Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

Plugging into another RV

I have lots of solar and am not an energy log at all. Therefore, I always have plenty of juice in my batteries.

A friend is parked next to me and they have to run their generator to keep their batteries charged.

My question is - What if they plugged into my rig ? How would that work ? Would that charge their batteries ??

heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #2

Plug what into where? Would not suggest plugging their mh into yours as it would put a real drain on your batteries and most likely overload a circuit. I would think the better of a bunch of bad options would be to run jumper cables between the battery banks.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage2006 View Post

My question is - What if they plugged into my rig ? How would that work ? Would that charge their batteries ??
Assuming you mean they'd just plug into your 120v system: yeah, it would "work" (assuming you have an inverter), but for how long is the question.

It would probably be more efficient to just share 12v power directly, though. Lots of power loss across the conversion from 12v-to-ac-to-12v again.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

Plugging into another RV

Quote:
I have lots of solar and am not an energy log at all. Therefore, I always have plenty of juice in my batteries.

A friend is parked next to me and they have to run their generator to keep their batteries charged.

Yes they could plug into your rig....they should turn off all big loads like AC, microwave, water heater, turn Fridge from "auto" to LP ONLY, their converter/charger should charge their batteries.

Like the previous posters mentioned, I agree it would be better to get something like this and connect your house batteries to their house batteries.....that way your solar controller would charge both sets with minimum losses. I picked a smaller gauge wire to keep costs and weight down....the charge current flowing normally will be way below what 6 gauge wire can handle. There will be resistance and so your friends batteries will probably only charge to 90% but still better than what happens with only a couple hours of generator usage anyway.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408292312.431606.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	71030
Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Assuming you have an inverter powered 120vac outlet they can plug their shore cable into, yes it will work just fine. As others have commented the question is one of battery capacity and how long it will run both coaches.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

We offered to do this with friends when we were boondocking for two weeks on BLM land in SW NM near the Gila Box (of NM) about 40 miles N of Silver City. They have a small amount of solar and are very power frugal. They did not need it. We would just have run a 15 amp power cord from one of our 110V receptacles to their 30 amp AC receptacle to charge their battery bank.

We have quite a bit of solar and battery bank and it would have been quite within our capacities to do such with such power frugal friends.

As noted by several, notably expressed by Francesca, the most efficient manner of power transfer is probably battery bank to battery bank if the distance is quite short.

"...It would probably be more efficient to just share 12v power directly, though. Lots of power loss across the conversion from 12v-to-ac-to-12v again..." Francesca

If the rigs are more than a few feet away from each other, you might have to go to 110 to avoid power loss.

The Gila Box area was spectacular. There were quite a few Indian structures/artifacts and wildlife. We saw four Coatamundi along the river and our friends saw a pack of 30 the day before we showed up.
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

I would suggest that you simply have them attach a 12V battery charger like you would use for a auto battery and attach it to their house battery bank. Then plug it into an outside 120 Volt outlet on your rig. This limits the draw to what the charger draws. Maybe 10 AC amps on the source rig and provides maybe 15 Amps of charge to the receiving rig. With the hookup attached 24 hours a day it will significantly assist the receiving rig's batteries without being a huge strain on the source rig.

Ted

Quote:

Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

Do not think it would be any problem to charge some else's batteries with 110 from one of our outlets since we run our compressor which draws over 1kW from an outlet. The shorter the path length, the better. If they did have a battery charger setup for 110, it should work as well. Certainly would not want them running ac or microwave directly.
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

I just want to add that using a 120V battery charger plugged into the source rig will require that the source rig have a large inverter to support said charger unless the source rig is plugged into a pedestal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Do not think it would be any problem to charge some else's batteries with 110 from one of our outlets since we run our compressor which draws over 1kW from an outlet. The shorter the path length, the better. If they did have a battery charger setup for 110, it should work as well. Certainly would not want them running ac or microwave directly.
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Tedruthy
Agree completely with your solution of supplying through a low amperage battery charger. Our setup includes a 1500 W charger so that we can utilize dirty power .

Your other consideration that host rig would need a large and good inverter to supply 110 V AC directly into receiver rig is correct. But would think that most folks with large amount of solar and battery bank would have such. Supplying 12 V DC directly would require either/or very close proximity or very large cabling.

Our battery bank is 48 V nominal so we could only provide 110 V AC.
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #11

My friend has a new unit and the batteries died in no time. I charged his 2 batteries using my solars using booster cables from my batteries. He had to move one battery at a time close to my batteries. In one day it was possible to charge them both to 100% while mine were already at 100% by 11 am anyway.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #12

Barbara and Laurent

So they had to remove their batteries from their battery box to be close enough your battery bank? Guess that it worked well and that is all that matters. We have a large inverter and would have done 110V AC via a 15 amp power cord, but whatever works is great.
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #13

Yes and he left with charged batteries.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #14

caissiel

That worked out well. Will have to remember that. We would do it differently since we have other assets but whatever works is great.
Reed and Elaine