Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Pike National Forest CO

Anyone ever boondocked here? We are newbies at it and heading to Colorado Atv dream ranch to ride for a dews days them head back east to Indiana. On way back wanted to try some boondocking in national forest land. Thinking of somewhere in like national forest area. How do I know where to go? What's allowed? Anyone been?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know nothing of where you ask, but you should call the office for the forest you seek answers for.

If you can go to the office, ask for a Motor Vehicle Use Map, and ask how to use ti to find places to camp away from campgrounds. The MVUMs sometimes show some great places to boondock that can feel very remote.

Also look at allstays.com, some very good info there, too.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

Ok thanks. I'll look into getting a map. I did call the office and ranger station numbers and I talked to like a 70 yr okd woman who was very nice but literally couldn't answer any of the basic questions I had
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You need a ranger, not a volunteer.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

Yeah. Tried calling again. "No Rangers available" everytime I call. What the hell they even got phone numbers for. Save the money and shut em down.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #6

Dispersed camping in national forest is allowed unless otherwise posted. There are some rules and they can vary from forest to forest and from time of year to time of year. there can even be different regs within the same forest if large enough. Such as fire bans, It will take a call to the local ranger to find out what if any special regulations exist
the address below is for Fishlake NF but the dispersed camping portion is the same in all National Forests with the exception of any special regulations that are in effect in a specific forest which would require a call or a visit to an office.

Fishlake National Forest - Recreation

As far as locations bust out a map find some likely spots then perhaps pull up google maps and use sat view and check it out. Pike NF sees fairly heavy use due to its proximity to the Denver and Colorado Springs greater metro areas but there are definitely spots to go
Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 AM   #7

Ok well maybe I should find a diff spot then lol thanks for all that info. Any places you would recommend ?
Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram2724 View Post
Save the money and shut em down.
That's a very rash statement, as I would hope they are out actually doing Ranger Work. The reason I suggested a ranger is that they are actually out working in the places you are likely asking about. Which if there aren't enough of them to be able to answer a phone, then you want them out in the woods working, I hope.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

I'm not talking about the Rangers. Your misunderstanding me. I was simply making a joke about shutting the phones down. All the websites say call call call for info. But they aren't there to give it. I am glad they are out doing ranger work. It was a joke about the phones.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Aah, ok. Yes. Well, we live in a world of voicemail and email, all to easy to ignore.

Have you ever heard of Campgrounds for Camping RV Parks, State Parks USA ? Once you learn how to use it, there is a wealth of info on that site.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #11

Well not knowing where you're coming from, going to or like to do I can tell you place I have used before for fishing and hiking.

Find highway 285, find Kenosha pass it is just east of Jefferson. At the bottom of the hill on the west side of the pass is a road that goes south. If you go down that road a few miles you will go over a low pass not more than a short hill but it puts you in the next valley. You can look for places along the road you will see there are places where people have pulled off to camp. Some spots are better than others. If you stay on that road it will dead end at a campground (lost creek I think) 15+ miles down the road.

There are a couple spurs roads on the left. The first or second one will get you up high on the mountain and to some small stream fishing and camping spots and the Colorado trail but you will not be taking trailer up that road.

If you find a main road to the right it should say something about the road to Tarryall which is a reservoir with decent fishing.

If you go down the main road quite aways like towards the campground. you will be in a long narrow valley. There is a small stream running the length the valley. It is full of small brook trout. You have to want them as it can be muddy, willowy and buggy just depends. These are the kind of fish you almost need to sneak up on as once they know you are around they will quit biting. Hit one pool then move to the next you have several miles of it. Take the 1 flyrod or ultralight spinning setup
Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #12

This site works well

Pike National Forest Campgrounds

Reed and Elaine
Old 06-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #13

Try forest rd 347 east off HWY 67 between Deckers & Woodland Park. You can ride ATVs and motorcycles there. Bring your fly rod too. I used to camp there twice a month when I lived in Colorado Springs.

T4

t4halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national