Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Yea, omni directional antenna's suck. Get the app and a compass and point your directional antenna in the optimized direction.

If you know exactly where you'll be camping, you can go to TVFOOL.COM and put in the closest address. It'll give you a list of tv stations and directions to point the antenna.

gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I might add.. Most of the places I park I knwo where to point.. But I added a new upgrade to by Batwing.

Original: Batwing (Sensar II)
Added 1st step: Wingman,, Made a respectable improvement (About double signal strength, that's 3db)

Added Sensar Pro.

WOW. This puppy makes pointing way easier, It searches for the strongest signal, displays it and it's strength, responds very quickly as you turn the antenna, (I have used the signal strength meter in my digital converter but that is way slower to respond and it does not search for the strongest, I have to pick one so it's way slow as I have to scan, then choose, then aim, then re-scan and so on).

And more.. I'm very happy with that Sensar Pro.

Oh, it has a 2nd pre-amp in it too, so it acts as a booster in addition to an aiming tool IF NEEDED (the 2nd pre-amp is adjustable)

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
You can actually make a pretty good omnidirectional tv / fm antenna your self... just google "diy omni directional tv antenna"

I am currently using a HD-360 antenna for dtv / fm .. works pretty good..

Heres a link:

BUY OUTDOOR HDTV OMNIDIRECTIONAL TV ANTENNA AMPLIFIED TV ANTENNA DTV BEST DIGITAL DVB-T OMNI DIRECTIONAL Omnidirectional TV Antenna HDTV Antenna HD Antenna hd tv antenna dtv antenna best hdtv antenna hdtv antenna RV BOAT Marine TV Antenna
askywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
Well i thought the reason why omni directional antenna's don't recieve as far is because they actually pick up too many signals, especially reflected 2nd and 3rd order signals which interfere with the actual signals you want.

Whereas a directional antenna isolates signals in a particular direction which gives you much less interference and a much cleaner signal to work with. Instead of gathering multiple signals and the reciever working hard to filter out what it doesn't want and amplify what it wants. And if you amplify unwanted signals, you could end up saturating out the good signals.

In my particular case, i'm using a directional antenna in my house mounted inside my attic pointed towards the center average of 5 tv stations about 30-40 miles away. I recieve all 5 stations with absolutely no breaking up, they come in like it's on cable, and in full HD. I could point it in other directions to get different stations, but i get Fox, CW, ABC, NBC, and CBS which are the only stations you really need anyways. Did i mention that i'm not using any kind of amplifier. Don't need one, even through about 30 foot of RG6 cable, antenna connects directly to my tv.

gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote