Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Portable Refrigerator / Freezer

Hey Everyone,

I called out on the Excel Owners forum and got some response on this question, some great feedback in fact.

Has anyone bought and used any of these portable Refrigerator / Freezers from Dometic, Norcold or Engle?

Which ones did you use?

How well did it work for you?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep a 4 cu.ft. Sanyo 110v portable refrigerator [w/small freezer compartment] in the garage of my toyhauler. It works better than my RVs factor Dometic in keeping drinks cold. I use the Sanyo as my beer, wine and soda cooler. Being portable, I can place it under the awning for convenience.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seem to recall responding to a thread like this.. I have an Engle, 8 years old.. So far I've had a "problem" with it just one time.. That problem was elsewhere (not the Freezer but the wire between the battery and the 12 volt distribution panel. (Way before the freezer).. As of this typing this over 8 year old box still keeps the ice cream hard. I do take it outside and blast the outside parts with compressed air from time to time (Dust them off).
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have been using the Dometic cf 80 for a couple of weeks and love it. No ice to take up space or water to drain. It keeps things as cold as you want and quickly. Reverseable lid so you can put the controls and fans on either end. Has handles for carrying.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

We have an Engel and love it. We use it as an additional freezer and we have it on a pull out tray in the basement of the 5th wheel. It automatically switches to dc power (we installed a dc outlet in the basement) when we disconnect from shore power. We have a thermometer mounted on it monitoring the temps and even on the hottest days, it registers below zero. Pricey but well worth it to us.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Thanks very much for that, I was considering that set up!
Jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a Dometic 35 portable cooler/freezer. My question is can I plug it into the 110v and the 12v receptacles at the same time? I have both in the storage bay. It supposedly senses which voltage is being used. OR should I just plug into the 12v until I arrive at destination and then switch it out to the 110v? The manual is very poorly written and doesn't address the issue.
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

I got 2 Engel units, use one for a freezer and one for a keeping beer real cold. Tried some of the other brands but they just don't cold enough and have more drain. The Engels are built like a truck, they are quite and do the job always. Well worth the money.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 100# Dometic in a storage bay. It came wired into both 120 and 12 V as a factory option. Been on 24/7/365 for over 11 years with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We use this one by EdgeStar on our bay slideout - works as advertised for our needs. Great after 2.5 years of 75% use.
EdgeStar 63 Qt. 12V DC Portable Fridge/Freezer - FP630

Dual input (auto switching) power and better price/warranty then Dometic/NoCold.
Sips energy and keeps ice cream rock solid. (-8 to 50 degrees f digital setting/readout)

Free shiping
Old 08-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #11

You can plug into both. That is what we do with our Engel. It automatically switches to DC power when we disconnect from shore power. We use the Engelas a freezer and it works very well.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Waeco with our teardrop trailer powered by the 185W solar panel, My wife was a bi miffed that I spent as much as I did but has come to love it. It rides in the back of our Subaru Outback powered by a line run from the battery when traveling.

Tags
refrigerator