Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #57

Everyone has their own way to travel and overnight. Each to their own is how it should be.

I chose the way that is not harsh, coarse, stinky, noisy, stressful, or tiring.

YMMV

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #58

Well I try not to plan too much on where I've been, where I'm going, where I'm staying, or even where I am going to fuel up the next time. I usually wake up when I'm rested, sit and drink coffee, enjoying it to the last drop, then just start driving until I'm tired. I'm too old to worry about the economy, any mistakes I made, or things I woulda, coulda, shouda done yesterday or years gone by.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #59
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Well I try not to plan too much on where I've been, where I'm going, where I'm staying, or even where I am going to fuel up the next time. I usually wake up when I'm rested, sit and drink coffee, enjoying it to the last drop, then just start driving until I'm tired. I'm too old to worry about the economy, any mistakes I made, or things I woulda, coulda, shouda done yesterday or years gone by.
Boy does that sound extremely familiar except no coffee for me but my wife more than makes up for my share of it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #60

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
I would pay for a campgrounf before i would put that kind of wear and tear on my gen.
What do you use the generator for?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #61

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
At 2 dollars an hour, and a generator designed to run more than 10,000 hours, why not use it?
I agree 10000 is what you would get at 24/7 for a year with outages for routine maintenance.
Some people feel they have to save for the next owner. Beats me why!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
Following the posts is really funny. People don't use the generator because they want to increase trade in value and then some say don't buy with low miles and low generator hours. Drive as .much as you want and use the generator, that's why you bought it.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
EVERY place has some noise, and if ya search, quiet too ....

I've stayed at a plethora of different places:

WalMarts
Flying J's
Truck Stops
Rest Areas
Public, private, and hidden, Campgrounds
Campground Resorts
State Park Camp Grounds
Friends properties
MY DRIVEWAY

and at ALL these places there were some degrees of noise, and if we searched well enough or used clever ideas, we found our own peace and quiet.
We don't care WHERE we stay, as long as we meet friendly people, keep our costs down, full pantry & fridge with our grill for outside or oven/microwave for inside and the coffee pot works, we're good. Heat ? Air Conditioning ? We run Gen's just long enough to do the job and shut it down.
Noise ? If we couldn't find a quiet enough spot. We used "white noise" (tv. radio, noise machine....etc)

We aren't too picky about the adventure. We just love the ride !
Old 11-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #64

Convenience trumps cost every time for me.

Our current RV travel plan is simply to have no plan. (Or at least no fixed plan) We stop wherever and whenever we want. This is what RVing is for us now. Back in the day, when we had kids along, often we would be heading for a destination and often were constrained by time and resources, neither is a concern for us now and the journey is often the destination. It would be unusual for us to travel more than 350 mi per day. We have stayed in soooo many places such as FJ, WM, gravel pits, driveways, roadside rest stops, graveyard/church parking lots etc. We have also stayed expensive and inexpensive CG's, cost is not really a factor for us, again, convenience trumps cost. If there was a campground next to a convenient FJ, I might choose the CG. Whatever is convienient.

If we need the Gen, we simply run it. What else is it for? I could care less about putting hours on the genny, miles on the RV or the price of fuel. Love spending the kids inheritance.

I also could care less about getting TV reception but I like to have Internet access. Most often I use our phones or other wifi hotspots we carry for that. We carry about 200 ebooks and audio books on our tablets and can get more as long as the internet is available.

I don't have much time for people who make disparging remarks about overnighting at WW, FJ etc. To some it is about cost, but not for all and certainly not for us.

Bottom line: Convenience trumps cost for us every time and if FJ fitts the bill at the time, so be it. Who cares, Just enjoy what you can while you are on the top side of the sod.

Well, I am stepping off the soapbox now - so endith the diatribe. Enjoy what ever floats your boat, but don't make waves for your neighbors,
Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #65

We stay at truck stops even in the winter and never use our generator except in the morning to make coffee. Of coarse DW has to use hair dryer.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko
I would pay for a campgrounf before i would put that kind of wear and tear on my gen.

Think of the generator in reverse. The more you use it the less wear and tear you are going to have. In other words ,,, use it or lose it;;
Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
We found Cracker Barrel good if others are parked but too often we were the only RV parked over nite, not all that restful

FJ our first choice (or similar)
Walmart

If going from point A - B campgrounds are a PIA

call, sign in find the spot it's like 20 minutes wasted then stop for fuel in the morning.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
We found Cracker Barrel good if others are parked but too often we were the only RV parked over nite, not all that restful

FJ our first choice (or similar)
Walmart

If going from point A - B campgrounds are a PIA

call, sign in find the spot it's like 20 minutes wasted then stop for fuel in the morning.
Do you think if there were 20 other RVs parked there if some crazy attacked they would come to your rescue? That is an interesting conclusion. However, I think false sense of security. Good example was 911 in NYK. Only a very few of the thousands ran back to save people other than police and fire. Most people run from danger. When I pull off the road to sleep it is amazing how many RVs are parked very close in the morning.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #69

Quote:
Do you think if there were 20 other RVs parked there if some crazy attacked they would come to your rescue? That is an interesting conclusion. However, I think false sense of security. Good example was 911 in NYK. Only a very few of the thousands ran back to save people other than police and fire. Most people run from danger. When I pull off the road to sleep it is amazing how many RVs are parked very close in the morning.
I think they were saying if they are the only RV, it looks like a target more that multiples. Felons don't want to get caught, more RVs, more witnesses. I agree with the comment on other's coming to your aid, BTW. That is only part of the equation.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #70

Quote:
well i try not to plan too much on where i've been, where i'm going, where i'm staying, or even where i am going to fuel up the next time. I usually wake up when i'm rested, sit and drink coffee, enjoying it to the last drop, then just start driving until i'm tired. I'm too old to worry about the economy, any mistakes i made, or things i woulda, coulda, shouda done yesterday or years gone by.
amen brother