Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #15

Or as my wife says: with a trailer, the vacation starts when you get where you're going. With a motorhome, the vacation starts when we leave the driveway...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Or as my wife says: with a trailer, the vacation starts when you get where you're going. With a motorhome, the vacation starts when we leave the driveway...
I love that quote. I would ammend it to say that with a trailer the vacation starts once you get where you're going and then spend a few minutes leveling and unhooking all the while working up a sweat.

cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #17

John H, what makes you want to go back to a C from an A?
Automobolist- we were starting to look at toyhaulers with the idea of having a small car be in the garage section so we'd then have two 'cars' to utilize when parked(the towable truck + the small car) - ideal if we fulltime and i've got a job i need to get to everyday. but then I read on some forums that the ramp structure isn't usually stout enough for a car as they were made for atv's and such. but if you're daughter's TH is allowing them to use a jeep then that gives me hope that maybe i should research TH's some more. TH's we've seen (primarily the Fusion line by keystone) had some interesting floorplans, though I don't really dig the sporty racing stylings as we are looking for something to be a "home" and not just a vacationing rig.

Feeling lazy, I do like the sound of MH's being easier than trailers to setup and pickup, especially in the onset of scary weather; I'd hate to have to mess with getting hitched up, jacks up etc if a tornado was on the way (currently live in MO) - but maybe i'm taking that worry to an extreme?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #18

Zoemorn, My wife would drive the C, but she won't the A.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #19

John H, Ha, has your wife ever tried driving the A? I've driven neither and am nervous of both so i figure just jump in and get after it until i'm comfortable, and hopefully not be like Robin Williams in the movie "RV". My wife thinks she's brave enough to try driving anything (well maybe not an airplane, though I've played around in that arena as well). But again, we need to do a test drive sometime, our only connection with anyone that has one is in California. So i guess just doing a test drive at a dealership will have to suffice, and we're likely to try renting an A too, though its kinda pricey.
One rental place we saw also rented trailers, seemed kinda strange to me that a place rents trailers without stating (on their website) what the requirements are for a truck to tow them.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #20

Simple! First time you take a drive in an A you will be hooked! That giant window to look out going down the road, pull off anywhere and you are home.
just my $.02
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Zoemorn, My wife would drive the C, but she won't the A.
when my dw decided to drive our moho, i found a large empty closed big k store parking lot and took her there twice for about 45 minutes each. there were lines for her to follow and we used soda cans for markers on turns. stay away from the light posts.
i installed a marker on the dash for her to line up the center of the moho on the lines. the backup camera worked well to line up the center of the rear of the moho on the lines. i installed reflectors over the center of the rear tires that are visible in the mirrors.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
DW was pretty apprehensive about driving the monster, as she thought of the 33' MH. So, we hired a MH driving instructor to spend the first whole day with us. He met us where we picked up the MH, and drove in it with us for that day. REALLY, REALLY helpful. Well worth the cost. I had driven a smaller MH many years before, but I learned a ton of new things, and the DW now has no problems at all. Her friends are amazed at her "courageousness." She loves seeing the occasional surprised expressions on some folks faces as she drives by sitting high.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #23

Zoemorn, She won't even try. I'm pretty sure she could do it, but she's too scared. The plus side is that it's an excuse to get a newer one. We liked our last C.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #24

Dan, HA, nice tips! I had thought I would probably do the same thing (find an open lot where i cant destroy anything) and just do some maneuvers: figure 8's, parking, barrel rolls (well maybe not that last one)

John H. We've seen some C's that we kinda liked. I've read by some in the forums that the visibility from C's are lesser than in A's, especially for blind spots- which would be my biggest worry in maneuvering one.

JS - MH driving instructor huh? seems like a decent idea to consider. Was that very expensive?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #25

Zoemorn, The C is just a van body and easier to drive , but you have to watch for the extra width. My wife was fine driving it. They do have some great floor plans. It was my idea to sell it because I always wanted an A, now I'm happy if we go back to a C.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #26

Zoemorn, One other thing. I am really happy with the A and really don't care if it sells. Not really trying hard to sell it. If it does, it does. I just get tired driving at times and wish Deb could share.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
zoemorn,

I think we paid about $395 of for the two of us, for all day. There are MH Driving Schools around, especially in Arizona and California. They usually are one or two day trainings, covering pretty much everything for new MH owners. We found one in the foothills near Sacramento, which was very close to where we bought the MH. He has a school you attend with your MH, but he did travel to us, not very far, and that made it great.

Again, for the DW it was especially great, as she got hands on experience from a temperamentally better suited instructor (;-), and without the hair pulling DH going too far over the edge as she barely missed other vehicles and retaining walls on VERY small side roads. But today, one year later, she's a pro.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
When I stop at a place like a Cracker Barrel, Walmart, etc. it is because I have one thing on my mind...rest. I don't want to go to a restaurant. I don't want to go to a movie. I don't want to go shopping (unless at Walmart for essentials) I have food in the galley, a warm bed in the nose of the fiver, and a shower and toilet in the rear. I have a generator on board, and the television can run on an inverter. I don't unhook and I don't "set up camp". That is what I do when I get to my destination. So having a fiver is not a disadvantage for me in the least.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote