Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Off the Grid Airstreamer.... 25 feet of attitude

Airstreams are not designed to Boondock or in my case... Off the Grid exploring the Rocky Mountains. A geologist who understands that some trailers have their limits and the Airstream more than others.

My wife and two Blue Heelers are not found at a full service, full hookup camp site, often. We rarely find ourselves at a Forest Service camp site which is as good as it can get! Just can be a bit crowded, so we tow further into the National Forests or on BLM lands for those sites that takes a bit of skill to navigate and avoid the Airstream Lament... limited clearance.

Airstream Owner Question: Post #5 Cumminsfan

On another thread where Cumminsfan said "Airstreams are more for show than go". I could apply that also for most "for show" tow vehicles, which is also not an appropriate criticism. Do not let the 1930's beginnings of an aluminum skin on an Airstream being towed by a 5.7L or a Diesel 4x4 fool you... some Airstreamers can change your opinions about the "no go" aspect.

Cumminsfan is correct for the majority of Airstream owners, but not ALL. Closer to 90% would not consider hitting the gravel and two ruts. I am among the 10% of Airstream owners... who have the experience and back country experience some only dream possible.

Anyone considering an Airstream for unconventional Off the Grid travel and camping... throw your questions my direction.

Anyone who, and with an Airstream's limitations for clearance, want to discuss how we handle Off the Grid camping... give me a chance.

The variety of trailers, and my preferences up to 25 foot trailers, all have advantages and disadvantages. The Airstream... may look like it belongs in a manicured RV Park along a Palm Springs beach... the looks are 80 years in the making and the attitude has what it takes to be a capable OtG trailer! This is not Grandma's trailer at all. Check the Airstream Forums... we are a small group outside the typical Airstream owner stereotype... but share your enthusiasm for Off the Grid exploring in style.

We evolved from tent campers in the Badlands of western Nebraska to trailer campers within the entire Rocky Mountain Region as our playground for fun and exploring for "treasure" within these same mountains!

I look forward to meeting all of you who love Boondocking and push the Off the Grid to the limit. The only limit is your imagination... and a good map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1871.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	581.3 KB
ID:	115283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0229.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	115284  

Name:	DSCN2289.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	115285  

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
A Trailer's beauty are the Boondockers within...

My 25 foot Airstream has some advantages that other equally quality trailers may or may not. What you see is only the exterior. Once you step inside, all travel trailers have similar comforts.

Underneath this thin aluminum skin beats the heart of an Olympian Athlete ready to take on any task or challenge. Two 30 pound cylinders of propane at your disposal. Two AGM Interstate Batteries. LED interior lighting. A whopping 39 gallons of fresh water with a 6 gallon hot water tank, as well. An aerodynamic shape that makes towing in cross winds just that more pleasurable. A brisk headwind will not buck the trailer in tow on open highways in the high prairies of the Rockies. Indeed an air stream.

A width of 8 feet 5" and height of 9 feet 7" can avoid those low hanging branches, that taller trailers have trimmed in advance from their higher clearances when Boondocking. The width manages to slip through those narrow roads with brush/trees encroaching on both sides. I know, I felt the same as the rest of you that an Airstream's place as a trailer was some cozy RV Full Hookup with cable TV service and WiFi. Not as nimble as a Casita or similar more mobile brands, but capable of keeping up once off the paved roads.

A late model used Airstream is most likely used by an older couple who parked their trailer in a RV garage next to the house. That is why a 10 year old trailer looks... new. Well, it practically is new. Most owners baby them and take them out during nice weather and for RV Park comforts. I consider that Trailer ABUSE, in my own way. This makes a used Airstream worth looking at when shopping.

At an RV Show in 2006 we went back and forth between a 23 foot Airstream and a 25 foot Arctic Fox. Both fine trailers. Both double axles which are handy in the event of a flat tire. We decided to buy the Airstream and after the price paid was forgotten, the quality remained an asset. An asset upon resale to buy our current 25 foot Airstream when offered for sale on Craigslist with three buyers in line. For resale an Airstream catches a lot of interest, if priced right. The longer the trailer, the better the deal you can negotiate, since the 16 to 25 foot models have the majority of interest, with those up to 34 feet available for that special person.

Well... now you know my story. Owners of Airstreams are just regular folks like yourselves when Boondocking. It keeps you dry and comfortable. When you get right down to it... Boondockers are such a small group, the trailer brands means nothing. It is like what kind of climbing boot you like to wear. The prices may differ, but the spirit within each of our trailers make it worth traveling and exploring.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the enthusiasm! And welcome to iRV2.

Your first line in Post #1 made me scratch my head - "Airstreams are not designed to Boondock or in my case... Off the Grid exploring"

So glad you added to the post with how hardy these RV's actually are.

And here's hope that you post here all about your Airstream. The separate websites decrease the diversity of information.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
Never Rains in Arizona... does it?

This is one of our "unpleasant" detours taking a short cut in north central Arizona... north of Payson, AZ. It took two days to get OUT of this short cut that was five miles long. One of our early trips exploring... and of course, it NEVER rains in Arizona, does it?

This was the 6 inch narrower 2006 23 foot Safari.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1798.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	115380   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1797.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	618.0 KB
ID:	115381  

Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Airstream's Mother... ain't she cute?

Here is a family portrait of our 2006 Airstream's Mother. Her rivets are over 65 years old and counting. Bad Momma, to be sure.

When you pass us on the highway... smile.

My wife is driving.

This was at the Kalispell, Montana airport where people could pay and fly in this bomber. Anyone could walk through it while it sat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2071.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	115382   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2074.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	115383