Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Portable waste tank size

Pardon me if this has been discussed. I am in the need of a portable waste tank and was all set to get a 35gal one so it would come close to emtying my black tank in one shot. Then the wife asked me how I plan to load it into the back of my truck. Good question! So I'm asking people who have used them and have had to transport them in the back of trucks. How big is manageable? I thought maybe 27gal but I honestly don't know if I could get that into my truck either! Im 40 with a decent build so I can handle a decent amount of weight but I just don't know how these things handle for lifting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #2

27 gallons of water weighs 225 lbs. The tote weighs 26 lbs. Adding waste solids could be a bit more. Most black waste totes have a loop on the handle to go over a ball hitch and wheels to be towed to the dump station.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
When I had a TT and used the auxiliary tank I would tow it with the truck. You have to go really slow because the wheels are small and quite often the roads are rough.
Mine also had a hand pull handle that would work for short distances.
I would never have tried to lift it into the back of the truck.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

I tow mine when at state parks. To carry in truck bed, put in bed empty and then get a pump to fill it. Use same pump to empty at dump site. My black lasts me two weeks, so I tote just to empty gray.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the large 42 gallon Barker tote. Loop the handle over a hitch ball and tow it to the dump station. This of course only works if the dump station is in the CG.

If you need to go a distance and have it in the truck bed, then use a macerator pump to fill / empty while its in the truck bed. If you don't have a truck, consider a hitch mounted carrier rack.

The macerator pump can be useful also if able to tow the tank. Full they are heavy to roll across grass or gravel.

I like the large size as it makes for less trips and handling - usually holds pretty much all of each holding tank contents.

Also, while water does weigh about 8 lbs to the gallon, nothing says you have to completely fill the tank...

Vince.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #6

I will be camping in the mountains and the road down isn't possible to tow the tank. Plus, I would have about 5 miles on a really busy highway to get into the nearest dump station. So towing it isn't an option. I'm thinking my 20yr old son and I or myself and a buddy could handle the 27gal. But how about emtying, do you need that pump to emty them?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman_1975 View Post
I will be camping in the mountains and the road down isn't possible to tow the tank. Plus, I would have about 5 miles on a really busy highway to get into the nearest dump station. So towing it isn't an option. I'm thinking my 20yr old son and I or myself and a buddy could handle the 27gal. But how about emtying, do you need that pump to emty them?

Gravity will handle the dumping........just need a hose long enough to reach from tote in bed of truck to the dump station and stick in drain (not just pull up and let it fly )

Lifting a full 27 gallon tote into bed of truck......2 person job just because of fluids shifting around while lifting
Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

It's a 250 lbs. two people will not want to drop.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #9

I have the 25 gallon Barker 4-wheel tote. When filled there is no way I can lift it. I do have the indicator to show when tote is full. That way I can tell when to shut off the tank valve and allow enough room in tote to drain sewer hose. Works well for visitors to my place that need to dump. I also have a tractor with a front end loader. I no longer need to manhandle the heavy tote when used at home.

Tags
tank