Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Red face Parking city ordinances

For Walmarts, etc. in cities that have ordinances banning overnight parking, do the police give tickets? Or just chase you away? Do the police have authority on private parking lots the same as on street parking? Even if the property owner does not complain?

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes the police have jurisdiction on the parking lots. Usually they tell you to move NOW, if you don't than they can ticket you.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

City ordinance so YES police have jurisdiction and can ticket for violation of city ordinances.

BUT they usually wait until graveyard shift around 1:30 am to bang on RV door and tell you MOVE.
Gets them in the mood to deal with drunks leaving bars at 2am
Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 AM   #4

Depends where you are. Where I am we do not have that authority on private property unless the owner or person in charge has asked us to.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #5

Police may or may not have jurisdiction. Depends on local ordinance and state law. I was given a ticket one time in a mall parking lot, turns out they DID NOT have jurisdiction in that particular case and the ticket was tossed. I would make the assumption that if the property is posted that they do have jurisdiction and can issue citations at will. In most cases they will ask people to move along.

Aaron
Old 03-09-2016, 04:37 AM   #6

And there are places where they just stop by and put a convenient envelope to pay your fine under your wiper.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
City ordinance so YES police have jurisdiction and can ticket for violation of city ordinances.

BUT they usually wait until graveyard shift around 1:30 am to bang on RV door and tell you MOVE.
Gets them in the mood to deal with drunks leaving bars at 2am

Maybe they just know of your attitude towards LEO's and like to show you how much they appreciate it.

There's two Wally Worlds I stop at routinely that are both posted no overnighting by Municipal ordinance. In both cases the local LEO and privately security pointed out to me what area of the parking lot I could stay in and that the ordinance was merely a tool to ALLOW them to tell someone to move along.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

BUT they usually wait until graveyard shift around 1:30 am ...
Not necessarily true. Some of those LEOs could easily be from swing shift and working a little overtime.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
In some cases the manager on duty at Walmart will tell you if the ordinance is being enforced in their lot. This was the case at a Walmart in Texas I overnighted at. They told me that LEO "could" ask me to leave due to city ordinance but that they normally do not. Had no hassles there.

Generally the ordinance's purpose is to give the LEO a way to prevent people from living long term in their cars and pickup trucks in their city, not to prevent RV and Semi overnight parking.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, they can make you as miserable as they want.

We have stayed in 2 walmart parking lots , out of about 450 nights on the road. That was only because we had no other option-and-we went inside to get approval from the manager-he will tell you if it is O.K. And, we shop at walmart while traveling, just because they are so nice about letting folks stay, even though we rarely go there when we are home.

We have had the best luck with State, County, municipal, National parks- We only had to pass on 1 because of the other inhabitants.

The worst have been commercial parks that overcharge & undersupply
Old 03-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Just remember what LEOs typically have to deal with. Be polite and no disagreement. Ask if there is another place you can park. Each situation and LEO is different though. I've always been polite and had pleasant discussions and then situations where politeness didn't matter and I needed to do what was asked quickly without any discussion what so ever.
The short ones worry me the most. LOL!
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Yes, they can make you as miserable as they want. We have had the best luck with State, County, municipal, National parks- We only had to pass on 1 because of the other inhabitants.

Are you saying that those government parks allow you to stay overnight in their parking lots? Do they charge parking fees?

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
No- I did not mean to say that....but.....I have done that at Yellowstone-we got there late, park closed, we stayed there until the gate opened the next day.

I would, however, not hesitate to stay in the parking lot , or near a bath house/common area-after hours-I have been told to do so at a COE campground that had a strict "locked Gate at10pm" policy

state/federal/municipal campgrounds belong to us. I know that they cannot advertise "free" parking, because they would be overrun by mooches-but-if you look at the National Forest lists-lots of them have "stay for free" boondocks sites-most with little or no amenities.

Most of those "don't park here" towns have gotten that way because of abuse or overuse on the part of the travelers, or objections from locals
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #14

IMO anyone who attempts to overnight in a parking lot where "Overnight Parking Prohibited" signs are posted deserves to get whatever they get.
Mel
'96 Safari