RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 80
Parallel Solar Chargers?

Can I parallel two Victron MPPT SmartSolar 150/50 chargers? I have 900 watts of solar on the roof. I have 6 AWG copper cables that feed down to a single Victron 150/50 charger to charge my 510 Amp Hr AGM batteries. Theoretically, 900 watts could provide 75 amps @ 12 volts to the battery. Anything over 50 would be lost due to maxing out the charge controller. I have an extra 150/50 charger that I can use. I will not run any additional cables from the roof. Would it be potentially beneficial to connect the pair of cables to both charge controllers and have both charge the batteries? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that before. Thoughts?
__________________

LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buxton, North Dakota
Posts: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePursuits View Post
Can I parallel two Victron MPPT SmartSolar 150/50 chargers? I have 900 watts of solar on the roof. I have 6 AWG copper cables that feed down to a single Victron 150/50 charger to charge my 510 Amp Hr AGM batteries. Theoretically, 900 watts could provide 75 amps @ 12 volts to the battery. Anything over 50 would be lost due to maxing out the charge controller. I have an extra 150/50 charger that I can use. I will not run any additional cables from the roof. Would it be potentially beneficial to connect the pair of cables to both charge controllers and have both charge the batteries? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that before. Thoughts?
I doubt that you can do that. Why don't you contact Victron and ask.
__________________

__________________
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 605 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53V10 Handicap Equipped
1999 Jeep Cherokee, 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade and 2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,924
You can find lots of RV Solar research reading in the Going Green section:
Going Green - iRV2 Forums

You can provably add a second charge controller, but I doubt you will see any additional charging. If you really want it to work properly, you will need to rewire your system to isolate half the panels to each controller. This may not be as difficult as it seams, you could just route one new positive cable and share the 6 gauge ground.

How long has this system been operational?
What is the peak charging amps you've seen so far?
__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
You can find lots of RV Solar research reading in the Going Green section:
Going Green - iRV2 Forums

You can provably add a second charge controller, but I doubt you will see any additional charging. If you really want it to work properly, you will need to rewire your system to isolate half the panels to each controller. This may not be as difficult as it seams, you could just route one new positive cable and share the 6 gauge ground.

How long has this system been operational?
What is the peak charging amps you've seen so far?
+1. Paralleling the inputs of the controllers is a bad idea. Splitting the panels and paralleling the outputs of the controllers is the correct way to do it.
__________________
2014 Southwind 32VS
2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 340
I have been running parallel chargers your a couple of years. 400 watts on the roof plus a 120 portable. Roof is a Gopower 30 amp, the portable is a 20 amp. Portable puts out about 5 amps, get 16 amps from the roof. I rotate the portable panels for best sunlight.
__________________
Chuck
Just West Of The Pecos
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 80
I did a little more research about running multiple charge controllers on the same set of panels. Victron has something called Smart Networking where the two controllers will talk to my bmv-712 battery monitor and work together. I'm going to look more into this. Thanks for the replied thus far and sorry for not posting this in the "Green" forum.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePursuits View Post
I did a little more research about running multiple charge controllers on the same set of panels. Victron has something called Smart Networking where the two controllers will talk to my bmv-712 battery monitor and work together. I'm going to look more into this. Thanks for the replied thus far and sorry for not posting this in the "Green" forum.
I forgot about that option. Not sure if there's any additional hardware needed or how cost effective it would be vs just running another set of cables which is pretty cheap to do. Midnite has a similar configuration for the Kid controller but I think it's all software so nothing needed to buy.
__________________
2014 Southwind 32VS
2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:57 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Southwest USA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePursuits View Post
I did a little more research about running multiple charge controllers on the same set of panels. Victron has something called Smart Networking where the two controllers will talk to my bmv-712 battery monitor and work together. I'm going to look more into this. Thanks for the replied thus far and sorry for not posting this in the "Green" forum.
That's the correct way to do it. I'm a Victron user on all the projects that I engineer.
__________________

OffGridCirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charger, solar



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dashboard Solar Chargers? ricknriver Gear and Product Discussions 13 08-11-2013 01:54 PM
Series/Parallel or Parallel/Series rpasetto Monaco Owner's Forum 45 09-28-2011 01:52 AM
solar chargers hollhoek Vintage RV's 5 04-01-2007 03:59 PM
What's going on with Solar Battery Chargers? Tagalong iRV2.com General Discussion 2 11-03-2005 02:57 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×