RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:25 AM   #43
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced the 6 cu ft Dometic with a 9.1 cu ft Nova Kool last summer. Fit into the same cabinet. NK is a 12 Volt DC Dan Foss compressor fridge. I boondock year round. It uses 5.2 amps and has a battery saver feature. It won’t draw the batteries down past the point where the generator won’t start. I only have 2 golf cart batteries and 472 watts of solar. It may stop running about 4 am but by the time we're up the sun has it running again.

One of the best advantages is that I no longer have to be paranoid about being level. Being out of level won’t damage the cooling unit. Personally I think it has the best features of an RV and residential fridge combined. And no inverter required.

Nova Kool RFU9000 9.1 CU FT DC Only Two Door Refrigerator & Freezer

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
...NK is a 12 Volt DC Dan Foss compressor fridge. ...
Sounds like it works well for you. A little pricey, but still cheaper than an LP/Elec unit and freedom from level is a great feature of compressor units.

Just to set the record straight, a Danfoss is actually a two speed, AC compressor that comes with its own built in inverter. For an extra $100 or so you can get the same unit that offers both DC and AC connections. > 20 cu ft residential units draw 90 watts average so I bet your Danfoss draws less than 65 watts average over a 24 hour period.

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #45
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Sounds like it works well for you. A little pricey, but still cheaper than an LP/Elec unit and freedom from level is a great feature of compressor units.

Just to set the record straight, a Danfoss is actually a two speed, AC compressor that comes with its own built in inverter. For an extra $100 or so you can get the same unit that offers both DC and AC connections. > 20 cu ft residential units draw 90 watts average so I bet your Danfoss draws less than 65 watts average over a 24 hour period.
They were originally designed for marine use so it has safety latches built into the door hinges for travel that are also monkey proof. No more bungee cords holding the doors closed.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Also suck a lot more power
Might want to check that - mine uses much less!
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #47

Foretravel Owners Club
Our Sammy 18 replaced a Damnetic 1492.. power draw (with ice maker turned off) uses a bit less than the absorption .With ice maker turned on.. uses a bit more power.
I have a gen set, And I have no issues using it..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #48

After reading all these posts, I have to add one thing. I ave a NORCOLD side by side in my Zephyr and made the mistake of replacing it when it went bad with another just like it, at a cost of $4100. I could not see how a home fridge would work, but I was very wrong. Now 1.5 years into the new one I have had several problems with the ice maker as well as shutting down for no reason. Getting into Camping World is a non issue in an emergency, especially for warranty work.. Fridge does not freeze ice cream at all. Love my coach but would advise against replacement with other than a house fridge. Don't make my mistake.
Zephyrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #49

Thanks for the "long winded" summary.

I like the one about the dog.

"I don’t know if you know this... if your dog were to sleep with their butt near the LP detector..and have gas during the night...you will be awakened by the horrible alarm. Not a problem in our all-electric unit."
I have heard a lot of jokes blaming the dog for peoples farts, but this one is a new one.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #50

Danfoss Refrigerator

Ok, now I am more educated. A "Danfoss refrigerator" is not a Danfoss brand refrigerator. It is a refrigerator with a Danfoss brand compressor in it. See this link for a long explanation of it.
http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/...nd-a-few-tips/
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #51
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The bottom line - There are 2 advantages to a DC compressor unit vs an ammonia absorption fridge - increased capacity in the same space and not being damaged by out of level parking.

The advantages over a residential unit are lower energy use, they are designed to be in moving vehicles (door latches and cabinet mounts), often no carpentry involved and you don’t void the warranty by putting one in your RV.

A residential is larger capacity and cheaper. If you don’t boondock, I'd say choose a residential. If you do a DC compressor unit beats ammonia.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #52

With our Residential fridge which we love we can get about two days on batteries and then have to recharge.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #53
Community Moderator

Every so often I feel the pain when I read reports like this Camey's Last Ride...... Knowing the RV fridge is a real threat, people are still hesitant to change it over...
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If you could get a 20 cuft Danfoss it would use 180AH/24 hours...from their info. My 21 EnergyStar Whirlpool uses 9 amps (measured before the inverter) and runs 11hours/day...99AH. Why would I settle for a smaller refer that uses more power??? A Danfoss cooled refrigerator is good for boondocking but a residential is not???

The Danfoss compressor is a 20 year old design. A lot has changed in 20 years with EnergyStar refrigerators.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #55
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 9.1 cu ft fridge uses 5.2 amps according to my Trimetric battery monitor. It runs less than 20% of the time. That works out to 25 amp hours per day. Since most of the power is used during the day, my solar panels replace much of those amps used rather than the charge controller discarding them as excess.

My math says a 20 cu ft would use ~ 55 amp hours/day. So which of us is better at math?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
My 9.1 cu ft fridge uses 5.2 amps according to my Trimetric battery monitor. It runs less than 20% of the time. That works out to 25 amp hours per day. Since most of the power is used during the day, my solar panels replace much of those amps used rather than the charge controller discarding them as excess.
My math says a 20 cu ft would use ~ 55 amp hours/day. So which of us is better at math?
It’s not a math question, it’s a AH/day question. I went to the Danfoss website and used their graph that only went to 10 cuft and 90 AH/day so I doubled the #s as the graph was fairly linear at the larger sizes.
I did not know that a Trimetric had a KW feature...AHs used over time. You might want to put a KW meter on it since it’s so quiet you can’t always tell when it’s running with the variable speed compressor...or so their website says. 20% of the time

I agree that a Danfoss is a better option in the small sizes as the apartment size 120V units are not EnergyStar rated.

PS: before going residential I researched the “great” Danfoss compressors and between the small size, large $$, and not great power #s I opted for a PSW inverter and a EnergyStar refrigerator giving me more size for less $$ since we dry camp a fair amount:

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator