Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buying a new fridge is pretty expensive...and what you get is a fridge that will cool off propane.

Adding a nice Inverter generator will run the fridge you’ve got...and with the right size, or if paired with an easy start...it will also run an A/C unit if needed. Lots of bang for the buck.

We have been camping in State Parks that had 30A shore power. Thunderstorm rolls thru, power goes out. No sun...solar won’t help...you either leave, or use a generator if you have one. So, my vote is for Generator as the most important.

Solar...yes, we can run our residential fridge and more off solar. 1,440 watts, capable of 100A of 12v power...eight GC2 batteries with 928aH of storage...2800watt MS2812 Inverter. But you need sunlight, or enough battery to bridge the gap during periods of night and inclement weather. I consider this a very useful tool...but it really needs a backup, such as the generator.

Our current rig has no propane...so, we’re always more focused on Electric, battery, generator, solar to meet our boondocking needs. There are many, many rigs with propane..and they have been successfully boondocking rain or shine for years. Still if you journey to southern latitudes...eventually, you will be asking the question...how do I run an A/C unit while boondocking.

I’ve used block ice and coolers to camp...so that is always an option, so long as you can replenish the ice when needed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2019, 12:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
In theory, indefinitely. Provided you are willing and able to dispose of waste via portable tanks and replenish water and fuel as needed.

45 gallons of fresh water could be used up in 2-3 days, or maybe 6-7, depending on the couple. Fresh water is typically exhausted before the black and grey tanks become full. That could be the limiting factor. If you’re running a generator 24/7 off the vehicles fuel supply, you could hit the fuel cut-off before you run out of water. It’s easy to get more fuel. Very few people want to handle sewage once, let alone twice, so empty or full holding tanks are generally what motivate people to break camp.
The trailer I'm leaning toward has a 60 gallon fresh water tank. I guess in my mind, I'm envisioning having bottled water available for drinking/cooking and using the water in the tank for washing up and probably for the dogs. Actually, they probably drink as much water as my husband and I do. That would be a lot of empty bottles that would need to be recycled, though, and I wouldn't have curbside recycling.
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
It's just me and the dog so far and I have 100 gallon fresh water tank. I figured it would get me 14 to 21 days based on what I was reading. I don't remember the grey and black tank size though I thought they were pretty good size. It sounds electric should be my primary concern and everyone seems to be suggesting a generator.

Honda sounds like the best though Champion seems affordable.
Start by keeping it simple while you learn how you like to boondock. Get a cheap generator that can run your fridge and charge batteries at the same time.

I find that I have an hour or two in the morning and evening cooking and doing chores where running the generator does not bother me. Keep the fridge door closes the rest of the time.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
The trailer I'm leaning toward has a 60 gallon fresh water tank. I guess in my mind, I'm envisioning having bottled water available for drinking/cooking and using the water in the tank for washing up and probably for the dogs. Actually, they probably drink as much water as my husband and I do. That would be a lot of empty bottles that would need to be recycled, though, and I wouldn't have curbside recycling.
Keep in mind if the tags show 60 gallons fresh water that includes the hot water heater. It will likely be something like 50 gallons of usable water.

We use a 5 gallon water bottle like you see on office water coolers. We were given it with a hand pump that screws into it by the RVs previous owner. It works great and we use that supply for the coffeemaker, a drink of water etc. We haul that and a 10l jug in the truck when we extended boondock. We can refill the RV tank easily with it as we have a suction unit for bucket filling. 5 gallons is pretty manageable. It can be reused for years or exchanged at most grocery or big box stores.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
There is a wide variety of containers available to store and transport water, from 1-10 gallons or more. Some are collapsible, some are not. Drinking water is available in 1-2 1/2 gallon containers that will eliminate the garbage bag collection of 12oz bottles. Sport bottles, or something similar can be refilled from the larger containers.

Recycling problem solved.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
You need a generator for days when it rains for an extended period of time or when solar output is reduced by time of year or clouds.
You don't need a BIG generator, but you do need a backup. 2000W-2500W unless you are planing on running an A/C.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
We boondock for 7-10 days at a time with a big motorhome, residential refrigerator, and satellite TV. We have six 6-volt batteries, 900 watts of solar, and a generator. We seldom use the generator, but it is handy for the times we are parked in tree cover or have rainy days. Also note the short winter days have a very strong impact on how much power your panels can create. First purchase should be a battery monitor to see how much power you really use (we have a VictronConnect with a Bluetooth readout). Then figure out how to supply power in a cost effective manner, either a generator or solar or both. You do probably need more batteries unless you are frugal with power. Even with AGMs you can’t use the entire amp hours. A quality multistage converter/charger is also needed. Check the specs on your current one to see if it is up to snuff.

In our experience, power is the least of your worries when boondocking or dry camping. It is your gray tank that will be your limiting factor. That is why we generally need to find a dump or a regular campground after a week or so. Navy showers help the most. And for those who say we aren’t “camping” if we have all the advantages in our rig, I say “you are right.” We live in our rig for 3-4 months at a time; we seldom camp. We were serious wilderness campers for many, many year, but age, bad knees, and a bad back don’t let us do that anymore.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #36

I went through the same process as you are going thru. Looking back I would prioritize my expenditures this way. Power storage. Lithium batteries. Big expense but you need the ability to store the power you generate and you will need power especially with your fridge. Secondly I would get the generator. You are going to need one even if you get solar. I like the Honda models but I bought a Champion rv model not a contractor model.

