Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Places to shower?

When boon docking and doing wash cloth cleanup or navy showers, the time comes that a good full hot shower and cleanup are desired.

What are the options?

Showers at a truck stop? Assume there are fees and protocols?

Other public shower locations? How to find them?

Thanks!

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
After a couple of days boon docking, we stop at a full hook up campground and take showers in our RV without worrying about water or grey tank capacities since we're hooked up. You could use the showers at a truck stop, there is a fee. You could also search for a youth hostel, they offer showers for a fee. While back packing in Yellowstone a couple of days, I confess I used the showers at one of the cabin areas. Not legal, but it felt good!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
It depends on where your at. A couple years ago was in Oakanogan Wa. and they had public showers at the city park. They were not very clean but was only couple Quarters.

A lot of RV parks will also have showers, and you can usually for a small fee use them.
Most of the Truck Stops like Love's and Pilot charge 10 to 12 per person.

Here in Quartzsite you have a few options. Main Street Laundry and Showers,7.00 ea. Use your shower in your RV and then pay a few bucks to empty.

A buddy of mine will go to a State Park and shower early AM before Staff arrives.
All kinds of choices. Happy New Year and Happy Camping.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In some of the more popular Boondock areas there are public showers, For eample Quartsite, the laundromat has them.

Truck stops, epically the "Truck Plaza" types (Flying-J, TA)

And even if you are not staying at a full service campground, Often they will rent you a shower site,, (Basically one hour site rental) have done that once.... Decided I will not be staying at that campground (did not like management attitude) so moved 3 miles up the road for the long stay but for the time, it was useful.

In the last case I rented a full hook up site for an hour,, they charged me like 10 bucks, Dump, Fill, Shower and shave, and back to the boondock site I was using that week.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

You could check how much Health clubs charge. We boat in Elizabeth City and the local health club charges $5.00 for a shower.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have found showers at truck stops, laundromats, campgrounds, YMCA, Community Swimming pools, GYM's & Health Clubs, State and National Parks to name a few.

Nothing comes free though unless you have a bar of soap and a nearby lake or stream.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

Bathing in lakes or streams is heavily frowned on by the outdoor community. You could get a lot of flack including some of the legal kind for getting caught doing it.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition to the places listed above, hiker hostels usually charge a small fee just to use their shower.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of good ideas above but I am curious about the length of your stay. My wife and I boondock for up to 6 days at a time and we each have showers every morning. Of course we kill the water while we suds up but we get a complete shower each day and never have any capacity issues and are as clean as we get at home after each.

Are you referring to just the need to soak and relax some achy muscles or are you running into capacity issues for fresh water and storage of grey?

Darren
Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Lots of good ideas above but I am curious about the length of your stay. My wife and I boondock for up to 6 days at a time and we each have showers every morning. Of course we kill the water while we suds up but we get a complete shower each day and never have any capacity issues and are as clean as we get at home after each.

Are you referring to just the need to soak and relax some achy muscles or are you running into capacity issues for fresh water and storage of grey?

Darren
Usually a want when we are out for a week or more. You describe what I refer to as a navy shower (suds up, killing the water, etc.). Grey tank capacity issue usually occurs before the end of a week. We do various conservation measures of course.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

Well you have to eventually dump the tanks anyway. I just find a reasonable CG with full hookups, dump everything and take a nice long shower(s). Then when we leave we are all set for another round of days where we don't need hookups if we don't find them in a place we like. I personally don't like to use public showers/restroom ect unless it's an emergency. And if you have to pay for a shower facility for two people you might as well pay a few more dollars and get everything fully recharged. Just my opinion, and it works for us.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Nothing comes free though unless you have a bar of soap and a nearby lake or stream.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I believe you can get back packing soap that is biodegradable and approved for lakes and streams.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I believe you can get back packing soap that is biodegradable and approved for lakes and streams.
Yes you can, but unfortunately I've never found any that floats like good old Ivory soap. The fact that it floats was one of the reasons it was so popular - you wouldn't lose it bathing in a river or lake.

It's property to float was an accident when a P & G worker left a batch churning so long air was whipped into it. P & G recognized that air introduction not only made it float but also they could make more bars from the same amount of soap.

For the hardcore boon dockers that want a way to get rid of black and grey liquid waste see if any Thermasan systems are still available. The system took your waste water and injected it into your hot exhaust to 'burn' the waste and expel it out the tailpipe.

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Thermasan-Flyer-2.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #14

Soap is only part of the problem. Body residue is a worse contaminant. That is why the accepted backpacking method is to get a pot or bucket of water out of the lake or stream then bath 100 yards or more back from the shore. The biodegradable low suds soap is then broken down by the time it leaches into the waterway. Ditto body waste.

FWIW figure any place one is likely to go in a MH one can also get a patrol car to. Most outdoor folks will have no sympathy over the ticket.

Tags
shower