Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Quartzsite, AZ

Hi all, we are going to boondock in Quartsite this year. I have a freezer and computers i need to run. I have a 5500 watt generator propane on board but also have a little 800-900 harbor freight gas. What do you think about the small freezer and computers will that little one be enough?

Any other advice about Quartzsite? we're new

Many Thanks for your reply's
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

Check how many watts the freezer requires as well as the computers. If total wattage is less than wattage output of your small genset, then it should handle the load.

Good luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
It probably won't power your converter and the appliances. When charging the batteries, the converter isprobably using 800 to 1000 watts.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

Even if the little one would work, is is probably WAY too loud/noisy to maintain friendly relations with those near you, with the worst case outcome being possible sabotage or the noisemaker, or even worse.

All IMHO

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise as you can space yourself far enough from neighbors so that it won't bother them.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Howdy!

I don't recall the the hours but even Quartzsite has set quite time hours on the BLM. So your not going to be able to run a generator 24/7's. We love Quartzsite, and is a great place to learn how to boondock. Just watch and talk to others and learn from them. You will see some very interresting sights out on the BLM.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise as you can space yourself far enough from neighbors so that it won't bother them.
That's true, but getting a mile away is sometimes difficult in Q. Less distance is not adequate.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

When i boondock i use my genny to help charge my batteries (a couple times a day) i also have a couple solar panels, which are a great help. i have an electric fridge which i run off my inverter. i will turn my inverter off in the morning for about 4 hours, it gives it a break and the fridge stays cool. lets say i wanted to run my genny around the clock....even a 900 watt would suck about a gallon of fuel every 5 hours. That's 5 gallons a day =almost $20 a day, and roughly $500 a month. I could stay in an RV park at that price. If you do not have solar panels, I highly recommend them
Old 08-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

We defiantly want to maintain friendly relations with everyone, that's one of the reasons why I pose the questions. I do not believe the small extra freezer needs to be run any more then a few hrs twice a day as long as the door remains closed. Our built in refrigerator/freezer can run on propane so no problem with that. However, we are addicted to and work a little from the internet and can adjust those power needs to please others (not to run during quite time of course).

Solar is a definite need for me and want to DIY but the expense is still in the way at the moment, generator rich and solar poor :(

Also I need to find a clear line of sight towards the city to ensure wifi signals, so I guess I need to get parked early so that i can find the right spot?

Another question... (I hope this is the right place to post) I play music sometimes and sing a wide verity- 40's-70's entertainment with slightly amplified system... I have heard there alot of other music folks who boondock there. Anyone have any ideas or info about this?

Don't mean to ask so many questions- but do look forward to your suggestions. We are completely new to 5th wheeling full time and want to make many new friends and acquaintances from around the country...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't count on getting WiFi from Quartzsite on the BLM land. Verizon works well. I don't think you would find using your generator a problem. There are a lot of jam sessions, especially in La Posa South.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Solar doesn't have to be megabucks expensive. With gas and propane so pricey, the set-up below could pay for itself pretty quick.

Amazon.com: 272 Watts Solar Battery Charger Kit for 12V batteries. Flexible Solar Panels PV Laminate, Charge Controller & MC Cables: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I paid $1200 for the above system, which is now only $785. Just my luck! You'll need another $100 worth of extra hardware, but it is an easy DIY solar set up that works well for me.

Handy Bob is the boondocker's solar guru. Read this and email him with any questions. He helped me get mine working right.

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog

I hope to spend part of next winter at Quartzsite. *
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar

I bought my solar panels from Solar Bill's in Quartzsite a couple of years ago.
He has used ones as well as New at a pretty good price. And they did install them on my 5er. I also added 4 T105 batterys,1500w Inverter. Using also my Honda 3000 for the cloudy days. Planing on returning to Q this winter
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Is the Harbor Freight generator electricity "clean" enough to operate a computer???
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Is the Harbor Freight generator electricity "clean" enough to operate a computer???
If you are uncertain about the power plug your computer into a UPS. They are cheap insurance. If you have a laptop, a small portable inverter might give you more dependable power.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quartzsite