Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
you wake up dead in the morning. (Or rather do not wake up).
I wake up dead every Monday.

The ones who are reluctant to use their Genny's are the ones who will have Genny problems. They need to be exercised. Use em or lose em.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #30

I avoid campgrounds while traveling because it almost always takes time and effort that could go into a quick nap. The only thing I try to be sensitive about is that I get far enough back so my generator exhaust is not blowing in alignment with truck doors/cabs (not hard since we don't tow something behind us).

Steve

Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Things went fine, found a Corps of Engineer park about 25 miles from the Flying J I had intended to stay in, for $10.00 a night, had elect and water. beautiful campground on Wright-Patman Lake just south of Texarkana, Tx. just off Hwy. 59, we stayed at Rocky Point camp ground. If you are in the area and need to stop a day or so, its a beautiful park on the Lake. Cost is $20.00 a night unless you have a golden age passport or the new version, then its $10.00 a night
Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
we gave up on flyinjs to stay at an went with super walmarts parking is better we've had some great spots and greaT for our dogs to boot plus they have security and running a gen bothers no one
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #33

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I used to work for Flying J while in Wyoming and we had everything parked there you could imagine. We had no policy against RVs and just asked that everyone be courteous and not block car parking spaces or take up a bunch of parking slots. We were also long-haul truckers and it did make us agitated when we would see RVs in the truck lot...as a previous commenter said, we were working and needed to take our 10 hr. break. You also hated to see rest areas all clogged up by RVs as an RVer can park elsewhere whereas big rigs are limited as to where we could park. We now live in our RV full time and try to be mindful of the truckers...and now we get irked when a truck will pull up right beside us at a Walmart and it is usually a TCU (reefer) and BOY HOWDY are they noisy. A few inconsiderate drivers in all vehicles ruin it for everyone. The Golden Rule applies in this arena of life too
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Well said varakins3! We do P/FJ exclusively while between our long stays. We have yet to stay in the RV area, I guess since they are few and far between where we travel. We always park in the very back and only pick those with 200+ parking spots. We always talk to the truckers and explain they always take precedence over us on the road or in a truck stop.

They REALLY appreciate this and tell us horror stories about their encounters with some RVers. We always try to do our best to let them know all RVers are not the same and a lot of us know they are out there working for a living. In the last 7 years, we have never had any kind of bad experience in a truck stop.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Well said varakins3! We do P/FJ exclusively while between our long stays. We have yet to stay in the RV area, I guess since they are few and far between where we travel. We always park in the very back and only pick those with 200+ parking spots. We always talk to the truckers and explain they always take precedence over us on the road or in a truck stop.

They REALLY appreciate this and tell us horror stories about their encounters with some RVers. We always try to do our best to let them know all RVers are not the same and a lot of us know they are out there working for a living. In the last 7 years, we have never had any kind of bad experience in a truck stop.
I always talk to truck driver and never had any problems. That is their job just like I & every one else has jobs. However, there are a few jerks in all walks of life. Some of it I just check off as stupidity. I have pulled into huge empty parking lots & the next morning the lot is still empty but an RVer parked so close I can hardly open my door. WHY? I just leave as quickly as possible.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Truck stops
Horns
PAs
Engines
Gennys
Fumes
Sleep?
Not possible!
Apparently you never stayed in the RV section of a truck stop. We stayed in a few of them and they're very quiet. There was no noise from a PA system (we could barely hear it) and I don't recall any gens running but it was in the winter and about 55 F. All the RVs were spread out so even if someone had a gen running it probably wouldn't have bothered anyone. All the noise was where the truckers park on the other side of the bldg. And the food served in the restaurant there was excellent and affordable.

Rest stops are another story. They are noisier as vehicles keep coming and going all night long, unlike the RV area of the truck stops. We would only choose a Rest Stop if nothing at all was available.

Quote:
Campground
Full hookups
Campfire
S'mores
Children playing
Folks visiting
A fine meal
Pleasant cordials
Peace
Quiet
AHHHHH
Another person who confuses CAMPING with TRAVELING.
Those of us passing through don't need full hookups so why pay for them? Not everyone is into campfires after being on the road all day nor do they want to smell other people's smoke or listen to
someone's children screaming and running wild.
Many RVers couldn't care less about campfires.
Yapping dogs barking are not uncommon in CGs.
Music playing that's not your favorite. Drunks harmonizing. Ball games blaring on TVs. Very irritating as are the whap whap sounds of those beag-bag/corn hole games.
Bright lights in the next campsite when your eyes are tired from being on the road for hours.
Who sells fine meals at the CGs? You'd have to look for a restaurant.
Peace and quiet? Where? Close to the Interstates and main roads? That hasn't been our experience in most places.

And for the above you pay $25 and up just to TRY and get some sleep.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierambler View Post
Things went fine, found a Corps of Engineer park about 25 miles from the Flying J I had intended to stay in, for $10.00 a night, had elect and water. beautiful campground on Wright-Patman Lake just south of Texarkana, Tx. just off Hwy. 59, we stayed at Rocky Point camp ground. If you are in the area and need to stop a day or so, its a beautiful park on the Lake. Cost is $20.00 a night unless you have a golden age passport or the new version, then its $10.00 a night
Few of us, road weary and ready to stop for the night want to start looking for a COE and drive 50 miles out of our way to get there and back.... just to eat, rest up and sleep.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

Few of us, road weary and ready to stop for the night want to start looking for a COE and drive 50 miles out of our way to get there and back.... just to eat, rest up and sleep.
We have different ways of traveling.
I understand "vacation mode". Did that. But without truck stops et al even then. Back then, it was ALL about the destination, and often it was not enjoyed as well as it could have been, as we were depleted by the time we arrived.

Now, nothing is "out of the way". In fact, we search for the unique and wonderful things that most will never see. Fewer freeways, more old and slow highways.

For us, the Journey is our Destination! Always relaxed, never in a hurry, always rested, never weary, and often wondering where we will NOT hurry to next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2441901580.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	44657
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2390635684.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	44654   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1946902055.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	44655  

Name:	image-2827505139.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	44656  

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We have different ways of traveling.
I understand "vacation mode". Did that. But without truck stops et al even then. Back then, it was ALL about the destination, and often it was not enjoyed as well as it could have been, as we were depleted by the time we arrived.

Now, nothing is "out of the way". In fact, we search for the unique and wonderful things that most will never see. Fewer freeways, more old and slow highways.

For us, the Journey is our Destination! Always relaxed, never in a hurry, always rested, never weary, and often wondering where we will NOT hurry to next.

Attachment 44657
Well said Dave!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It really depends on when we leave in the fall as to where we stay overnight. We go for six months, four of them at the same CG so if we leave a little early it is to find some places to explore on the way. If the weather stays nice until late Oct. and we have not planned any stops on the way then FJs or whatever quick stop then go is what we do. If it starts getting crappy at home then we begin looking for stops and the trip that used to take three days might take three weeks. No hurry no worry
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #41

In our case it's usually weather related. If the weather is awful and not likely to get better we can use a truck stop and move on the following morning.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #42

IMHO the big difference is the trip and the people taking it.

In our case the m/h is a rolling efficiency motel room, and just like a motel, I don't mind if its just off the highway or doesn't have a nice view or a pool. But it does have our own bedding and food.

We stop for dinner, get back on the road for a few hours then stop for the night. I don't judge motels by their surroundings, and I don't judge my m/h that way either.