Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #57

Freightliner Owners Club
Cubey, ... It was $35 per day FHU. I was able to get 1/18 to 1/23 at Ameri-Can RV Park. After I booked it I received an email from Arizona Sun RV Park and they could accommodate me 1/18 to 1/25, my requested dates, but I already committed to Ameri-Can. I contacted 4 other parks and all were booked. I hope that helps. Travel safe!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppo1 View Post
Cubey, ... It was $35 per day FHU. I was able to get 1/18 to 1/23 at Ameri-Can RV Park. After I booked it I received an email from Arizona Sun RV Park and they could accommodate me 1/18 to 1/25, my requested dates, but I already committed to Ameri-Can. I contacted 4 other parks and all were booked. I hope that helps. Travel safe!
Yeah, forget that. It wouldn't cost me $35 a day in gas to go dump, assuming I did every day (but I wouldn't). $40 covers two weeks at the LTVA. It might be annoying and inconvenient but it won't cost a fortune. It's a LOT easier for me to move around than people with a trailer or huge motorhome.

I have more solar energy than I can store (only 1 battery right now) or even use during the day and I have ample propane capacity.... so water is my only issue.. and I'll just have to make due the best I can for the couple weeks (or less if I really get sick of it) I'm there. Who knows, maybe it won't be a big deal and I'll stay longer than 2 weeks. We'll see!

$35 a day for 3-5 days.. I could buy one of those tow beyond waste water storage tanks and extend having to go dump by several more days. Maybe I could hang it on the ladder when it's empty for transport after... but I hate having more crap I won't use hardly ever again. Maybe I could resell it to somebody for 1/3 or 1/2 of what I paid for it who is staying longer and wishes to have one.

Just better off dumping when I need to every few days though. It won't be a mystery if I need to dump. If I'm almost out of fresh water, it means I need to go dump grey.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
Yeah, forget that. It wouldn't cost me $35 a day in gas to go dump, assuming I did every day (but I wouldn't). $40 covers two weeks at the LTVA. It might be annoying and inconvenient but it won't cost a fortune. It's a LOT easier for me to move around than people with a trailer or huge motorhome.

I have more solar energy than I can store (only 1 battery right now) or even use during the day and I have ample propane capacity.... so water is my only issue.. and I'll just have to make due the best I can for the couple weeks (or less if I really get sick of it) I'm there. Who knows, maybe it won't be a big deal and I'll stay longer than 2 weeks. We'll see!

$35 a day for 3-5 days.. I could buy one of those tow beyond waste water storage tanks and extend having to go dump by several more days. Maybe I could hang it on the ladder when it's empty for transport after... but I hate having more crap I won't use hardly ever again. Maybe I could resell it to somebody for 1/3 or 1/2 of what I paid for it who is staying longer and wishes to have one.

Just better off dumping when I need to every few days though. It won't be a mystery if I need to dump. If I'm almost out of fresh water, it means I need to go dump grey.

I would rather pay $35.00 a day rather than worry if I can or cannot pee or shower.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #60

I dump and fill up every 5 days. That is $30 in fuel and dump fees. i.e. $6 a day. Little cheaper than $35 a day. Plus get to camp with friends. Would have spent more driving back and forth visiting.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
If anyone is looking for a place with sites available try Rice Ranch. They always have a lot available.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I would rather pay $35.00 a day rather than worry if I can or cannot pee or shower.
My toilet is not a problem. It lasts me 7 days as a pee pot only. The LTVA has vault toilets too. I don't mind walking or biking over to one.

I lived in a travel trailer for 6 months in 2008 that had no bathroom at all and no hot water. I had to walk to the RV park's restrooms day and night, rain or shine. I have no problem with walking to the bathroom part time for a couple of weeks. I'm rugged enough. LOL

Hair washing is really the only thing that'll be a bit hard but not impossible. I just have to strictly limit my water usage and dump often. I'll pay the $40/2 weeks and have dump access.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
My toilet is not a problem. It lasts me 7 days as a pee pot only. The LTVA has vault toilets too. I don't mind walking or biking over to one.

I lived in a travel trailer for 6 months in 2008 that had no bathroom at all and no hot water. I had to walk to the RV park's restrooms day and night, rain or shine. I have no problem with walking to the bathroom part time for a couple of weeks. I'm rugged enough. LOL

Hair washing is really the only thing that'll be a bit hard but not impossible. I just have to strictly limit my water usage and dump often. I'll pay the $40/2 weeks and have dump access.
I guess in my opinion, life is to short to try and be so cheap to live in parking lots and free areas just to save a nickel, I would rather stay in my house than live that way, although I could not live in your rv anyways because I like to stand up
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I guess in my opinion, life is to short to try and be so cheap to live in parking lots and free areas just to save a nickel, I would rather stay in my house than live that way, although I could not live in your rv anyways because I like to stand up
You can stand up in mine. It has a dropped floor at the entrance and galley.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
What you travel and camp in all depends on a lot of factors. I currently enjoy a 38' motor home, but I have also enjoyed a long trip in a camper shell I built on a Ford Courier pickup. I have enjoyed back packing and canoeing with a tent. Under all types of camping I was comfortable and had a great time. One of my criteria now is that I can leave my bed made up and I like to have a toilet available in the camper. With those two conditions I could really enjoy traveling and camping in a Class B van.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #66

I don't camp off the grid or boone dock to save money. Maybe some people do. I like more room and to be able to let my dog run and play off the leash. If I was trying to save money I would sell my MH. Some people like to sit in RV parks and some like to get out away from the crowds. We choose to do both. If you ever visit WY in the winter let me know which RV Parks you stayed at. LOL
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #67

Oh, how is the water at the LTVAs? I heard once it wasn't good to drink without being filtered or treated or something. Any truth to that?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have 100 gallons of water, 60 grey and 50 black, not positive on those two.

My issue is going to be if I come, I'm coming from Indiana and I have it all winterized right now. I was thinking if weather permits will drive further north would cut 1000 miles off. If I have to go through Houston we have a place there where I can stop and fill the tanks. I'm not sure if a park owner would appreciate me flushing and filling plus doing laundry while there. Normally I fill at home before I go.

As far as extra water the 4 gallon bottles from Sam's I could use for cooking, would need to flush it all good to be able to use the icemaker too. Of course I won't be able to do laundry while boondocking would fill my tank pretty quick. But just extra clothes will solve that.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #69

It's too bad that Quartzsite lacks the "outdoor showers" that Imperial Dam has. In fact, it's the only LTVA that seems to list having them...
Old 12-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately the Imperial Dam showers are only cold. Over at the recreation area they do have pay showers.

Tags
quartzsite