Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
NY Route 81

Anyone ever spend the night "resting" at the welcome center located near exit 2 Northbound on New York Route 81? It is near Kirkwood. In fact I believe it is called the Kirkwood Welcome Center. Very nice location open all night with a state trooper location on the site. We are making a short trip up to canada from Maryland and I remember passing it and thinking it would be a perfect halfway stop over.

Thanks, Mike
StockHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You might want to call the NY DMV or state police and ask - many states do not allow you to stay overnight in a rest area. You can "rest", but not for several hours.

I have no specific knowledge of NY regulations.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #3

I believe we have stopped there enroute to Albany, the sign says "night security on duty 11pm to 7am" or somethig like that. It seems they don't mind over-nighters as it was off the highway a few hundred yards.
airbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockHR View Post
Anyone ever spend the night "resting" at the welcome center located near exit 2 Northbound on New York Route 81? It is near Kirkwood. In fact I believe it is called the Kirkwood Welcome Center. Very nice location open all night with a state trooper location on the site. We are making a short trip up to canada from Maryland and I remember passing it and thinking it would be a perfect halfway stop over.

Thanks, Mike
You did not say when your were coming up to the rest area. I saw in the local paper that the rest area is closed for re-paving the rest of this week.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a Flying J about 25 miles sooner Pilot Travel Centers LLC - #710 New Milford, PA
We have spent several nights there and they have fuel, food, etc.
Toot as you pass through the Syracuse area, we'll be
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help. Will be heading North for a quick trip to visit friends in two weeks.

Mike
StockHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Mike,

Another option for you are Cracker Barrel's I have stayed at the one in Binghamton I-81 & US 11 a few times, and then get up and go in and have a nice breakfast before hitting the road! There are also ones at Cicero I-81 & SR 31 and Watertown I-81 & SR 12!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL View Post
Hey Mike,

Another option for you are Cracker Barrel's I have stayed at the one in Binghamton I-81 & US 11 a few times, and then get up and go in and have a nice breakfast before hitting the road! There are also ones at Cicero I-81 & SR 31 and Watertown I-81 & SR 12!
The Cracker Barrel in Binghamton is at Exit 5 on I-81 heading north. After getting off the exit, take a right turn and the Cracker Barrel is on the right. A very big parking lot that is shared with a movie theatre.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote