Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm! Strange.
The OP prompted me to look at the 120V power plugs on my two laptops, both Toshiba.
Now mind you, I have used an inverter plugged into a cigarette socket when on the road, both for operating, and charging, with no problems.

The "strange" part is that one of the "little square boxes" on the 120vac says that the output is 16v dc at 4.5 amps. The other one says 19v dc at 3.5 Amps. The input states 105-240vac. So where does the cigarette socket (battery) get the voltage through the inverter to power the PC. I guess there is a step-up in that little box. Hmmm!

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rickey View Post
Somewhere in the rear you should have 12V sockets, like the one for your cigarette lighter but without the lighter widget (they may have a plastic cover over them). Plugging your inverter into them should at least let you run from the coach batteries rather than killing your engine battery. They'll probably last considerably better, as well, the engine battery is designed to put out a lot of current fast, rather than a trickle for a long time.

--Dave
Dave, Thanks for the info. I went looking but so far haven't found what you referred to. I even checked the Manual (which is all greek to me right now) but that didn't help because they are kinda generic, written for several different types. I have a 2008 Winnebago Access 31C.

heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The laptop 12 volt power cord I use is a DC/DC converter.. What it does is first chop the DC into nice square (or nearly square) waves. feed it to a transformer or voltage doubler circuit, trading amps for more volts (That is it can draw 10 amps or more while powering my 16 volt computer) then it rectifies, filters and regulates just like the AC supply does... Only it's one stage of conversion, instead of two.. It can provide voltages from roughly 5 volt to around 25 volts, depending on the setting of the voltage selector dial. (it is not a knob, screwdriver adjust).

The computer will work on around 12.5 to around 19 or 20, at the lower voltages it will not charge it's internal battery.

Computer is a THinkpad R-31.. Different computers have different voltage requirements... Current to the laptop is fairly hefty...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #32

I guess that either we've been lucky, or else live in a Fool's Paradise - because we have appliance 12 volt cigarrette lighter outlets in both our RV's, and have had excellent results running our DVD players, TV's, and laptop off of these while boondocking:

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage2006 View Post
Dave, Thanks for the info. I went looking but so far haven't found what you referred to. I even checked the Manual (which is all greek to me right now) but that didn't help because they are kinda generic, written for several different types. I have a 2008 Winnebago Access 31C.
Dave, It doesn't appear that my RV has this outlet ??
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage2006 View Post
Dave, It doesn't appear that my RV has this outlet ??
On older RV's, they were close to - or part of - the port where you connect your TV antenna cable and switch the TV antenna booster on/off - usually both normal 120 volt AC outlets, as well as the 12 volt cigarette lighter type. Our '88 Winnie MH has one up front, as well as another in the bedroom...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sassy,
You can try looking up your coaches wiring here:

Wiring Diagrams

In my case I have outlets at the passenger seat, dining table and bedroom. You must have one or more in there somewhere. Good luck.

SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote