Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Over night Boondocking

When I am traveling and do a stop I don’t use the campgrounds simply because I just want a place to park for a few hours to sleep and catch a shower. They want full price even if I don’t use their shore power or water and I refuse to pay their rates for a parking spot. The most I am stopped is around 8 hours so I have a couple of favorite places to get some good rest. I am not a rest area, truck stop or Wal-Mart groupie person so I will stop in a RV Dealers lot or a church parking lot. The local police have never bothered me in either of these places. I think they think I am a traveling pastor and drive on, but I have had many a pastor give me my first cup of coffee in the morning and if they start rolling a stone with their foot while we are visiting I gladly hand them $10 and go on my way. You guys got you’re favorite over night boon docking spots? Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I think they think I am a traveling pastor and drive on, but I have had many a pastor give me my first cup of coffee in the morning and if they start rolling a stone with their foot while we are visiting I gladly hand them $10 and go on my way.
Does this count for sitting through a Sunday sermon???

We do a Wal-Mart or two when traveling. Don't make a habit out of it. We like the hookup luxuries. Never do two nights in a row boondocking. My lovely bride doesn't do heat...so forget it if it is in the 90*F.

We are finding that in these tough economic times, the Wal-Marts lots and the like are filling with some folks of questionable character. Many are staying in there PUs or cars, apparently homeless. They walk the lots in the middle of the nights...had some lookin' in the windows. They leave in the AM and come back at night. We've seen dope deals coming down with a number of kids with cash standing in a line to score. Oh BTW, they wouldn't take my credit card!!!! Apparently this is their home. Not trying to judgmental or condemning...just letting you know what we've seen. Not paranoid, just trying to be careful.

Trust me...I've had things stolen, etc. in nice RV parks too!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I am not a rest area, truck stop or Wal-Mart groupie person so I will stop in a RV Dealers lot or a church parking lot. The local police have never bothered me in either of these places. I think they think I am a traveling pastor and drive on, but I have had many a pastor give me my first cup of coffee in the morning and if they start rolling a stone with their foot while we are visiting I gladly hand them $10 and go on my way.
What an awesome idea! I love it. I have stopped once or twice in defunct business parking lots (easy to find now) but was never real comfortable. I carry protection, but no point inviting trouble. Thanks for passing your idea on to the rest of us.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
We are not into staying at Wal-Marts much either -BUT I can tell you that the Wal-Mart in Woodland is RV friendly AND there is a chance I might be able to look out a window and have an "Excel" siting!!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by MonacoMama:
We are not into staying at Wal-Marts much either -BUT I can tell you that the Wal-Mart in Woodland is RV friendly AND there is a chance I might be able to look out a window and have an "Excel" siting!!!

MM
And parking on her 100 story mansion next to the salmon stream ain't bad either! Evening happy hours and food service are rather good if I do say so myself!!!

P.S. I love the new min pins avatar! Next you'll do that silly little weird guy!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I was kind of hoping some of the traveling Elks would be bugling here and telling us their secrets.

QUOTE]Originally posted by rockintom:

We are finding that in these tough economic times, the Wal-Marts lots and the like are filling with some folks of questionable character. Many are staying in there PUs or cars, apparently homeless. They walk the lots in the middle of the nights...had some lookin' in the windows. They leave in the AM and come back at night. We've seen dope deals coming down with a number of kids with cash standing in a line to score. Oh BTW, they wouldn't take my credit card!!!! Apparently this is their home. Not trying to judgmental or condemning...just letting you know what we've seen. Not paranoid, just trying to be careful.[/QUOTE]

Rockin, you need to learn to read the signs on the streets better and you won’t get in those type of neighbor hoods. But you can always tell who the tweaker is by the one in the parking lot that has the grocery cart upside down, fixing the squeaky wheel!

How do you compliment a tweaker? Nice tooth!!!! Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #7

When doing this urban boondockings where to you fill up with water? Just getting started in RVing.
Thank
Terry
TEM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #8

In a smaller rig I've asked for a water fill at convenience stores, gas stations and the like. Never had a problem. I suspect pulling up in a 45ft monster would not get the same congenial reception... Lots of online sources for free dump stations too. State parks might also have dump/fill stations for a small fee - which goes to a good cause too.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM48 View Post
When doing this urban boondockings where to you fill up with water? Just getting started in RVing.
Thank
Terry

Terry, if you are traveling try to stop at a Flying-J truck stop. They have an RV island for fueling and on the outside island you will find a free dump, water, and air for your tires. If you join their rewards club you get a discount on your fuel. They usually have great prices. When you go there for the first time pick up their location flyer with all of the locations.

The Squirrel
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
If you know you will be boondocking, carry enough water to get you through. We always have some water even if we know our next stop will have hookups. I like being prepared and I figure "What's another 300-400 lbs". We never have stayed at a Walmart, but should have in Little Rock. The campground was so bad that we didn't even disconnect from the truck for a quick getaway if necessary.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We tend to frequent the Flying J and Travel America (TA) truck centers more than Wal-Marts or Rest Areas -- too many crazy folks out there anymore! Many of the TA Centers offer the "IdleAire" System (the yellow tubes you've probably noticed hanging down) that provide A/C, heat, TV, internet, etc., all through a pod that fits into the passenger window for a nominal charge per hour.