Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
15 amps x 120 volts is 18,000 watts or 1.8kw. Average utility cost is $0.12 per kwhour. So about $0.22 per hour if the A/C is on continiously. Figure using the A/C about 6 hours a day (it will cycle off 50% of the time). Thus about $1.30 per day.
Your 1.8KW is correct which is 1800 watts not 18,000 watts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 AM   #16

It will be much cheaper to plug in, even at your parent's house. By cheaper, I mean by at least 10X vs the fuel to run a generator.

Good luck with traveling with your family - your concept is a good one.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #17

We survived!

Overall, after 4 hours on the road, about 4 hours of it sitting with running the engine and generator (not all at once, total over the weekend) and 52 straight hours of the generator...we used about 3/4 tank. Not terrible.

Learned a lot.

In laws house is great For boondocking - and father in law said he'd be happy to have a 50 amp connection installed for us, so we are good to go there. I'm so grateful for these people!

And turns out where we could park at my parents wouldn't let us put the slide out, so that's unfortunate. But there are a few areas that offer year round parking about 15 minutes away, so kiddo can stay with grandma while hubs and I enjoy some adult time in the RV!

Doesn't sound like I'll be boondocking much now, but at least we know what to expect if we do it in the future.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Just for clarification...if you have one (1) roof A/C unit, your coach should have a 4.0-KW Onan Generator and 30Amp Power Cord. If you have (2) roof A/C units, your coach should have a 5.5-KW Onan Generator and 50Amp Power Cord. Enjoy your RV!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
An option to accessorize your coach with is Fantastic fans if you have not already got them. Get the multi speed, thermostatically controlled, reversing, rain sensor at a minimum. The high end of the line comes with remote control and variable speed. Really efficient at cooling a unit.

If you have two vents install one in each. Then to really work well you can have one blowing in and the other blowing out. They will move huge amounts of air.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH1481 View Post
Just for clarification...if you have one (1) roof A/C unit, your coach should have a 4.0-KW Onan Generator and 30Amp Power Cord. If you have (2) roof A/C units, your coach should have a 5.5-KW Onan Generator and 50Amp Power Cord. Enjoy your RV!
We have 2 for sure. 50 amp connection, but dealership gave us a 30amp converter.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier12315 View Post
We have 2 for sure. 50 amp connection, but dealership gave us a 30amp converter.
Well most of your questions have been answered and you survived your first outing so not much to add. I will say even if you get the 50AMP hook up at the in laws you may consider getting a Macerator for your dump tanks, if he has a clean out any where within a 100 feet you can run a garden hose (5/8ths or larger) to the clean out and dump your tanks using the macerator. Just a thought.

I have a 50-30-15 amp reducer on my coach for when I park at my house for storage, I can run one A/C easily on my 20 AMP dedicated circuit from my house using a 10AWG heavy duty extension cord with no issues. IF it is really hot and I have family staying I use my GEN for both a/c during the heat of the day and then shut it down at evening and go back to one a/c for the night. Other than the a/c everything else will run fine off the 20AMP circuit.

Just food for thought. Good luck and enjoy

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking