Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #71

Safety why would anyone think a CG is any safer than a FJ or WM? I stay at all of the above and there are more security cameras at both WM and FJ than I see at any CG in fact in most cases the camp ground is relying on police while we all sleep.

I use overnight stops along the way the make my life simpler that's why I got into RV'ing in the first place
John

johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

I think they were saying if they are the only RV, it looks like a target more that multiples. Felons don't want to get caught, more RVs, more witnesses. I agree with the comment on other's coming to your aid, BTW. That is only part of the equation.
I guess you have to stay within your own comfort zone.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
Safety why would anyone think a CG is any safer than a FJ or WM? I stay at all of the above and there are more security cameras at both WM and FJ than I see at any CG in fact in most cases the camp ground is relying on police while we all sleep. I use overnight stops along the way the make my life simpler that's why I got into RV'ing in the first place John
Security cams. Are they monitored 24x7? Will they call the cops? All of which is too late.
Cams record the crime, cops investigate after the crime.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Security cams. Are they monitored 24x7? Will they call the cops? All of which is too late.
Cams record the crime, cops investigate after the crime.
No worry if I am camped next to you. I will help. Just don't advertise I am retired LEO. We kicked *** & took names later in LA. I wouldn't count on security cameras until days later during the crime investigation. JMHO
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
No worry if I am camped next to you. I will help. Just don't advertise I am retired LEO. We kicked *** & took names later in LA. I wouldn't count on security cameras until days later during the crime investigation. JMHO
Thanks for your public service.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Well said varakins3! We do P/FJ exclusively while between our long stays. We have yet to stay in the RV area, I guess since they are few and far between where we travel. We always park in the very back and only pick those with 200+ parking spots. We always talk to the truckers and explain they always take precedence over us on the road or in a truck stop.

They REALLY appreciate this and tell us horror stories about their encounters with some RVers. We always try to do our best to let them know all RVers are not the same and a lot of us know they are out there working for a living. In the last 7 years, we have never had any kind of bad experience in a truck stop.
Literally walked thru the truck parking lot this AM of a Pilot. Right smack in the middle of all of the 18 wheelers was an Entegra Anthem with a toad on a trailer behind and a jeep parked in front of the RV (probably being driven by DW). Had teh night time blinds down on the front window and they wre snoozin'.Anyway, I didn't see any 'special RV area", they were right up there "amongst them."

As regards the generators......theirs didn't seem to be on (probably around 55* at the time) but numerous 18 wheelers around them had their engines running while the driver's slept.

Just an observation today.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #77

Damon Owners Club
We used Flying J's for stop offs on our north and south bound legs from Florida to Tennessee last month.

The first night in Tifton, GA was just fine. Coming home we stopped in Cordelle and it was really loud because of the train that ran next door.

We'd do it again!

Photo is us parked among the big rigs with our tiad, which I had already unhooked so we could back out if our spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1331027014.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	50508  
patsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Convenience trumps cost every time for me.

Our current RV travel plan is simply to have no plan. (Or at least no fixed plan) We stop wherever and whenever we want. This is what RVing is for us now. Back in the day, when we had kids along, often we would be heading for a destination and often were constrained by time and resources, neither is a concern for us now and the journey is often the destination. It would be unusual for us to travel more than 350 mi per day. We have stayed in soooo many places such as FJ, WM, gravel pits, driveways, roadside rest stops, graveyard/church parking lots etc. We have also stayed expensive and inexpensive CG's, cost is not really a factor for us, again, convenience trumps cost. If there was a campground next to a convenient FJ, I might choose the CG. Whatever is convienient.

If we need the Gen, we simply run it. What else is it for? I could care less about putting hours on the genny, miles on the RV or the price of fuel. Love spending the kids inheritance.

I also could care less about getting TV reception but I like to have Internet access. Most often I use our phones or other wifi hotspots we carry for that. We carry about 200 ebooks and audio books on our tablets and can get more as long as the internet is available.

I don't have much time for people who make disparging remarks about overnighting at WW, FJ etc. To some it is about cost, but not for all and certainly not for us.

Bottom line: Convenience trumps cost for us every time and if FJ fitts the bill at the time, so be it. Who cares, Just enjoy what you can while you are on the top side of the sod.

Well, I am stepping off the soapbox now - so endith the diatribe. Enjoy what ever floats your boat, but don't make waves for your neighbors,
THAT is wonderful!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #79

PEMEX stat

The first time we RV'ed down to Yucatan 3 years ago, we found that most US and Canadian RVers (not very many of either) would spend the nights at PEMEX all-night trucker gas stations. A favorite one was the one at the cut-off to Palenque. This seemed a bit dangerous to us but we wound up having to do this since there are no RV parks between Puebla and Palenque except for Rancho Hermanos Grahm (which we have enjoyed) but no one is around to open gate for the mile drive back after dark. So we started using them and they are quite safe. The truckers are friendly, tough and legally armed - and they want no one around their rigs they don't know (as american truckers are as well) since they are responsible for pilferage. Really felt safe parked between two doble-remobles (double semi-rigs). the truckers told us how much they liked having Norte Americanos visiting their beautiful country. If they pulled in next to us, they would inquire if we minded "Con permiso?"

A couple from Quebec asked to go back with us to US (their cousin who spoke Spanish and had the maps and GPS had crunched his RV near Playa de Carmen and it takes a while to get parts down for some RVs). Their Newmar broke down in the town of Orizaba and we spent a week there at a Pemex lot. The station workers were happy to have us there (we gave them 50 pesoss as honorium). There was a National park within 500 meters and the relatives of a friend lived in town. There are certified dealers for most US trucks (Cummings/Allison) etc since it is half way between Vera Cruz and Puebla/mexico City. They needed the fuel pump for their 9.7 l diesel repaired - and we had a great six days or so in town.
Reed and Elaine Cundiff