RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Residential Refrigerator

IF you donít have solar, is it possible to run a residential refrigerator on battery, generator, Inverter or HOW would you.? Thx

cln56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Going to depend on how much battery power you have, age of the batteries, how much other power you are using, the size of your solar, etc.

We are able to stay overnight with the batteries we have without dropping below 12.2 volts. That includes running the furnace, some lights, etc. However when the coffee pot is plugged in the next morning the auto gen comes on almost immediately.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #3

If you have a large enough PSW inverter it will be no problem running the fridge while going down the road. And a fridge will stay cold for quite a long time if the door isn't opened frequently. So feasibly before going to bed at night you could run your genny to cool down the fridge. Then hitting the road the next day the inverter will pick up the slack. BUT, if your boondocking, that's a whole different kettle of fish.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All depends on the size of the refer. You don’t say the size or brand of rv you drive so can’t even guess. Or size of your battery bank.
My 10.5 cf refer and other minor stuff use about 100ah per day, if you have 4 golf cart batteries you have 200 ah to use to get down to 50% state of charge, so you could go 2 days on batteries only, after that the generator has to be run.
If refer is 120 volt, there are 12 volt dc out there, you will need a inverter of the appropriate size, and a generator. If you have these you are good to go.
My Whirpool cost $380, fit in the same opening and has over 25% more capacity, and the ice cream stays hard!

All depends on your camping style, works for us.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

We have 4 6v batteries and with the inverter we can run the fridge for two days and about the same as the other post regarding overnight. One night with heat and time for the generator. Hydronic heating takes quite a bit of 12v power to run if it is fairly cool out.

18 cu ft residential fridge with bottom freezer.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
With my OEM four 6 volts, which are junk and will be replaced soon, and my Samsung RF-18 I'm happy if I if I can get overnight during the cooler weather when the heat kicks on a few times. That is just a few lights with no TV cause one popular place we go has no OTA service.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cln56 View Post
IF you donít have solar, is it possible to run a residential refrigerator on battery, generator, Inverter or HOW would you.? Thx
The residential fridge takes 120v ac power. They are normally run off an inverter.

The inverter runs off the battery.

The batteries can be recharged by one of a few methods...

Shore power thru converter

Generator Power thru converter

Solar thru solar charge controller

Alternator (engine on motorhome) if a bi-directional relay is used. These relays for example would allow the alternator to first charge the chassis battery...and then tie into the house to charge those batteries. Likewise, with the engine not running, but shore power plugged in...the house batteries would charge first then tie to the chassis batteries to charge them.

Some Inverters have built in chargers...so they can accept shore or generator power as supplied thru a transfer switch. If ac power is available, it is used to run the charger section to recharge batteries, and ac power is passed thru to your circuits that normally would be powered by the inverter when running on battery power alone.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

,,,,,with a std RR like an 18-20 CF Samsung, you can do fine without solar over night and on the road, BUT you need a min of 4 six volt and six would be better....usually requires 2 hrs genset time in am and another 2 hrs in pm to recover batteries….If you do much dry camping, you will eventually want to get some solar, eg, 600watts of solar and 660 amp/hours of battery is a good minimum but you still need some genset time each day, eg, 2 hrs. The key is not just the RR but what else you want to run on 12volts each night--furnace, TV, lights, etc......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #9

I must be a wierdo....personally I don't want Residential Fridge. It's only my wife and me and about a 12 cf is perfect. I like the electric/lp models. It's just me.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I must be a wierdo....personally I don't want Residential Fridge. It's only my wife and me and about a 12 cf is perfect. I like the electric/lp models. It's just me.
WOW, you and me both. The only time my fridge was to small we were Pacific Halibut fishing. After using food saver we used every inch full. But over all its perfect fof me and my wife.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not weird, if your 14 year old rv refer has issues, door hinge broken twice, door seals leak, are you going to spend money on that old a refer? Or buy a new rv refer? Estimate to replace ours was $2300, replacement rr cost $380! Our MSW inverter and 4 GC batteries can run it for 2 days, then charge. Driving to next site will charge them, if you don’t want to run gen.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
WOW, you and me both. The only time my fridge was to small we were Pacific Halibut fishing. After using food saver we used every inch full. But over all its perfect for me and my wife.
Wow, reading this thread ... some of you with 10 cf on-up RV refrigs must have to live "High On the Hog"!

