Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #1

Question Remote stop for Honda generator

I have a diesel generator in my motorhome but we use a honda EU2000i to run the TV at night because it is quieter and lower cost to run. The only problem is stopping the engine when we are ready for bed.
I have not seen a remote stop on the market. looking for suggestions on how I can build one.
george85643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A well placed shot from a 45cal should do the job. Make sure you have a clean shot from your window.

I am so sorry, I just couldn't help myself !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #3

A well placed shot from my Taurus Judge would would do the trick but those 45 lc bullets are soo darn expensive
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your right, that Taurus would shut anything down !
What you are trying to do with the Honda is a good idea. I have a 2000 and do the same thing with it. it would be nice if you could shut it down without having to run outside in your tight whites and have the women in the area swooning. Hopefully someone has devised such a device and has the real answer. I will also give it some deep thought and see if I can get creative.

Chuck
Old 09-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
IF::: you're handy with wiring, why not put a remote ground wire up into the coach?
When you push the kill or stop switch it closes the ground into the ignition and stops the generator. This is the same as any magneto engine would use.With it being a ground wire you won't have to worry about anything shorting out and causing an electrical problem. A simple push type switch should work or a flip type. It would work the same as the stop switch on the coach generator. Just kill the ignition.If you go this route, I suggest a Dry Run before running the wire up into the coach. One wire to the chassis frame- the other to the engine side of the OEM stop switch.
Safe journeys
p.s. 40 & 45 cal.are usually fatal -be hard to revive the next time.(only kidding)
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #6

thanks skipwill, I think you are on the right track
Old 09-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about this: Have you seen those remote plug in devices that let you turn a light on or off with a remote. You plug the remote into your generator then into the remote female recepticle you wire a plug that has one wire to a ground on the generater and the other wire from the magneto. You hit the remote and the swtch turns on and completes the ground and stops the mighty 2000. Whew, I need an asprin. I got the remote from Costco and didn't know what do do with it. It just seemed like a good idea when I got it. Now I have a use for it !!!

Thanks Skipweil for the kill button idea.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I know it is not "good" for a generator to be shut down with a load on it BUT I live off grid and have solar power to meet most electrical needs but not enough power to run a window air conditioner. Sometimes in the late afternoon when it starts getting warm in the house I put a quart of gasoline in my 3500 generator and start it up and turn on the air conditioner. A couple of hours later it shuts down (runs out of gas). I would presume you are not really loading your Honda 2000 and could use a similar method without harming the engine. You could add a pint or other measured portion of gasoline and then note the time you start it and when it runs out of gas. If that works for you then you adjust the amount of fuel you put in your generator to meet your needs.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #9

How about this: Remote start a Honda Generator if you want to go hi-tech.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's pretty trick. I have a Rigid 7900K Genset that has a removable control panel but what it lacks is a choke feature for cold starts. It's great for shuting down and restarting when it's warm but first thing in the morning I have to manually choke it. I use this genset when we lose power up here in the hills for my house.
Thanks for posting that link.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Honda Wireless Remote shutoff kill switch

Check out this remote
https://utahvalleyproducts.com
Mountaincamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #12

How about a 10' piece of pvc with a slot and maybe a clamp on the end to attach it to the switch. Just open the window and twist.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That will work for the electric start eu3000.

The OP has a eu2000 pull start generator.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
The green wire inside is the fuel pump wire.....put a remote switch of your choice on it.....
The eu2000i uses a vacuum type fuel pump. It has no wires.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, honda, generator