Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Proposed Fees for BLM campers

Received this news flash from Escapees this morning:

Escapees News Bulletin
by Jim Koca, Advocacy Director

As some Escapees are aware, a bill has been introduced in the United States Congress, HB 5204, entitled The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Modernization Act of 2014, which will allow fees to be collected for most of the "public land" that is controlled by the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management. If the bill passes, it would allow the Federal Government to charge fees for any activity on land that we presently have access to for free. Fees could include a permit fee, day use fee, or a special use fee. There is the possibility that the bill could be attached to an appropriation bill, which would allow the bill to pass without public comment or debate.

It is time now to get involved and contact your congressman and senators where you have your domicile and let them know that HB 5204 should be defeated. In the past, public lands have been turned over to concessionaires that allowed them to charge fees or to refuse to give discounts for entering the federal lands. This bill may not pass, but don't take a chance and let the other members contact their congressman or senators. It only takes a few minutes to let the representatives that we elected know how we feel.

To find your congressman, you can go to The United States House of Representatives · House.gov, and for senators, you can go to U.S. Senate.

If you would like to review the bill yourself:
https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th...bill/5204/text

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #2

Hr 5204

Old 09-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe it's time to pay for some of the free things in life that cost tax dollars for the rest of us. By the way I use free BLM lands too. But somewhere along the line we must pay for what we use. JMT

LEN
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
laj

that would sure be a refreshing concept! nothing is free except air, and mountain stream water, everything else somebody pays for. might as well be the recipient.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Maybe it's time to pay for some of the free things in life that cost tax dollars for the rest of us. By the way I use free BLM lands too. But somewhere along the line we must pay for what we use. JMT

LEN
X2 couldn't say it better, so I won't try.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:

LEN

What "rest of us" are you talking about? I have been paying taxes all my life so, in the long run, my BLM camping has never been FREE. And remember the old adage, give them your finger and they'll take your arm.

The right to freely use our public lands, which are paid for by everyone's tax dollars, is a time honored privilege of living in this beautiful country. Let's try to keep the ball in our court.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #7

We all have paid our dues to keep these lands free. If we allow the proposed new fee-tax to take effect it will only compound. Next they will build a potty out there, but add a fee to use it by adding a slot to the door to pay as you go. And it goes worse from that--a new fee to update the picnic table out there every year. And then ruin the peaceful quiet by adding night lights to noisy generators in areas used most. There goes your peace and quiet. Stop this nonsense. You paid enough taxes. Keep those lands free for our use. Those who love fees, donate it at tax time. We have had no troubles with free use of lands as it is.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I must agree. How ever we as awhole do not pay enough taxes to cover all WE demand of our government. And use of these lands may need a user fee. There are roads to maintain, such as they are and some form of policing. We as Americans are lead to believe we are top in the world, we are ok but NOT the top. Because of all the freebies(maybe taxed but not at a support rate to cover expenses) there comes time. As to paying all your life GREAT ON YOU but is it enough to support all we get "NOT". JMT

LEN
Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no problem paying for some kind of permit. If they do start charging, I would hope they would have short term and annual permits available.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:

LEN
What the H--- is wrong with you people. That lands belongs to US. We pay for it everyday and have for years. If you feel guilty and feel you don't pay enough taxes the Government will take all you want to donate.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertman View Post
What "rest of us" are you talking about? I have been paying taxes all my life so, in the long run, my BLM camping has never been FREE. And remember the old adage, give them your finger and they'll take your arm.

The right to freely use our public lands, which are paid for by everyone's tax dollars, is a time honored privilege of living in this beautiful country. Let's try to keep the ball in our court.

X2

I agree ! Stop already with the stupid taxes! The government already wastes enough of our money. Let's see them secure out borders.....see can't even get that right!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

Spent a few days at a USFS free campground. There was a donation box at the entrance for those who wanted to contribute for maintenance
Old 09-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #13

all the BLM will do with that money is close off more trails, and convert the rest of their workforce into cops. The work trucks will give way to SUVs with light bars and shotguns....

I live in the middle of all that. Screw the BLM. We don't need 'em, and all that land needs to revert to state control.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
all the BLM will do with that money is close off more trails, and convert the rest of their workforce into cops. The work trucks will give way to SUVs with light bars and shotguns....

I live in the middle of all that. Screw the BLM. We don't need 'em, and all that land needs to revert to state control.
X2.