Our ~13 year old 6.3 cf electric/propane refrig is plenty large enough for the DW and myself on RV trips.

It still cools superbly in all outside temperatures and can keep ice cream useably soft (the way we like it), or struggle-to-scoop hard - depending upon what setting we use on it's coldness control.

I would repair/replace such things as it's hinges and door seals - if needed to keep it going - and we especially like that's it's duel powered - A/C electric only, or DC electric with propane.

We like to be completely independent on RV trips - so we're not into trusting the sun. Instead we have two generators, a big engine alternator, plenty of propane, and fast charging AGM coach batteries.

Flexibility and backup options are important to us for reliable drycamping.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #13

I have a sincere question for the folks that truly like and want a Residential Fridge.

What is it "exactly" that you like or get out of a Residential Fridge that you can't get out of an Electric/Lp gas fridge??? I really am interested in the answer as my wife are probably buying a new(er) Fifth Wheel within 6 months.

Thank you...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I have a sincere question for the folks that truly like and want a Residential Fridge.

What is it "exactly" that you like or get out of a Residential Fridge that you can't get out of an Electric/Lp gas fridge??? I really am interested in the answer as my wife are probably buying a new(er) Fifth Wheel within 6 months.

Thank you...
As you may know...dometic fridges use a solution of ammonia, a rust inhibitor such as zinc sulphate, and a gas...Hydrogen. They use either an electric element or gas flame to perpetuate the dometic cycle. They are susceptible to clogging if not leveled properly...and if the tubing leaks the hydrogen gas, near open flame...your RV...and pets, if you take them along...can burn to the ground. This does occur, although not so frequently that they are pulled from the marketplace. Other than that....itís an amazing device and works very well for most people.

When moving from a 5th wheel to a motorhome, we decided to go ďall electricĒ. We do not have a propane tank. This was a serious departure for us...because we, as many folks have, were raised on Propane powered rigs. Now we have batteries galore, and an inverter...generator and solar to keep them charged up. I actually LOVE our residential fridge. It is efficient...and huge compared to our previous dometic unit. We also are free from the LP gas detector now...since we donít carry propane. I donít know if you know this... if your dog were to sleep with their butt near the LP detector..and have gas during the night...you will be awakened by the horrible alarm. Not a problem in our all-electric unit.

I also enjoy being able to meet all of our needs at one time by filling with diesel. Diesel powers our drive train, oasis system for heat and hot water when not connected to shore power, and can run our generator. Our previous rig was pretty good on propane for the fridge, hot water, and stove/oven...but it blew thru the gas really quickly on furnace. We also had some nights we awoke to really cold temperatures...because the gas furnace got blown out by windy conditions, which aligned with the exhaust from the furnace. Most of the time, this wasnít a big deal...but itís not a consideration for us now.

We actually have beer in our residential fridge...our dometic fridge was so small, we carried a separate cooler with ice to hold our beer...and I would have to ask my wife to help me find stuff in the fridge, as stuff was so packed and stacked, it made finding things a hassle.

I do not discount at all the benefits of having a dometic fridge. Either way you go...you have to take care of something...filling a propane tank, or monitoring a lot more batteries. So, give or take there.

These are just our observations...there isnít a winner between the two. Either way...having a fridge in the wilderness is a very nice luxury. And they both allow you to keep foods fresh and safe to eat for an extended period. It really boils down to what you like the best.

I added solar to our rig...which sufficiently meets the electrical loads of our residential fridge. We keep it running 365 days a year.

I would think if your new fifth wheel has a fuel tank and generator or you add sufficient solar to it...an inverter and residential fridge would be a player. Otherwise...the dometic fridge and propane will be a better fit.

I also think that people who really love to cook...enjoy having the control a gas cooktop gives you. We have an induction cooktop, which requires special cookware...and Weíre just not as familiar with it as we were a gas stovetop.

Well...sorry for being so long winded. I think I hit all the bases.

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator