Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Pay to Boondock #2?

Ok, let me see if I can ask the same question in a way to not break the rules.

Question: I am looking for information or even a name for a type of boondocking described below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreco View Post
I actually pay $75 a night to park with no hook ups.......its called location, location, location.....

If you have the right location.....they will come....
That is what I was thinking.

I would like to come up with a name (if one doesn't exist), to describe a type of boondocking that is different from what most people think of when thinking boondocking.

These are some thoughts.
It's not traveling in the Western US, where opportunities are abundant to get away and stay out of campgrounds.
It's not Wallydocking, Rest Areas and Truck stops, which are what I would consider travel stops vs destination stops.
It's may or may not be a site listed in Free Campsites , Free Camping with Harvest Hosts at Wineries, Farms and Orchards , Boondockers Welcome | Be My Guest RV Parking.

It should be considered a destination site, somewhere to stay for several days, secure in the knowledge that you are welcome and safe, but you are not in a campground. And yes, you may be asked to pay as much or more than a regular campground, depending on how nice it was. I also think that having enough solar on the roof, so that on sunny days there is no need to run the genny.

So if someone has a name for RVing East of the Mississippi, away from the crowds (out in a field, with a stream or river or on a farm near a tourist attraction, etc.). using solar on sunny days, optionally charging a fee. I'd like to hear it.

CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
Ok, let me see if I can ask the same question in a way to not break the rules.

Question: I am looking for information or even a name for a type of boondocking described below.

That is what I was thinking.

I would like to come up with a name (if one doesn't exist), to describe a type of boondocking that is different from what most people think of when thinking boondocking.

These are some thoughts.
It's not traveling in the Western US, where opportunities are abundant to get away and stay out of campgrounds.
It's not Wallydocking, Rest Areas and Truck stops, which are what I would consider travel stops vs destination stops.
It's may or may not be a site listed in Free Campsites , Free Camping with Harvest Hosts at Wineries, Farms and Orchards , Boondockers Welcome | Be My Guest RV Parking.

It should be considered a destination site, somewhere to stay for several days, secure in the knowledge that you are welcome and safe, but you are not in a campground. And yes, you may be asked to pay as much or more than a regular campground, depending on how nice it was. I also think that having enough solar on the roof, so that on sunny days there is no need to run the genny.

So if someone has a name for RVing East of the Mississippi, away from the crowds (out in a field, with a stream or river or on a farm near a tourist attraction, etc.). using solar on sunny days, optionally charging a fee. I'd like to hear it.
Looniedocking! As in it's pretty loonie to pay $75 a night for what anywhere else would be free.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Looniedocking! As in it's pretty loonie to pay $75 a night for what anywhere else would be free.
Ha, good one.

In my mind there is a difference between staying someplace free for the night and staying someplace interesting for a couple of days, especially if you are in a 40' RV. The campgrounds around here are crowded in the summer and almost all border the Interstate. What I'm talking about is an empty field with water on both sides, kayaking, biking from the property a beach with swimming, no lights from the city and no noise. Why would the owner let me stay there for free.

I'm just looking for a place on the web, where I could find like minded people who enjoy such things. It sounds like it doesn't exist, nor does that kind of experience have a name.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
Ha, good one.

In my mind there is a difference between staying someplace free for the night and staying someplace interesting for a couple of days, especially if you are in a 40' RV. The campgrounds around here are crowded in the summer and almost all border the Interstate. What I'm talking about is an empty field with water on both sides, kayaking, biking from the property a beach with swimming, no lights from the city and no noise. Why would the owner let me stay there for free.

I'm just looking for a place on the web, where I could find like minded people who enjoy such things. It sounds like it doesn't exist, nor does that kind of experience have a name.
i like boondockers welcome.

Membership Products | Boondockers Welcome!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote