Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #1

We are planning on a trip in Sept to the Rockies, higher elevations. No electricity, so I know the central heat will zap the batteries real fast, though we do have a Honda 2000 and 4 Trojans.

I have been looking at the Olypian Wave 6. Thought about pullng out the fake fireplace under the TV, in the bottem of the intertainment center and mounting it there.

Olypian brochure says it will heat my camper. How much vent/window would I need to leave open?? Anyone else using the Wave 6 in their camper and how do you like it??

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #2

We are planning on a trip in Sept to the Rockies, higher elevations. No electricity, so I know the central heat will zap the batteries real fast, though we do have a Honda 2000 and 4 Trojans.

I have been looking at the Olypian Wave 6. Thought about pullng out the fake fireplace under the TV, in the bottem of the intertainment center and mounting it there.

Olypian brochure says it will heat my camper. How much vent/window would I need to leave open?? Anyone else using the Wave 6 in their camper and how do you like it??

Thanks,
Old 08-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We use a Mr Heater Buddy Heater, which is similar.

If you are planning on leaving it on overnight, I would open a window about an inch. During the day or evening, when we are awake anway, we don't have anything open. The low oxygen sensor should protect you anyway, but I wouldn't take a chance on it while we are sleeping.

We usually leaev the heater off overnight and set the big furnace low, around 50-55. It doesn't run too much thatway and the bateries are not taxed too badly. Then I fire up the Buddy heater in the morning and go back to bed for 20-30 minutes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #4

Hey RV R.
I was thinking about the Mr Buddy. Price is much better and you can move around, but the website says they only work to 7000' elevation. We will be camping at 8500' or sometimes 9000'. Will they work at all at high elevation?? or just not as effiecient?? or what??
Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know - never had ours up that high.

Many LP appliances don't function well above 8000 ft or so. Apparently has something to do with the reduced air pressure and the effect on the gas nozzle (jet). I know that high altitude nozzles are sold for some appliances, e.g. bigger heaters, fancier grills, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #6

I don't know about the Mr Buddy, the Wave 6 works as long as you have propane. This is the second rig we have had with the Wave 6. They are very good for boondocking.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #7

Hey Dagwood_73. You won't have a problem at all with the Olympian Wave 6. We have the Wave 8 and used it in the mountains at 6600 Ft. for 3 months at a time while we hosted a campground for 3 years. During the time before and after heading there we were consistantly at over 9000' using it for up to a week while we hiked. We never did use it while we slept, though. Why even take the chance with something that you cannot smell or taste. Once up in the morning for the regular early morning constitutional, I would lite the Wave 8 and jump back in Bed for another hr. It works well. In our 5th wheel, we would open the vent over the bed about 1" and a rear window about the same. We never did have a problem. Good Luck! Cheers. Len
Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #8

We got the Wave 8 and used it several times. Glad I got it instead of the 6. Works good, but we don't sleep with it either, light it in the morning.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kd7akn:
I don't know about the Mr Buddy, the Wave 6 works as long as you have propane. This is the second rig we have had with the Wave 6. They are very good for boondocking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with you. The Olmpian Waves are good heaters. Silent, no electricity required, and 99% efficient. I run an RV Park in the Sierra's. I have sold and installed 7 Olympian Wave heaters this year alone. One caution, Be careful when attaching the 3/8 Female Flare hose end, to the heater, that the 3/8 Male flare that comes out of the heater doesn't twist and destroy the tubing inside the heater, and cause dangerous leak. Other than that little problem, they are great.
USMC_SgtMaj(Ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #10

We have a BIG BUDDY & a little BUDDY. Live in Wyoming at 7,100'. Almost froze to death on a horse pack trip in August during a blizzard at 9,000' when the Buddy left us in the cold!

At that time the Mfg said nothing about the darn thing not working above 7,000'. Too late for us now they do.

We really like the Big Buddy to heat our 23' trailer!, but only under seven grand! Don't count on one over that altitude!
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #11

The Olympian Wave 6 does NOT have a low oxygen sensor from what I can find. If you're really on a budget, get one of these old coleman heaters which is almost the same as the Olympian except it's portable like a Mr Heater but has output not much below than the Olympian. Of course, the Mr Heater Big Buddy has the low oxygen sensor. There's no real easy solution to heating if you plan to boondock. The
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #12

I have no experience with the Olypiam but do have some friends with the Big Buddy and they camp over 7000 ft all the time and I don't recall them having a problem. I'm not saying you wont.

They heat their 27 ft toyhauler with it because they don't like using the furnace because they don't like listening to their generator to recharge the batteries. Their toyhauler is about 4 years old and the generator has less than 5 hours on it.

The Olypian sounds like a great choice.
rubiranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #13

Hi Everyone:

This is my first post here. I live in a 40 foot 5th Wheel RV by Mallard, 1992. This is my home and when I moved to my friends place I never dreamed I would have so much trouble with the heating.

I have bought two Wave heaters. A Wave 3 for the bedroom and a Wave 8 for the living room/kitchen area.

I am praying this will work. I have contacted the Camco Company that make them and they have been helpful, but still have concerns that it will keep me warm enough during these winter nights.

My friend are completely on Solar Energy for their living and my RV heater is draining them and just is not working, so we are looking for ways for me to boondock lifestyle from them and looking at ways to do it to keep me warm.

I live at the 6,000 level in the Eastern Sierra Mountains near Bishop and this is very different than I had expected with the RV.

Any suggestions and ideas and those with history with the Wave heaters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #14

I live @ 7,100' and can absolutely, without question, positively guarantee the Buddy heaters WILL NOT WORK, with any degree of assurance, over 7,000'.

That altitude will vary somewhat depending upon the barometric pressure. You might get one going at 8,000' only to see it go out when a little low pressure system come through. It won't work at 9,000' - PERIOD! I report this at having been caught in an August snowstorm, with very uncomfortable, even life threatening consequences.

We have a standard Buddy & a Big Buddy. The Big Buddy will take off the morning chill in a 23' trailer and frankly we really like it! We use it a lot at lower altitudes! It is indeed portable and puts out lots of heat! We use it in the trailer and in a tent.

However, I am going to get a WAVE because it is cold here 10 months out of 12.
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote