Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Reed Cundiff
Boondocking is possible anywhere, (even in a RV park if you don't connect to water sewer and electric).

Finding a good boondocking location is a little more difficult.

Mel
'96 Safari

That just about sums it up for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #16

Mel

The West has one heck of a lot of great boondocking sites on BLM land, much of it on Taylor Grazing land. Just pay attention to the protocol and do not set up within 200 yards or so of water troughs etc and things go well. The ranchers have to put up with a lot of yahoos that leave gates open and shoot up their windmills (many are going to solar water pumps) and water troughs. We have boondocked in NM, AZ, CO, ID, WY, UT, MT, OR, and WA. We were at a site two months ago about 3 miles from the Gila Box in NM (saw a pack of Coatamundis right near the river). We were there for a week and saw one rancher.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
I prefer the "...RV Camping defines boondocking as remote location "dispersed camping", and the term "dispersed camping" is defined as "camping outside developed .." "
Reed

You say "to-may-toe and I say to-mah-toe"....
I too prefer "dispersed camping", (but we often "boondock" at other locations).
BTW, we occasionally "moochdock".... which is boondocking for free in someones driveway, (with or without electricity).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #18

Mel - we have three kids who live in Las Cruces, NM, in mountains above Las Vegas, NM and in Fort Collins, CO (all off I-25). They each have a place for us to park in their yards. So we are quite familiar with "Moochdocking". Having our own place to sleep and be by ourselves means we are not as intrusive as we might be. It makes for great family times. All of them have spent time with us when we actually have gone boondocking in WY, CO, NM and on the beach in Yucatan (the last is an RV spot with spotty electricity and sewage but our favorite place to spend the winter - you purchase drinking water in 20 liter containers). Had 4 of them sleeping in tents on the sand but all of us spending time in the 5th wheel.
Reed and Elaine
Old 06-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #19

Personally I think the term boondocking pertains to being in the boondocks which by nature has no hookups because it's in the boonies. So if you've been boondocking you were camping in the boondocks.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Personally I think the term boondocking pertains to being in the boondocks which by nature has no hookups because it's in the boonies. So if you've been boondocking you were camping in the boondocks.
Fl_Richard
IMO since there is NO official definition of boondocking there is no right or wrong definition ...to each his own.
I do agree that if one is camping IN the boonies they are most certainly boondooking....(there's no other choice).
As I explained in an earlier post, I often boondock, (my personal definition of camping without hookups ), in areas that are not IN the boonies, (which I imagine you define as dry camping).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #21

Reed and Elaine, I am a newbie and currently living overseas. I am planning to come home buy an RV and want to travel for a full 6 mos before settling in to my house in St Pete Florida. I also want to spend time with my ailing Dad and visit my children and grand children. I will want to "moochdock" in their driveways so I have my own place and 3 dogs that won't inconvience anyone. My question is can you plug your RV in a house to get electricity and water? Thanks for any advice. Tom
Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #22

Tom - you can plug into a home's 110 using an adapter for 15 amp. Our older son (a licensed master electrician among other things) has put in 30 amp plugs at our daughter's and younger son's homes for us. Older son is off grid with solar. Water is no problem with a long hose. Some residential areas permit using gray water for yard irrigation. The problem is what to do with black water. We do use the kid's bathrooms. Older son has a sewer dump station for us next to pad they put together for us. Would suggest a smaller trailer for moot docking, something that will fit in driveway and not block traffic in street - aka being somewhat non obtrusive. Enjoy your family and the trip
Reed and Elaine
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have some wonderful places to boondock in an Aliner, unfortunately they are not in your neighborhood. I think this is the first post I've seen from an Aliner owner. We had one for years and loved it. Had it all set up for boondocking with solar and a Honda 2000 genny. Even spend a month traveling throughout AZ one year. You know you love someone when you can spend a month together in an Aliner and never have any arguments .

Don't miss out on the freedom of taking your Aliner anywhere your mood takes you. Take a long weekend and head to NM or CO, lots of places to boondock. Here is one of our secluded campsites along a creek way up some pretty gnarly trails near Cripple Creek, CO.

Tags
boondocking