You are going to need a way to monitor and use the power you generate so get the battery monitor and a decent inverter. I bought Magnum but lots of people like the Victron models.

Once you get tired of the generator noise then buy solar. I installed 900 watts. It is enough for us but it may not be enough for you.

I will echo a previous comment. Boondock in your driveway first. Don't go in the house at all. Do it when it is 90 degrees and do it when it rains for a couple days. Plug into the house only when you need to charge your batteries. No cheating. If you still like boondocking then spend 8k your going to need to boondock as you outline.

The water management will be the easiest to figure out and the least expensive. 8k is pretty realistic based on what you outline. It's worth the expense to me but in the end it's a personal choice.

Before you spend a penny read the 12 volt side of life, Handy Bob solar, watch Herbert's travels solar install and Duetjustice series on rv solar and components. Education is a powerful thing for the decision making process.

Seek out someone who actually knows from 1st hand experience and has a reasonable understanding of what you envision. I befriended an electrical engineer who boondocks with his family in a manor you described. He never needs to plug into electric but he does haul water. Grey black and fresh.

And you don't need to change out the fridge.

You can spend a lot of time in campgrounds for the money you will spend to effectively boondock. It was worth the money and effort to our family. We fulltime and our style is a blend of rv park resorts and boondocking. Each has it's pluses. We have done campgrounds in the Florida keys and boondocking in the Mexican baja. Both are great. We would do the work and spend the money again for the setup we have. I would just make the expense in a different order.

Make your own informed decisions. There's no right or wrong. There's just what works for you.

Enjoy the journey.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #37

Thank you!

I have a 75 gallon grey and 50 gallon waste tank. I figured I'll be doing navy showers. I was more concerned with the all electric refrigerator and CPAP machine. It seems batteries, generator and a battery monitor are high on the priority list unless there's any more suggestions. I'm reading then I move towards solar panels, on-demand hot water heater, and compost toilet.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdavet View Post
I went through the same process as you are going thru. Looking back I would prioritize my expenditures this way. Power storage. Lithium batteries. Big expense but you need the ability to store the power you generate and you will need power especially with your fridge. Secondly I would get the generator. You are going to need one even if you get solar. I like the Honda models but I bought a Champion rv model not a contractor model.

You are going to need a way to monitor and use the power you generate so get the battery monitor and a decent inverter. I bought Magnum but lots of people like the Victron models.

Once you get tired of the generator noise then buy solar. I installed 900 watts. It is enough for us but it may not be enough for you.

I will echo a previous comment. Boondock in your driveway first. Don't go in the house at all. Do it when it is 90 degrees and do it when it rains for a couple days. Plug into the house only when you need to charge your batteries. No cheating. If you still like boondocking then spend 8k your going to need to boondock as you outline.

The water management will be the easiest to figure out and the least expensive. 8k is pretty realistic based on what you outline. It's worth the expense to me but in the end it's a personal choice.

Before you spend a penny read the 12 volt side of life, Handy Bob solar, watch Herbert's travels solar install and Duetjustice series on rv solar and components. Education is a powerful thing for the decision making process.

Seek out someone who actually knows from 1st hand experience and has a reasonable understanding of what you envision. I befriended an electrical engineer who boondocks with his family in a manor you described. He never needs to plug into electric but he does haul water. Grey black and fresh.

And you don't need to change out the fridge.

You can spend a lot of time in campgrounds for the money you will spend to effectively boondock. It was worth the money and effort to our family. We fulltime and our style is a blend of rv park resorts and boondocking. Each has it's pluses. We have done campgrounds in the Florida keys and boondocking in the Mexican baja. Both are great. We would do the work and spend the money again for the setup we have. I would just make the expense in a different order.

Make your own informed decisions. There's no right or wrong. There's just what works for you.

Enjoy the journey.
I agree with you. The only issue I'm having other than money is not being able to get the tax credit unless I buy the solar panels. The tax credit should cover the amount of a generator or two lithium batteries, if I purchase that big of system.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I agree with you. The only issue I'm having other than money is not being able to get the tax credit unless I buy the solar panels. The tax credit should cover the amount of a generator or two lithium batteries, if I purchase that big of system.
Make sure you can use the tax credit before you plan with it. We discovered we had to itemize, and we couldn’t do it with the new personal deduction amount increasing. We hadn’t planned on it, but it would have been a nice change.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Make sure you can use the tax credit before you plan with it. We discovered we had to itemize, and we couldn’t do it with the new personal deduction amount increasing. We hadn’t planned on it, but it would have been a nice change.
I’m not a tax expert...but I believe this isn’t true.

The Form 5695 Residential Energy Credit is NOT a deduction. It is a credit. You do not need to itemize. The credit calculated on F5695 is transferred directly to your 1040...

If you have a paid tax preparer...and they told you it required itemized deductions...you might get another opinion.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:33 AM   #41

Also, if you have more of a tax credit than you can use in one year, it'll carry forward. But the IRS has not yet said how many years you can carry it forward.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Also, if you have more of a tax credit than you can use in one year, it'll carry forward. But the IRS has not yet said how many years you can carry it forward.
Yeah, I don't think I'll have enough to carry over to another year. Now you have me wondering. This is the last year for the 30% tax credit. It reduces next year. I'm assuming if you have to carry over to the following year you would still get to use the full remaining amount. (not have to recalculate at the new rate and minus what you already used. that sounds too complicated. our government would do that to us. hmm)

Tags
boondocking