Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
If you are uncertain about the power plug your computer into a UPS. They are cheap insurance. If you have a laptop, a small portable inverter might give you more dependable power.
I don't think there would be a problem with the Harbor Freight generator, however, most UPS wouldn't help as the lower priced units are by-pass and the AC goes straight through. The battery and inverter only come on with a loss of AC
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #16

not sure what you mean "clean" enough to operate a computer?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to chwhnd
In general generators are good at caring large loads for short periods and inverters are good at caring small loads for long periods. I have 800 watts of solar, 750 AmpHr 24V battery, and a 4Kw 24V Sine Wave inverter. I live 95% off the grid. I have a chest freezer, household refrigerator, 26 inch flat screen, desktop, laptop, satellite, and DVD.
I believe some sort of inverter / generator combination system would probably suite you better.
chwhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #18

Chwhnd, do you run everything off the inverter and solar, including the chest freezer and household refrigerator? I guess you use propane for the stove and water heater, correct? Also did you have to convert to led lighting?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #19

I have seen the little genny's at harbor frieght, Not the best and may run 24 hrs before giving out $99.00 does not buy much genny
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #20

Quartzsite + Clean PC Power

As a former Int'l Laptop Jockey, I would recommend you purchase a +12 VDC Power Supply for your Computer IF it's a Laptop. This HP Lappy needs +18.5 VDC. These Power Supplies clean up power while digitally stepping it up ~50% from +12 VDC. A good one is around $40- and up. This idea isolates functions. The Genny runs 120 VAC items. 'Clean', recharged +12 VDC runs a Laptop.

I have a 400 Watt Cobra Inverter. I plug in and recharge all my Toys while driving: Laptop Battery; Rechargeable Ni Cads for my CB; my Camera Battery; Cellphone and use it for the Coffee Grinder once onsite. Consider doing the same thing while driving around Quartzsite and surrounds...

This ex-Ham is into long range WiFi experimentation. You won't be able to connect on WiFi to Quartzsite, given where the BLM Camping spots are. I, and others, were using Verizon. I don't know that it's Verizon, but there was a temporary Cell Tower set up West of Southern-most BLM Land to help handle increased Cell Traffic. I could 'see' Folks on this Laptop using Verizon 'MiFi' from their Big Rigs, even though their signals were encrypted.

I have a Verizon Broadband Modem. The issue with MiFi, as told to me by a Tech-sharp Verizon Employee, is that it drops signal when your Phone rings. A bummer if you're downloading something... So, I don't have/need/use MiFi because I don't need to connect multiple items to the 'Net via my Cellphone. I have only their lil 'Pez'-sized USB UML290 Modem. It works very well. It obviously has priority within their Cell System. My Data-capable Smart Phone sometimes will not connect to allow Web Browsing, due to high Cell Traffic; especially on 'older' 3G Towers. The dedicated Broadband Modem always connects BUT - clearly - it takes longer during peak Evening usage times.

Remember that Cell Bandwidth is 'x' and finite. So, more Folks on line [including you] - as at Quartzsite - means different connectivity patterns; sometimes degraded.

Quartzsite does get crowded. A noisy Genny won't cut it IMO. I thought I had a nice, isolated spot with my lil TT. Then, a monster Rig pulled in close [unnecessarily]. Two older Couples popped out, carrying on loud enough you'd thought they were all born in Barns. So much for young, loud 'Rowdies' being the only 'problems' there...

Really modest Music volume MIGHT cut it; it all depends on other Groups around you there. If you're somewhat 'noisy', other 'noisy' Groups likely won't mind as much.
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
That's 5 gallons a day =almost $20 a day, and roughly $500 a month. I could stay in an RV park at that price. If you do not have solar panels, I highly recommend them
And that's in addition to buying propane, water from the water truck and paying to have your sewerage hauled off. A CG would be less expensive.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #22

That brings me to another question... how much does it cost for water from the water truck and to have your sewerage hauled off??
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you stay at La Posa South LTVA there is no reason to buy water and waste removal. You can camp as close or as far away from the dump and water fill station as you want. If you want to remain stationary get a Blue Boy to carry your waste and some kind of container to carry water. These are easy to find in Quartzsite. Many partner to share these chores. If you do want to hire it it costs about $25 per fill or dump. There are also dumpsters for trash. La Posa South is the only LTVA with these services, if you stay at one of the others you have to drive to La Posa South to dump or fill.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #24

Angry Watch Yourself With Solar Bills in Quartzite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geojudi59 View Post
I bought my solar panels from Solar Bill's in Quartzsite a couple of years ago.
He has used ones as well as New at a pretty good price. And they did install them on my 5er. I also added 4 T105 batterys,1500w Inverter. Using also my Honda 3000 for the cloudy days. Planing on returning to Q this winter
Am wondering how your system has been for you. Mine from these people was so under designed that I had to go down the street to Solar Discount and spend another $1200 just to get what Solar Bills was suppose to provide. Incompetent? Crooks? Who knows now a days.

LCK
Lckign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #25

We were just in Quartzsite late last month, so I still have the weather there saved on my smartphone. The high today is 99 degrees, and that's not the first time it's already hit the high 90s in western AZ. Stay cool!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #26

I agree with Ed.

Thanks Ed!!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed Jan, Feb 2016 In Q at a RV park.
Went to Yuma and was way happier in Yuma. I'm glad I did it that way now I can say I experienced Q. We will drive up too Q for the day and then back to Yuma. We are going back next fall 3 months earlier and staying a month longer all in Yuma.
102 today in Yuma and at the S&B its 45...

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quartzsite