Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #57

Jayco Owners Club
I thought this might be of interest...
http://www.costco.com/Champion-2%2c8...100139466.html

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
I thought this might be of interest...
http://www.costco.com/Champion-2%2c8...100139466.html
Ok product. Nice packaging.

Standard champion short valve check adjustment interval.

Just 12.5 8 hour days of running an air conditioner and you are into the thing checking clearance.

UD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 10.02.13 AM.png
Views:	85
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	97960  

Old 06-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #59

http://www.generatorgrader.com/champion-75531i-review/
This thread reminds me of the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs 1 ton and SRW vs DRW threads. It basically comes down to at almost half the price (on sale) of a Honda/Yamaha 2000, this Champion 3000 class is a good value and is well reviewed by its owners. If you have to have the best and can afford it, then Honda/Yamaha is the way to go. If you want a good RV generator without bragging rights other than the money you saved, then Champion has a lot going for it.
If it were a gift, I would have no problem taking the Yamaha 2400iSHC. If I am paying for it, it is the $700 Champion 3100.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #60

The Honda pair is unbeatable. Even by price, you're going to get your money's worth since you're probably be going to keep these a while.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #61

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
http://www.generatorgrader.com/champion-75531i-review/
This thread reminds me of the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs 1 ton and SRW vs DRW threads. It basically comes down to at almost half the price (on sale) of a Honda/Yamaha 2000, this Champion 3000 class is a good value and is well reviewed by its owners. If you have to have the best and can afford it, then Honda/Yamaha is the way to go. If you want a good RV generator without bragging rights other than the money you saved, then Champion has a lot going for it.
If it were a gift, I would have no problem taking the Yamaha 2400iSHC. If I am paying for it, it is the $700 Champion 3100.
Buy a Champion. Spend the money you saved on having the valve clearances adjusted. Pay me now or pay me later.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Buy a Champion. Spend the money you saved on having the valve clearances adjusted. Pay me now or pay me later.
I suspect this could be a DIY item if the information on doing it were provided. It looks like they are throwing the dealers a bone with this. I am from the days of adjusting the valves on my air cooled VWs every 3000 miles (per manual) which turned out to be fine at 6000 mile intervals. Supposed to be dealer maintenance, but easily done if you knew how and didn't mind getting your hands dirty.
Edit: a Google seach found both the clearance specs and a note that the procedure is on the Champion web site.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #63

Smarter Tools AP-2000IQ Sinepower Pro generator with Yamaha engine. Best unit for cost value. I Purchased two for 30 amp capability to run Wilderness AC unit. An idea on an enclosure on a TT is found here:
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Yup.

Guys ask the question - then they don't like what they hear.

If one makes an educated choice to spend a little more to maintain less somehow one is "bragging".

Most likely 90% of these owners of this will ignore this interval completely until a valve burns, then complain about hard starting and loss of efficiency.

My point is -there are differences - big ones. As long as the buyer knows it he can make an educated choice.

Caveat Emptor

UD
Old 06-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #65
VTR

Thumbs up on Smarter Tools genny, had mine three and half years, it's been flawless.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onstar20 View Post
Smarter Tools AP-2000IQ Sinepower Pro generator with Yamaha engine. Best unit for cost value. I Purchased two for 30 amp capability to run Wilderness AC unit. An idea on an enclosure on a TT is found here:

Be aware that the carburator jet may have to be changed at altitude to lean the mixture out. I know folks have posted that Hondas may be iffy over 7000', but a review on Amazon indicated jet changes at lower altitudes than that, so a set of carb jets look like a requirement for use at altitude. Per that review:
"If you are going to use this generator above say 4000" or there abouts, I would replace the main jet as follows: 2000 meters=1HX-1423A-63-AO, 3000 meters=1HX14231-12 and 4000 meters=1HX-1423A-62-AO. In replacing the jet, use as thick a screwdriver blade as possible so you don't destroy the slot."
Since this is Yamaha powered, I wonder if the Yamaha 2000 has the same issue. I saw in a Costco review that Yamaha customer service recommends and will quickly ship high altitude jets with directions for changing the jet. Remember to return to the low altitude jet when appropriate.

This may apply to all generators, but was said specifically about the Yamaha engine:
More important-- due a couple of short OCI's when it's new, on regular dino to break it in and flush out any manufacturing debris. Run different loads on it. It can take them a while to break in--- I'd consider the first 40-50 hours on some of these engines to get nicely settled, but the first couple of changes are critical for getting out the small metal sparkles.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Thanks for this post. It looks like a good, cost effective unit. The Yamaha engine eliminates the valve clearance argument as well.
Be aware that the carburator jet may have to be changed at altitude to lean the mixture out. I know folks have posted that Hondas may be iffy over 7000', but a review on Amazon indicated jet changes at lower altitudes than that, so a set of carb jets look like a requirement for use at altitude. Per that review:
"If you are going to use this generator above say 4000" or there abouts, I would replace the main jet as follows: 2000 meters=1HX-1423A-63-AO, 3000 meters=1HX14231-12 and 4000 meters=1HX-1423A-62-AO. In replacing the jet, use as thick a screwdriver blade as possible so you don't destroy the slot."
Since this is Yamaha powered, I wonder if the Yamaha 2000 has the same issue. I saw in a Costco review that Yamaha customer service recommends and will quickly ship high altitude jets with directions for changing the jet. Remember to return to the low altitude jet when appropriate.

This may apply to all generators, but was said specifically about the Yamaha engine:
More important-- due a couple of short OCI's when it's new, on regular dino to break it in and flush out any manufacturing debris. Run different loads on it. It can take them a while to break in--- I'd consider the first 40-50 hours on some of these engines to get nicely settled, but the first couple of changes are critical for getting out the small metal sparkles.
All carbed gensets benefit from tuning at altitude.

In this area fixed mount gennys like my Onan 4K are easier to deal with and have a main jet adjustment knob on the carb - where with the portables you have to remove and replace a jet. Its not hard, but it is a little job.

The Yamaha MZ80 is an excellent engine that likely wont give you any trouble - my only concern would be parts for the Smarter genset that aren't engine related.
Interestingly I cannot find a valve check interval for it.

If you can get one of those cheapie magnetic dipsticks/drain plugs for it- do it.

I recorded a video for the guys on the Honda forums about these and they indeed pull a decent amount of shavings out of the oil

Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #68

I don't know about cheapie magnetic dipsticks, but they are available on Amazon for $18.95 plus shipping. Still, cheap relative to a new engine.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR View Post
Thumbs up on Smarter Tools genny, had mine three and half years, it's been flawless.
http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html
Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
interesting review of the 3100 here - read the whole best review, and this particular guy ended up selling him for a honda 3000

Robot Check

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator