Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two problems. Clearly you are concerned with the noise, This will NOT be a problem in a Flying J as they are rather noisy to begin with.

My problem is with the exhaust.

Many motor homes it is not recommended you run the generator overnight because there is a real danger you won't wake up in the morning due to carbon monoxide poisioning. Likewise if I am parked beside you on the generator side of your RV I may well suffer the same fate.

There is, however, a cure.. GEN-TURI Generator Exhaust extension by Camco.. Which you can get for around a C-note at most Campign world and many other RV places. Or you can build your own (many have) (I do not work for any company named in this post, or anyone else for that matter, nor do I sell these products). This product takes those exhaust fumes full of Carbon Monoxide and puts them up above the roof, where they keep on going up up and away. Thus ensuring you have a comfortable night, and wake up refreshed in the morning.

I have done a couple of 25 hour Generator runs, and both times I woke up refreshed in the morning. That is with the Gen-Turi I have.. Without it. takes two hours to set off my CO alarm.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are two problems. Clearly you are concerned with the noise, This will NOT be a problem in a Flying J as they are rather noisy to begin with.

My problem is with the exhaust.

Many motor homes it is not recommended you run the generator overnight because there is a real danger you won't wake up in the morning due to carbon monoxide poisioning. Likewise if I am parked beside you on the generator side of your RV I may well suffer the same fate.

There is, however, a cure.. GEN-TURI Generator Exhaust extension by Camco.. Which you can get for around a C-note at most Campign world and many other RV places. Or you can build your own (many have) (I do not work for any company named in this post, or anyone else for that matter, nor do I sell these products). This product takes those exhaust fumes full of Carbon Monoxide and puts them up above the roof, where they keep on going up up and away. Thus ensuring you have a comfortable night, and wake up refreshed in the morning.

I have done a couple of 25 hour Generator runs, and both times I woke up refreshed in the morning. That is with the Gen-Turi I have.. Without it. takes two hours to set off my CO alarm.
Most of the newer MHs have their exhaust piped out to the side away from the MH.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

Most of the newer MHs have their exhaust piped out to the side away from the MH.
Unless you're in the next m/h over and the 'newer' m/h next door has its genset exhaust pointed at you.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #46

I always try to find a Cracker Barrel with RV /bus parking. quiet easy on and off of the hwy and always a great breakfast in the morning.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #47

For what you pay for gas why wouldn,t you go to a Camp Ground,
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
I know this has been said before at least a time or two. It is really hard to beat the convenience of (insert your favorite parking lot chain) for proximity to the freeway as well as being able to roll in, park, and be in bed in a matter of minutes. Then, wake up and go without disturbing paying guests. Also, some folks stop at (insert parking lot blah, blah) regularly so if you're there already, that's one less stop.

I use both parking lots and campgrounds while enroute and see advantages and disadvantages to both. YMMV.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
I've never been to a c/g where they served hot food, nor one where nobody was upset when I rolled in at midnight and Deputy Dog barked at critter while out for a squirt before bed.

At Cracker Barrel nobody cares much less complains.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
It's the same ol' thing again. Some RVers think just because they travel a certain way, everyone should do the same. Doesn't matter that they may be full timers or have a month and and go where the wind takes them. Many have time contrains or are going from A to B and couldn't care less what's between.

We're the latter. We escape Mi in Nov and on a mission to get to our regular winter home in Fl. I don't want the hassle of finding a CG and dealing with all of that at night and in the morning. We did that the first year and never again!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It's the same ol' thing again. Some RVers think just because they travel a certain way, everyone should do the same. Doesn't matter that they may be full timers or have a month and and go where the wind takes them. Many have time contrains or are going from A to B and couldn't care less what's between.

We're the latter. We escape Mi in Nov and on a mission to get to our regular winter home in Fl. I don't want the hassle of finding a CG and dealing with all of that at night and in the morning. We did that the first year and never again!
Same with us, sort of. We escape the NY with the same thing in mind. Get to a warm place. When we were still working it was drive until you can't stand it, sleep anyplace you can park and get going in the morning to do it again. After retiring the first part of the trip is long to get as far away from cold as possible then slow it down. It is still a FJ, Wally World or whatever unless we have a planned and reserved CG though. Used to plan those stops on the way to sunny Florida but last couple of years have done it on the way home. You know on the way there it will be warm but on the way back we can dilly dally until the weather looks better home.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
There you go! We know what's between where we live and where we're going in FL. We really don't care to spend a day or two somewhere in between. Not that we haven't done just that on really long trips.

Quote:
Same here. Then we learned about "overnighting" in lots and that was great news. No more looking for a CGs in the dark, far from the Interstates when we're ready to settle for the night.... with no fresh food to buy for dinner....
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #53

Heading to Disney one time drove all night pulled in to a flyingJ it was so noisy it would wake the dead. I said the heck with this and kept driving. So I don't think anyone could here a genny running.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #54

I have been following this thread and have finally come to the realization that many of the "campground only" crowd are both have more disposable income than I have (thanks to the administration's abrogation of all prior bankruptcy code), or have no capability to do the research and plan any farther that what Woodall's tells you.

At a campground one will pay 30~40$us for a night's sleep. For that you also may get:
* Electric power - don't need - we ran the main engine all day and the house bank is as charged as it can be.
* Potable water - don't need - we can be frugal and make the tank last 4~5 days even with showers as required, DW likes longer as she has long hair.
* Sewer dump - don't need - there again we are good for 4~5 days.
* A Pool - might be nice - but on traveling days the pool is usually closed by the time we shut down and if we get there when it is open, it is usually full of screaming kids.
* Slow WiFi - usually no value - I can use the tether to my 4G phone and get faster access at very low cost. If you have not noticed, 4G has pretty good coverage these day.
* Cable TV - We don't even have a TV in the coach and we don't watch much at home.

As I had the job description of "navigator" much of my waterside life, I do a lot of research and planning. I usually know where we will hold up for the night and have located in this order:
Cabela's - Most have RV parking areas, free dump and potable.
Cracker Barrel - usually the RV parking that is filled with little 4 wheels 2 deep.
Walmart - Prefer Supers with Murphy fuel on site. - often noisy -
Highway rest areas - they are a toss up with Walmart for noise but are usually conveniently located (except in KY where they plowed them in so we try not to stop in KY any more).
Pilot/FJ are about a last resort, even if they have an RV area, it is usually noise and overly lighted.

There are resources that will point you to all of these.
A coach day for us is usually about 8 or 10 roads/sights hours, (I take the attraction time - like museums - out of the road time. That gets us 4~600 miles in a day if we need it. But, we have seen a lot and covered a lot of ground and have more we want to before the powers that be shut us down.

We do have RV acquaintances that were amazed by the ground we cove and the places we go. It turned out the they had a 2-2-2 rule. They drive at most 200 miles, stop by 2 in the afternoon and stay 2 days. That is nice, If the campgrounds are that pleasant, why not pick one and stay the week? (I guess that wouldn't leave much to write home about.

Matt
Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are with the group that stops at a RV park while traveling. We belong to PP and normal fees overnite are 12 dollars and up. We like to get on the road around 8am and off around 3pm. We have found things are much quieter and much easier to relax and wind down. For me after 6 or 7 hrs I am ready to get off the road.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #56

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I have to admit that I am always amazed by the hostility threads like this bring out in people. Why should I care if anyone thinks our travel preferences are for them? We enjoy the way we conduct our full-timing and, honestly, couldn't care less if anyone wanted to copy us or considered us totally stupid.

We're retired full-timers and for us the fun is learning about this great country and seeing things along the way. Sure we have a winter "roost" to get to, but when we arrive there isn't written in stone.

We aren't members of the 2-2-2 club, but neither are we part of the 700 mile per day crowd. We typically drive ~6-7 hours and cover 350-400 miles per day. We tend to travel for a couple of days to get somewhere and then stay for a few days seeing the sights.

We don't stay in parking lots, just because we don't consider it pleasant. We enjoy cooking and don't eat out often so we figure that the ~$35 we spend for a night at a CG is the same as others might spend on a dinner out that we cooked instead. But we don't look down on those who prefer to stay at Walmart or similar places.

IMHO when threads like this become "my way of RVing is better than yours" we lose the spirit of cooperation on which this forum is based. Each person's approach to life is different and we all learn by sharing experiences, not by trying to convert people to our way of life. JMO

docj is offline   Reply With Quote