Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwithrow View Post
I just bought my first of 2 Honda EU2000I generators and plan on paralleling them to run the power requirements for my 5th wheel camper this summer. I've only started it twice and played with the wife's hair dryer outside. My question is how fast will the motors run while powering the AC in the camper at night with no other appliances on except for the battery charger? Will they run at higher RPM's> On low, the hair dryer didn't idle up the single generator with the eco switch on and I'm guessing it was pulling 800 watts. If these don't run any faster than that while running the AC at night, I'll sleep much better than I have in the past with the old 3500 watt Champion running wide open.
You'd have heard an 800 watt load from a hairdryer as thats 50% of the units rated output. Must have just been the fan switch you were moving.

How big is your AC unit?

I doubt the 2 together will start a 13.5 in eco mode - even with a big cap.
I know they wont kick over a 15K BTU in eco with a large start cap.

You'll likely have to run them in normal vs economy mode so they'll be louder than idling.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
You'd have heard an 800 watt load from a hairdryer as thats 50% of the units rated output. Must have just been the fan switch you were moving.

How big is your AC unit?

I doubt the 2 together will start a 13.5 in eco mode - even with a big cap.
I know they wont kick over a 15K BTU in eco with a large start cap.

You'll likely have to run them in normal vs economy mode so they'll be louder than idling.

UD
In Eco mode they start my 15K without hesitation.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #31

Thanks guys, I'll plan on starting the AC unit, which is a 13500 with the econo switch off until the unit it running stable.
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Yahama's are as good as the Honda's in most respects (including price) but.........

Hondas have two features that NO OTHER portable (That I know of has)
1: A genuine Believe it or not FUEL PUMP that sucks fuel from the tank (Assuming the vent valve is open..Long funny story there)

2: An optional "Extended run" tank kit

The Extended run tank replaces the existing cap (you will re-use it) with a cap that instead of a vent has a connection for a fuel hose. This fuel hose goes to the Extended run tank (Which gets the vented cap)

The Fuel pump creates a vacuum in the on-board tank that sucks fuel from the Extended Run tank so you can dance all night, You can dance all night, And still you dance some more (Cause the music is still playing)..

All night stated because I love to sing and that's a line from a song modified.

Do not run it all night.. but you can dance all DAY
Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
In Eco mode they start my 15K without hesitation.
awesome - mine kills em dead - instantly.

Im real curious how a hot compressor restart works on your setup you run eco.
Thats even tougher than a cold start.

UD
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
awesome - mine kills em dead - instantly.

Im real curious how a hot compressor restart works on your setup you run eco.
Thats even tougher than a cold start.

UD
Hummmmmmmmm (Blower startup) Bah, bah hummmmmm, (Compressor startup) Bah, bah HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

88* outside, best I can describe. Mine might have a great hard start cap, it might be because the blower comes on about five seconds before the compressor, causing the generators to come to a higher RPM. Don't know, but it does work, least it does so far. I'm open to the possibility that this summer when it's above 90* it may change, but for now it's working fine.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Hummmmmmmmm (Blower startup) Bah, bah hummmmmm, (Compressor startup) Bah, bah HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

88* outside, best I can describe. Mine might have a great hard start cap, it might be because the blower comes on about five seconds before the compressor, causing the generators to come to a higher RPM. Don't know, but it does work, least it does so far. I'm open to the possibility that this summer when it's above 90* it may change, but for now it's working fine.
Funny!

The fan running/started before the compressor helps on restart, and I always make sure when starting form dead I let the fan spool up before I engage the compressor.

I put a big supco (I think SUPP7) in my 15K and my 2Ks wont do it on eco they need to be on normal.

The dometic smart start is more powerful though, and supposed to be the bees knees of soft start kits.

Im wondering what the 2K units "idle" at on eco?

Max sustained is 13 amps each so Im thinking about 1/4 of that or less based on 1/4 loads specs all over web - so about 3.25 amps each on eco so the 2 together idle at about 6.5 amps?? (thoughts? )

The 15K dometic looks like it calls for 18 amps with the smart start in the circuit - seems a long way to rev up to make the start before a stall.

UD

Old 04-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The Yahama's are as good as the Honda's in most respects (including price) but.........

Hondas have two features that NO OTHER portable (That I know of has)
1: A genuine Believe it or not FUEL PUMP that sucks fuel from the tank (Assuming the vent valve is open..Long funny story there)

2: An optional "Extended run" tank kit

The Extended run tank replaces the existing cap (you will re-use it) with a cap that instead of a vent has a connection for a fuel hose. This fuel hose goes to the Extended run tank (Which gets the vented cap)

The Fuel pump creates a vacuum in the on-board tank that sucks fuel from the Extended Run tank so you can dance all night, You can dance all night, And still you dance some more (Cause the music is still playing)..

All night stated because I love to sing and that's a line from a song modified.

Do not run it all night.. but you can dance all DAY
You got half of it right!

The honda does indeed come with a fuel pump - but that doesnt stop you from adding an extended run kit to a yamaha.

There are a number of extended run kits available for the Yammies.
They come with a little fuel pump.

Its a few bucks more and takes installation - but they work better than the cheap suction cap setups that are prone to air leaks.

Pinellas power products makes the best one Ive seen

UD

Extended Run Time Remote Auxiliary Fuel Tank Kit For Yamaha EF2000iS Generator - Pinellas Power Products - Portable Generator Extended Fuel Systems & Wireless Remote Control
Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #37

Appalachian Campers
I've wondered about the various RPM levels myself, I've got a tach that can read off the plug wire, sounds like a project some weekend.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #38

Lost power at the CG yesterday, so I hauled out the old Honda eu2,000 that hadn't been started in 8 months. It started on the 3rd pull. Ran my 5th wheel just fine. Didn't need a/c, so I didn't give it a very good workout.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #39

Going in today to buy my 2nd Honda EU2000I to pair up with the Companion and give them a little workout this weekend!
Old 05-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #40

I had a champion for years (non inverter 3100 watt). Last year i did alot of searching around and in the end decided on the Honda. We go to a few NASCAR races each year and I spent lots of time walking the campgrounds and noting generators. The champion we had was fine but was noisy. In walking around Im going to say 75% had Honda generators. I did see quite a few Yamaha's also. The rest were Champions.

I went with the the Honda for 2 main reasons. First I see these everywhere and figured finding parts would be easier than a Champion. Second was the sound. We planned to upgrade with only one and keep the Champion for the AC, but CW actually had a good sale one weekend and I ended up with 2.

Only used them 3 times last year and they were great. Most times I only ran one to watvh TV or charge batteries. Today I actually need to pull them from the garage, change the oil and run them for the spring !
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post

Only used them 3 times last year and they were great. Most times I only ran one to watvh TV or charge batteries. Today I actually need to pull them from the garage, change the oil and run them for the spring !
You've probably heard this before but it bears saying again. Generators don't like to sit unused in storage. You've invested in one of the best made, keep it in good shape. Run it on a regular basis. I have a Honda EI 6500. Lots of money tied up in it. I try to run it every week while I'm cutting the grass. Have two 1500 w space heaters I use as a load and let it run for an hour or so. You should pull it out at least once a month and give it a work out
Old 05-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #42

I have a Coleman brand 8750 watt generator with a 13 hp Honda motor that has been stored for the last 6 years. I pulled it out a few weeks ago and cleaned it up, put some gas in it, put the choke on and it started on the first pull! I then plugged in a trouble light and let it run a few minutes and then shut the gas off and let it run out. Drained the gas out and then put it away. I'm confident that it will serve my needs anytime in the future

Tags
generator