Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've never done this before but we are planning a trip this summer and need an overnight stay close to Rt 95 in lower Maine this summer. The Walmart Supercenter at 50 Boulder Way Biddeford, ME 04005 is the perfect spot milage wise. I called the store and they allow overnight RV parking.

Does anyone have experience staying overnight at this particular Walmart location? Would you recommend/not recommend it or any other nearby Walmarts in lower Maine/northern NH on rt 95?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From what you posted that's where I'd stay if it were me.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Area is safe, Dunkin Donuts right up the road as is fuel and a grocery & pharmacy store. Several fast foods. Also a mall area with Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Panera bread for wifi.
When you come off the interstate instead of turning right, if you were to go straight through the intersection there is a small industrial park with several vacant businesses.
I would not hesitate pulling in there for the night.
Specify if you are going north or south if you need more info about the area.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When we are low on food, ETC> we stop at WallMart To restock; WE do NOT plan our trip so the stop is at Walmart; Many times we got to a walmart just to find NO overnight Parking Allowed. .. Now I would like you all , or most of you understand. The No overnight camping at walmart is NOT a walmart thing. It will be a City Ordenance And walmart M UST comply Or they are Heavely fined. I think that is clear enough;; Life is good..
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been There

I too will be stopping there this summer. This has been our stop over point on our way to Loudon, NH many times. We always stock up on our food there after crossing border from New Brunswick, Canada.
Great spot for an overnight stop and hit the road next AM. Lots of stores and fast food on the sam street, so have a great trip. PS. Try the Walmart potato salad. It is fantastic. Another really great spot in that area is the Calella's store in Scarborough. They have a super disposal site and water. They allow overnights and again the neighbouring mall was several restaurants.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball
Area is safe, Dunkin Donuts right up the road as is fuel and a grocery & pharmacy store. Several fast foods. Also a mall area with Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Panera bread for wifi.
When you come off the interstate instead of turning right, if you were to go straight through the intersection there is a small industrial park with several vacant businesses.
Thanks akibase and bdaball... Thats the kind of info we were looking for. We will be heading north and just want a quick overnight stop in a safe place to be able to get back on the road in the am.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #7

great My family and I will be headed for Barharbor main so this could be a place for us as well be will be comming from the south CapeMay NJ
Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM Q View Post
great My family and I will be headed for Barharbor main so this could be a place for us as well be will be comming from the south CapeMay NJ
That's the trip we're taking. NJ to Bar Harbor. 14 hours on the road is just too much for us in one day.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
I too will be stopping there this summer. This has been our stop over point on our way to Loudon, NH many times. We always stock up on our food there after crossing border from New Brunswick, Canada.
Great spot for an overnight stop and hit the road next AM. Lots of stores and fast food on the sam street, so have a great trip. PS. Try the Walmart potato salad. It is fantastic. Another really great spot in that area is the Calella's store in Scarborough. They have a super disposal site and water. They allow overnights and again the neighbouring mall was several restaurants.
FYI, THERE IS A BAN ON OVERNIGHT PARKING AT THE CABELLA PARKING AREA. It is not Cabella's policy rather the mall owner and the town of Scarborough. Cabella's is the anchor store with several other smaller stores within the same parking lots. They do have water and dump facilities open during non freezing weather. The water goes off in the fall and on in the spring. You can still dump but no water to flush your tanks during the winter months.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #10

Allstays has a website that has listing of all Wal-Marts state by state with maps and if they allow overnighting or not. They also have an Apps for smart phone which is updated all the time.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Allstays has a website that has listing of all Wal-Marts state by state with maps and if they allow overnighting or not. They also have an Apps for smart phone which is updated all the time.
Thanks, I have the iPhone app. But that still doesn't beat a real recommendation from someone who's actually been to a particular location.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #12

You may want to keep in mind the listings in Walmarts OK to overnight and/or not overnight may not be current or accurate. Two Walmarts near me (Grants Pass & Medford, Oregon) are listed as not allowing overnight RV parking but rarely do you go by and not see RV's parked off to the side or out in a corner. That said I don't know if it was the Allstays site I checked.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
We've never done this before but we are planning a trip this summer and need an overnight stay close to Rt 95 in lower Maine this summer. The Walmart Supercenter at 50 Boulder Way Biddeford, ME 04005 is the perfect spot milage wise. I called the store and they allow overnight RV parking.

Does anyone have experience staying overnight at this particular Walmart location? Would you recommend/not recommend it or any other nearby Walmarts in lower Maine/northern NH on rt 95?

Thanks.
I've stayed here. (I live mostly in Old Orchard Beach and Biddeford and Saco, rarely ever leave Maine at all and don't very often leave York or Cumberland counties and Bidd Walmart is one of my places to park.) Just go in to the service desk and let them know you'll be parking. I've never asked how long you can stay, I've only done overnight parking, but one person told me if you ask they'll let you stay for up to 14 days as long as you go in the store to buy something every day (no idea if that's true or not.) I know there are 2 RVs parked there right now, that have both been there over a week each. They have a big separate "RV parking lot" out behind the building, it's separate from the customer parking. There is a sign there which says "RV Parking". There are RVs parked out their all year long, in the winter you see 3 or 4 on any given day, and during the summer than can be 20 or 30 or more lined up out there. I do most of my shopping almost exclusively at this particular WalMart, so you can expect me here off and on year round, LOL!

