Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Use twice as much powder as called for helps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is also non-instant powdered milk that is sold in health food stores. It is powdered using a different process and requires a blender for dehydrating. I've been told it tastes better than the instant variety. I don't drink milk, so I can't attest to any claims. I once heard that adding a little vanilla would help the taste of reconstituted milk.

Personally, if it was something I HAD to have, I'd schedule a trip into
town, but not much in my life fits that category.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Buy organic milk. It often has 5-6 weeks until it expires. And it's better for you. I assume it is ultra pasteurized. Same taste, a bit more expensive, but cheaper than a trip to town.
The link I provided for Ultra Pasturized milk.. Is also orgainc. Yes, it often is.

If I could I'd go Organic.. I do feel it's better.. And I grew up on a dairy farm. We did not quite qualify for "Orgainc" since we fed both hay and grain, but we did not feed BGH.

Many years ago one of the Morning talk show (GMA or Today) did a bit on orgainc foods. They had their pet cheif shop in two stores.

1: A local supermarket

2: A local certified orgainc store.

He made two of everything, One from the supermarket one from the orgainc markit and showed off the results.

He now shops orgainc exclusive.. (Assuming he's still alive, I mean this man was a heart attack looking for an emergency room) WHY, Because IT TASTES BETTER.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #18

Mix powdered with the reccommended water and add some to the regular you still have left.

One package powdered milk to 3 or 3.5 cups of water. It tastes much better than using 4 cups of water.

Freeze some regular milk in pints and use to mix with powdered as needed.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Years ago, my sister was on a budget and wanted to use powdered milk. Her husband said no way will I drink that stuff. Without him knowing she started adding reconstituted powdered milk to their milk, first she had only 1/4 powdered milk soon she made it 1/2, then 3/4 and within a month or so was serving only pure reconstituted powdered milk, always of course in the milk bottle. One day he discovered the box of powdered milk and asked, "What's this???"
She answered, "what you've been drinking the last 6 months."
Anything that tastes slightly different than what we are used to, tends to be disliked unless we find it extra good. I had the same experience when I switched to diet soda, I initially didn't like it. Now I like it better than regular soda which I don't care for at all any more.
We can train our taste and we can acquire tastes. So powdered milk is fine for me, I agree it's better if you mix it up and let it sit in the refrigerator before drinking, I think that allows the powder to more fully dissolve than if you try drinking it right away (UGH.) Powdered milk does keep and will take up less space. It is perfectly good for cooking, cereal, etc. It doesn't hurt to try a few different brands to see if one appeals to you more than the others. Whenever trying something new it's best to keep an open mind. Somewhat different is not necessarily worse, it's just different.
Irene
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding that budget.. Check the price of powdered milk v/s liquid milk at Aldi's.. Turns out it's cheaper if you get the real stuff.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Regarding that budget.. Check the price of powdered milk v/s liquid milk at Aldi's.. Turns out it's cheaper if you get the real stuff.
Yep, the times they be a changin'
Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
I've heard it's pretty good when mixed with colyte.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carnation is what we keep on hand in a jar. No matter what you use, you must get used to it - It's just not the same, it is sweeter and watery.
For oatmeal and hot chocolate, I use dairy creamer vs powdered milk.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #24

When my daughter was very young the doctor suggested we put her on powdered milk because it had very little fat. As a result carnation powdered milk is all we used for years. Both of our children complained that they didn't like the taste of the fresh milk at school. Powdered milk was much cheaper than fresh milk back then. Yes, fresh milk does taste better. My wife and I now enjoy 2% fresh milk.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #25

We boondock nearly 100% of the time for the half of each year that we are in our trailer, and we are never so far from a little store somewhere that we can't get fresh milk.

It is hard to imagine living so remotely. Even deep in the national forests you're still rarely more than 25 miles from a store. Making that trip once every week or two to get fresh food seems very worthwhile... At the same time you can get rid of your non-burnable trash...

However, living in Mexico on a sailboat we've found the fresh milk tends to go sour very quickly. So we use boxed milk.

I'm not sure if it's sold in the US, but it comes in waxed box containers (like the boxed fruit juices) and is much more similar to fresh milk than powdered milk is.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
need some help from all of you. when boomdocking i might be able to stay out for 1 month before having to come to town. are any of you using powered milk ? if so what brand ? any suggestions please.
We live in Mexico during the winter. This stuff is actually pretty good. No refrigeration necessary.

If you can find a similar product in your supermarket, the flavor beats powered milk hands down. Cheap here, expensive there.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Mick,

Have you noticed that the people pictured on the leche carton looks like an all American family? Seems odd for a product with only Spanish writing.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Hey Mick,

Have you noticed that the people pictured on the leche carton looks like an all American family? Seems odd for a product with only Spanish writing.
Hey Okmunky,

No, I did not notice. They just look like people, same as everybody else. The color of the people on the box has nothing to do with the product inside. I speak Spanish so the language on the box didn't jump out either.

That boxed milk would be great for boondocking, even for people who look like Americans. It comes in small square packages that need no refrigeration until you open them.