RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
clt

Refilling water?

Hi all,
I'm new to RVing, have a few long trips I'm planning in my van coming up soon (only done short stints so far).
I've only got fresh and gray water tanks, no black water, so theoretically while boondocking I could dig a hole for gray water disposal (no toxic soaps of course) and not have to worry too much about dump stations.
My question is about fresh water filling. If I'm not in a campground, where might I refill my water tank? I've been scoping out gas stations while out and about, and as far as I can tell they don't usually have water hoses. I'm not terribly concerned about potability as I use a travel Berkey filter for anything I drink.
Any tips or tricks?
Thanks!

clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
You might find some here, here and here;

https://rvdumpsites.net

https://www.rvdumps.com

https://www.sanidumps.com

Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Might want to check LAWS about dumping grey water.
Illegal in many states to do so....

No black tank so no toilet?
Hummmmmmmmmm
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

We've often filled at rest areas, Flying J's, and other service stations. Usually, welcome center rest areas will have water and sometimes dump stations, and in some states most rest areas will. Most flying J's will also provide water. If "potable water" is not marked at a hose outside I sometimes go inside and ask, but this is nearly always after filling with fuel.

If boondocking, many wilderness type campgrounds will at least have a hand pump, if you can fill that way. One of my bow hunting friends carried several 5 gal.? containers that he would fill and pour into his trailer. I would always just make a 2 hour round trip "town run" about every week or so to dump, fill, and get groceries, etc. as needed.

Best of luck.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I only know that on federal lands that allow grey water dumping, it cannot have gone through your tanks. It's recommended that you disperse the gray water and far away from any natural water sources.

I'd like to suggest that the word "toxic" is very misused. Toxicity has to do with the dose. If you're using soap and dumping the water on the ground, it's toxic to something.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clt View Post
I've only got fresh and gray water tanks, no black water, so theoretically while boondocking I could dig a hole for gray water disposal (no toxic soaps of course) and not have to worry too much about dump stations.
Ah.... "theoretically", "environmentally" AND "legally" --> NO YOU CAN'T !
It's ILLEGAL !
Remember the "Pack it in, Pack it out!" sign, that includes any waste water.
This is from the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service site.
But EVERY State or Private park it will get you ticketed AND Tossed OUT! also.
"If there is no specifically identified facility in a campground for emptying holding tanks, campers must keep the material in the tanks until they can locate an appropriate dump station. It is illegal to dump these materials on Forest Service lands at any location other than in a specifically identified dump facility, and tickets will be issued to violators."
Offfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

Our first TC that we bought in the late '70's was a '72 Security. It had a 15 gal black tank, but no grey. Apparently at that time it was legal to run grey water on the ground. However, I bought a 20 gal portable tank that I carried with us for grey water. Later I replaced the 15 gal tank with a 40 gal tank that both black and grey went into.

For the later part of our "tenting" I bought a porta-potty, mostly because some fisher-people came by while my wife was doing her thing in the woods near the tent. At that point it was not an "option". This was not in a campground, but in the woods along the Deschutes River in the mid '70's.

Some of your options could be a porta-potty and portable grey tank. Both are a pita in my opinion, but they worked for us for several years.

Steve

Old 04-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Plenty of nannies here. Sheesh.

Some areas have lead in the water, others have arsine and so on. Your filter may not be helping. I use the coin operated Glacier water dispensers and not only drink that water, but shower and cook with it too.

It takes a bit of effort to transport the jugs and patience filling them. If you camp in Nevada and get water in a small town, there is arsin in that water. Only reverse-osmosis can filter it.

Small towns do not have budget to treat the water and the EPA looks the other way. Most of the USA actually has poor water quality and we deserve better. Much better. We should be getting nourishment from water, not varying poisons depending on where we go.
diginomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
clt

Thanks!

This forum is great, thank you.

I had read that digging a hole for gray water was ok, I'm grateful to know that it's not. I get that some people are passionate, but shouting with caps isn't necessary. I'll read and take in all info. I realize I'm ignorant in many things in this world, I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and experience.

I've bookmarked recommended links and have a better idea of how to make my trips work (without a toilet, yes! Don't worry, I have a system and it's legal and sanitary)

Cheers, and happy camping!
clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #10

Other places you might get potable water are day use areas and some ranger stations. I carry a foldable bucket and a funnel so I can gravity feed my water tank. And a flat drinking water only hose to fill from hose connections. I also have but have never used a water bandit https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-22484...s%2C225&sr=8-5
knit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #11

You can probably wash dishes in a pan with appropriate soap and dump it since tent campers are generally permitted to do such.

You can probably also do outdoor showers or washups.

Most holding tanks utilize the same outlet so that grey water will have effluvia from the black water tank

In Mexico we only use purified water which are purchased in 20 l garrafones. The water pump on our fifth wheel will fill tanks by setting valves properly. We carry extra pump in our Roadtrek to transfer water.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #12

Not all dump stations have water. Remember someone used the spigot to rinse out there black hose after dumping, figuring it was OK. And for those reasons your point is good. In Newfoundland I depended on the locals to get water, often from a private home. Churches, Elks, Visitor Centers, RV parks, all have water. All you have to do is ask and for some reason people hate to ask. The worse they can say is NO. I carry a lot of hose and containers. Finding water has never been an issue in 15 years of boondocking. Be creative!!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #13

The trick is saving water. Never flush with fresh water. Catch the water while the shower heats up. There are a lot of ways to save water. And according to the AZ BLM rangers gray water is ONLY the water that resided in the Gray Tank.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #14

When filling from a potable water hose connector that is anywhere near the dump station I am always directed by DW to wash the connection with dish soap before using it. This is also true for most potable fresh water connectors, but especially near a dump station.

We use a lot of plastic eating utensils, paper plates, bowls, etc. which saves the water (and time) that would be used washing dishes. Occasionally there is a cooking utensil that has to be washed, but that's about it.

Steve

Tags
water