I think Bidd Walmart is kind of a "hot spot" for RVers, because it's right there at the Turnpike exit, you come off the pike and there it is. I've actually never seen there NOT be at least 2 RVs here. Other WalMarts you never see RVs during the day, only at night, but the Bidd WalMart, you never see a day or night that does not have RVs out there.

Truck drivers also stay here, so you see rows of big semis lined up quite often. And there is a horse race track not too far away, and when there's a race going on, sometimes you see the horse trailers lined up here too.

Bidd WalMart is kind of packed right now because LaKermesse is going on and there are about 30,000 French tourists here for the festival so, and quite a few are camping out a WalMart right now, so right now Bidd WalMart looks like a Quebec WalMart with bumper to bumper Quebec plates!

If you are looking for a place with hook-ups, Old Orchard Beach has about 30 RV resorts as most of it's 2-million annual tourists come in RVs. (I know of 5 OOB RVResorts with over 500 lots each and 1 with over 700 lots, most of the rest have 200 lots each. I personally recommend "Bailey's Campground" or "The Powder Horn Campground" or "Hid'N'Pines".)

There is another WalMart in Scarborough on the South Portland boarder, right near the Maine Mall. They allow RV parking too, but they don't have the separate parking lot for them, so you just have to park on the outskirts of the lot out of the way of the customers.

There is another Walmart closer to NH, in Sanford (Maine) it just opened last fall, still brand new, I have not been there yet, so don't know if they allow RV parking or not.

They are kind of the only 3 WalMarts around here. Most towns in Maine have anti-big-box store laws so you do not see very many WalMarts (or any other mega marts) outside of York County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
What bdball said.

Also, the second largest hospital in the state is sort of across the street-ish from WalMart. There are doctors and dentists offices all over the place (New England's medical college is just around the corner and down the road aways off The Pool Rd, so Bidd is a hot spot for new/young doctors)

There is a VIP, an AutoZone, a BigLots, a YMCA, several gyms, a movie theater, Mardens, Staples, PetMart, Target, several banks and ATMs, all with in sight from WalMart's parking lot, and if you head towards Old Orchard Beach, (about 5-7 miles away) you'll find SeaCoastRV which does all sorts of emergency RV repairs and service...and if you break down they offer RV towing too.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat

I've stayed here. (I live mostly in Old Orchard Beach and Biddeford and Saco, rarely ever leave Maine at all and don't very often leave York or Cumberland counties and Bidd Walmart is one of my places to park.) Just go in to the service desk and let them know you'll be parking. I've never asked how long you can stay, I've only done overnight parking, but one person told me if you ask they'll let you stay for up to 14 days as long as you go in the store to buy something every day (no idea if that's true or not.) I know there are 2 RVs parked there right now, that have both been there over a week each. They have a big separate "RV parking lot" out behind the building, it's separate from the customer parking. There is a sign there which says "RV Parking". There are RVs parked out their all year long, in the winter you see 3 or 4 on any given day, and during the summer than can be 20 or 30 or more lined up out there. I do most of my shopping almost exclusively at this particular WalMart, so you can expect me here off and on year round, LOL!

I think Bidd Walmart is kind of a "hot spot" for RVers, because it's right there at the Turnpike exit, you come off the pike and there it is. I've actually never seen there NOT be at least 2 RVs here. Other WalMarts you never see RVs during the day, only at night, but the Bidd WalMart, you never see a day or night that does not have RVs out there.

Truck drivers also stay here, so you see rows of big semis lined up quite often. And there is a horse race track not too far away, and when there's a race going on, sometimes you see the horse trailers lined up here too.

Bidd WalMart is kind of packed right now because LaKermesse is going on and there are about 30,000 French tourists here for the festival so, and quite a few are camping out a WalMart right now, so right now Bidd WalMart looks like a Quebec WalMart with bumper to bumper Quebec plates!

If you are looking for a place with hook-ups, Old Orchard Beach has about 30 RV resorts as most of it's 2-million annual tourists come in RVs. (I know of 5 OOB RVResorts with over 500 lots each and 1 with over 700 lots, most of the rest have 200 lots each. I personally recommend "Bailey's Campground" or "The Powder Horn Campground" or "Hid'N'Pines".)

There is another WalMart in Scarborough on the South Portland boarder, right near the Maine Mall. They allow RV parking too, but they don't have the separate parking lot for them, so you just have to park on the outskirts of the lot out of the way of the customers.

There is another Walmart closer to NH, in Sanford (Maine) it just opened last fall, still brand new, I have not been there yet, so don't know if they allow RV parking or not.

They are kind of the only 3 WalMarts around here. Most towns in Maine have anti-big-box store laws so you do not see very many WalMarts (or any other mega marts) outside of York County.

What bdball said.

Also, the second largest hospital in the state is sort of across the street-ish from WalMart. There are doctors and dentists offices all over the place (New England's medical college is just around the corner and down the road aways off The Pool Rd, so Bidd is a hot spot for new/young doctors)

There is a VIP, an AutoZone, a BigLots, a YMCA, several gyms, a movie theater, Mardens, Staples, PetMart, Target, several banks and ATMs, all with in sight from WalMart's parking lot, and if you head towards Old Orchard Beach, (about 5-7 miles away) you'll find SeaCoastRV which does all sorts of emergency RV repairs and service...and if you break down they offer RV towing too.
Great info. Thanks. I called the store yesterday and got a VERY welcoming OK to stay one night this coming week.

Good to go.