Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Recycle gray water!

Hello, fellow boondockers! I am asking if anyone has consider or installed the Recycle RV Grey Water Kit? This diverts the grey water from showers and sink water and filters it for toilet use. Any information and ideas are appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Looking at the diagram on this page:
Recycle RV Grey Water kit - Valve switch assembled
I'm not sure I'd want to have a pump that pushes water through a filter and into the toilet only kept out of the rest of your plumbing system by a check valve, and a 3 way valve. In addition, grey water can smell worse than black water and I'm not in favor of pumping it back into the RV. The kit price starts at over $270, you could buy a tote or a rubber bladder to take your liquids to a dump station. How many flushes can you get from a shower's worth of water? You could arrange a curtain around the outside shower and let the water flow onto the ground too. Just seems like a complicated, expensive solution to an issue that can be dealt with in much cheaper ways.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Looking at the diagram on this page:
Recycle RV Grey Water kit - Valve switch assembled
I'm not sure I'd want to have a pump that pushes water through a filter and into the toilet only kept out of the rest of your plumbing system by a check valve, and a 3 way valve. In addition, grey water can smell worse than black water and I'm not in favor of pumping it back into the RV. The kit price starts at over $270, you could buy a tote or a rubber bladder to take your liquids to a dump station. How many flushes can you get from a shower's worth of water? You could arrange a curtain around the outside shower and let the water flow onto the ground too. Just seems like a complicated, expensive solution to an issue that can be dealt with in much cheaper ways.

Thank you Bob, for that being said that helps myself and my wife with the learning process of enjoying the RVing (boon docking ) experience. For myself & my wife which is waiting to retire an enjoy the lifestyle. This information clears up a lot of wondering and trying before failing.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I fully intend on putting one of the USI-RV grey water reuse systems on my RV. I agree there are 'easier' and cheaper ways of accomplishing the same thing, but those methods don't match up well with our express tourism style of travel. We're rarely in one place for more than a day, and I'd LOVED to not use fresh water to flush the toilet.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycoach2 View Post
I fully intend on putting one of the USI-RV grey water reuse systems on my RV. I agree there are 'easier' and cheaper ways of accomplishing the same thing, but those methods don't match up well with our express tourism style of travel. We're rarely in one place for more than a day, and I'd LOVED to not use fresh water to flush the toilet.
Bodycoach2, that was the idea I was getting at. Would you be so kind and keep me updated on how you progress with the USI-RV. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I'm going to do it too, just saw the site for ordering one. way cool idea. I boondock quite a lot. so this is for me. K.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have you smelled the grey water? Ew.... I wouldn't want it sitting in my toilet bowl. We had a vent issue in our bathroom and we were sure it was the black tank it stunk so bad. Nope, was the grey water tank.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I'm sorry, but I would like to know how long You are Boondocking at a time and do You need that many shower’s to warrant such a system?
Please don't be upset with me as I don't mean to be wise. I have Boondocked back in the 80's with 8 plus kids in a 18' TT, and did not require such a system. Yes we were clean.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #9

Wait until the grease from the kitchen plugs up the valves and filters.

FWIW It's worth using potable water to flush the toilet just to avoid needing to tear it down because the valve got plugged. They do get plugged and sometimes plugged open so they leak the flush water over the rim on to the floor. At least with fresh water it's "clean" water.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
This proves again how this and other forums benefit us newbies from learning the hard way of boondocking, and everyday RVing. To answer the questions asked from you very nice people. My thoughts of carrying portable fresh water(collapse able pillow type tank) in the toad that should amount to the same gallons of the fresh water tank on the coach. When I saw that recycle kit it sounded good but you have given some great reasons not to go with the kit. I thought the filter in the kit would eliminate much of the smell and grease from the gray water, but would not be able to remove all.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #11

FWIW if your towed is a P/u and you carry a bladder in the bed the worst that happens is that it rains in the bed. OTOH if you have an enclosed towed when the bladder fails it will rain in the towed. Just something to keep in mind. ;-)
Old 01-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I am with you, Northermark. I plan to pull a 08 Tahoe that I will build a compartment around and lined for putting other items on top of and around this bladder. With the concern of weight I will fill and carry only when boondocking.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1958 View Post
This proves again how this and other forums benefit us newbies from learning the hard way of boondocking, and everyday RVing. To answer the questions asked from you very nice people. My thoughts of carrying portable fresh water(collapse able pillow type tank) in the toad that should amount to the same gallons of the fresh water tank on the coach. When I saw that recycle kit it sounded good but you have given some great reasons not to go with the kit. I thought the filter in the kit would eliminate much of the smell and grease from the gray water, but would not be able to remove all.
When I have the kit installed, I have no intention of ever flushing with fresh water again, so there won't be an issue with 'backwash'. I've never had a problem with 'grease smell' from gray water (probably because of lack of grease going down my drains). All pots, pans, and plates are wiped with toilet paper before being washed, and dogs lick off whats left. My intention is to save water even when hooked up in campgrounds. It will require a separate pump, but we have enough space with that.

Where it's legal, I'll use the gray-cap.com system, or trickle the water into a gray water evaporation pond.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycoach2 View Post
When I have the kit installed, I have no intention of ever flushing with fresh water again, so there won't be an issue with 'backwash'. I've never had a problem with 'grease smell' from gray water (probably because of lack of grease going down my drains). All pots, pans, and plates are wiped with toilet paper before being washed, and dogs lick off whats left. My intention is to save water even when hooked up in campgrounds. It will require a separate pump, but we have enough space with that.

Where it's legal, I'll use the gray-cap.com system, or trickle the water into a gray water evaporation pond.
That is my idea also bodycoach. Will you add more filters to this application?
When you complete your installation could you share some pics of the install if possible. I have not heard of the gray-cap system! A awesome way to recycle the gray water, like you said if it is legal.

Tags
water