Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #127

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilke859 View Post
mgscott4, 500 miles in a day is taking it easy? Man I wish I had your endurance, 200 miles and I am done in.
I typically drive 200 mile segments and stop for gas (Usually Flying J) and sometimes a power nap. During the summer months , I do around 4 segments around 800 miles. I prefer not to drive after dark. I am a morning person and usually get started around dawn. My DW, sometimes drive after lunch to give me an hour nap, but that is all she can handle.

If I need a bathroom break, and there are no rest areas near, I will take an exit ramp, then go straight across the intersection, and stop on the on-ramp for a few minutes. I feel that this is the safest place to pull over on a highway.

I believe that fuel in the tank keeps the fuel pump cool, I never let my tank go below 1/2 tank. Plus it makes me feel better when it only takes $100 to fill the tank instead of $200. Since I only get 8 MPG, compared to a car, the fuel pump is pumping roughly 3 times the amount of fuel for the same distance or time.

My XM radio helps, I can listen to classic rock, fox news, comedy, NPR, or sports talk depending on my mood.

When driving long distances, we usually find a Walmart to park for the night.

Out west, A lot of Flying J gas stations are spaced about 200 miles, Dallas to Tye, Texas is 195 miles. Then Tye to Pecos, Tx is 235 miles. Then Pecos, TX to El Paso, TX is 211 mile. Then El paso to Lordsburg, NM is 199 miles. Then Lordsburg to Eloy, AZ is 207 miles. Then Pheonix, AZ is only 65 miles top off and dump then Quartzsite 120 miles.

I have driven this route a few times over the past few years it works for me.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
I arrived in Quartzsite today. I am up in the free 14 day area north of town for now. Sprint signal is good, but data speed (throttled Virgin mobile) is really poor. I will do a speed test down at the LTVA tomorrow and see if it is any better. If not, I may ride out the 14 free days here before paying anything. I ended up having to buy a new alternator the other day, just after paying labor to install new rear shocks.. so my budget has a bit of a hole in it this month.
I HATE budgets, Thats why I'm still sitting in Mpls. Although it was 40 above yesterday compared to -35 Below last week
I am following the thread though Thanks for Post's.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #129

My cell data speed is working normally this morning. Maybe the service was having problems.. or it was simply overloaded last night.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #130

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're on Plamosa road now about 2.5 miles from Route 95. We have Verizon and we're getting 3 bars at 4G speed. Haven't found anywhere around Q that has no signal yet. They put up a new tower I heard so....

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #131

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's getting crowded around the LTVA areas close to the tent.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #132

I'm fighting a sinus headache today so it may not be until tomorrow before I actually get down to the show area. :(
Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My daughter and I were going to leave last Tuesday or Wednesday so we could amble along to get there. Well with the snow and my husband not being able to get out, in fact he just left today, we were stuck. I'm also supposed to have 4 new back tires come in Wednesday, yah rah!

I have things to take care of, closing on our Texas house the 16th so I'm planning on leaving the 17th. I don't drive long days either and don't drive after dark so wondering if I will get out there in time to see anything, never been before. I'm thinking at the outside 5 days of driving but hope to narrow that down. Can't remember how long it took us to Vegas few years back. But I'm coming from Indiana also, hope next Tuesday or so won't be to late to arrive. We have no reservations either though I would love to have full hookups too. I like a bath and to do laundry to much!!

Is there someplace close by I could try for a reservation. I never make them but sounds like I ought to.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #134

Ford Super Duty Owner
That will be a good time to arrive. You won't miss any thing.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
My daughter and I were going to leave last Tuesday or Wednesday so we could amble along to get there. Well with the snow and my husband not being able to get out, in fact he just left today, we were stuck. I'm also supposed to have 4 new back tires come in Wednesday, yah rah! I have things to take care of, closing on our Texas house the 16th so I'm planning on leaving the 17th. I don't drive long days either and don't drive after dark so wondering if I will get out there in time to see anything, never been before. I'm thinking at the outside 5 days of driving but hope to narrow that down. Can't remember how long it took us to Vegas few years back. But I'm coming from Indiana also, hope next Tuesday or so won't be to late to arrive. We have no reservations either though I would love to have full hookups too. I like a bath and to do laundry to much!! Is there someplace close by I could try for a reservation. I never make them but sounds like I ought to.
You get there anytime before the 26th you will be just fine. Show still be going on. As to camping I'd guess there might be sites available ??

I don't ever reserve sites. I plan to try and get a FHU site or at least an electric only site when we get there. If not I'll be happy happy happy in the desert. Lol

Russell
Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #136

Forest River Owners Club
we are going to be at the dome rock area with the Freightliner RV Haulers on the 22nd

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quartzsite