal also has the red wire for the camper connected. I connected the open negative battery terminal to the shunt (the terminals where the batteries are connected together to make 12V are not used). I tried to get Bluetooth working but no luck. I get 'No Device Found'. Then I connected the actual round display unit (the part that is installed in the camper with the wire supplied) and the display did not power up. It doesn't look like I'm getting power to the shunt. I do have power to the camper.

Any thoughts on how to get this working? Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery box.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	246170  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know what brand of battery monitor you're using. On mine you do not provide power to the shunt. It has negative from the RV and to the battery negative. On one side of the shunt I have two small signal wires leading to the monitor. Plus one lead from the other side of the shunt. Then one hot to the shunt from a battery positive. The temp wire can be placed anywhere pretty much. It is only a thermocouple and is not used for any power.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #9

Do you have this document ?

From your picture you do not have temp sensor wiring (fig 4). Looks like you have fig 3 wiring. Never mind the starter/aux battery part of fig 3 are you wired like fig 3?

FYI for others helping here. The small positive wire is not to the shunt, it is to the circuit board monitoring the shunt.

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:20 AM   #10

unyalli, I originally had the temp sensor wired like figure 3. The red wire with the fuse going into B1 and the black wire going into B2. When that wasn't working, I tried figure 2 and had the wire that came with the BMV-702 connected to B1.

Looking at the shunt the wire is plugged into B1. Not sure what is meant by the positive wire is connected to the circuit board monitoring the shunt. I pulled the orange thing on top back and inserted the wire into the hole labeled B1 on the diagram.

I'm baffled by this. I've ordered another one from Amazon.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #11

By the way. I don't see the battery monitor or even the cable for the monitor in your picture.

- Jeff
Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 AM   #12

Ha! The red wire was connected to B2. It's now on B1. The app didn't find the device. Does this look right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	246263  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCamper2 View Post
Ha! The red wire was connected to B2. It's now on B1. The app didn't find the device. Does this look right?
Yes but you need to connect the battery monitor to the shunt also. If memory serves you have the 712 with builtin blue tooth. The blue tooth is in the round monitor so it has to be running.

- Jeff
Old 05-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #14

That's it!!! It's working now. I was trying to get Bluetooth working without the battery monitor plugged in. Once I plugged in the monitor, the the app found the device.

Thanks!!!

Tags
battery, install, monitor