Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Questions????

We have a 2006 Coachmen Cross Country and when we are "boondocking" we really only use the lights, tv, and satelite or DVD player. My first question is since we are prob due to replace our coach batteries which brand is best? What size should I get? And I guess the final question is do I need to add anything else to make the TV loads any easier on the batteries like maybe one of those battery backups for a computer? We use our generator alot to run the ac or to keep the fan running on the furnance as the furnance fan seems to drain the battery quick. Just asking you guys are all so great and thanks in advance for the help.
motofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm no expert but a few years ago when I had a similar problem of quick battery discharge in our TT I was told to replace the single 12 volt battery we had with two 6 volt batteries in series and since doing that we have actually been a week at a time between charges, albeit not while using the TV.

I have since moved to a MH and have installed two 6 volt there as well and with a tad of work I will be able to install two more to double the time it takes to drain the batteries down. Some units may not have the space available to install 4 batteries but we were lucky this time.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofamily View Post
We have a 2006 Coachmen Cross Country and when we are "boondocking" we really only use the lights, tv, and satelite or DVD player. My first question is since we are prob due to replace our coach batteries which brand is best? What size should I get? And I guess the final question is do I need to add anything else to make the TV loads any easier on the batteries like maybe one of those battery backups for a computer? We use our generator alot to run the ac or to keep the fan running on the furnance as the furnance fan seems to drain the battery quick. Just asking you guys are all so great and thanks in advance for the help.
it depends on how much room you have and how much money you want to spend on batteries.
imo the best batteries are lifeline agm batteries. kinda expensive though. agm batteries don't need to be installed top side up. mine are installed on their sides. i went from less than 200 ah capacity to 300 ah capacity just by replacing the batteries. lifelines will last 10 years, so the up front cost is somewhat amortized. i got mine from bd batteries online. check my previous posts for pictures of my installation.
check these references:

Batteries -- and Other Electric Stuff by phred

RV Batteries

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the Sam's Club GC2 golf cart batteries. I have two from Sam's Club and two Trojans. I can't see any difference and the Sam's Club batteries can be replaced under warranty over the whole country. The sam's Club batteries also cost about half of what the Trojans cost.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I went back and forth recently on whether to go the AGM route or take the other extreme and buy Walmart batteries. Although I'd really like to have the AGMs, I don't need their mounting features and decided other toys would take priority.

I bought Walmart's top of the line MAX Start (I believe it's called) Marine/RV combined deep cycle and starting battery and have been very happy with them so far... however we don't do much dry camping at all. They offer free replacement in the first 18 months and I like the idea of having stores all over the country to service the wty... same with Costco.

Good luck...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote